Winner is the Judge: May 5th to May 12th

• Winner is the Judge: May 5th to May 12th

What would a blood Elf look like? What could a ruby Coyotle be? How could a Wild Dwarf exist? These are the types of questions I want you to answer today!

The Rules:
      Design a card that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner.

You may submit multiple entries but you will still only be eligible to receive one prize at most.

In addition to any listed prizes, the winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Design Constraint:
      Each race tends to have its 'standard' shards, and thus far Hex has stuck pretty tightly to those. But we are starting to see exceptions be made, the most notable being Lazgar Chul.

What I would like you to design is a card that utilizes off-shard mechanics for a race in an interesting way. Make sure that there is a reason for the mechanics you chose, and if your card has a story, please share it(preferably briefly if you can... I may not have time to read essays ;)).

Remember that these types of mechanics are not something used often, so think carefully about your card choice!

For this particular case I'll be evaluating the card not only on how much I like the idea, but also how well I think it fits into the shards chosen and whether it is an interesting use of the race you choose within those shards.

Reference and Examples:

The primary shards for each race are:
      Human - Diamond/Ruby/Sapphire
      Orc - Blood/Ruby
      Elf - Ruby/Wild
      Coyotle: Diamond/Sapphire/Wild
      Vennen: Blood/Sapphire
      Dwarf: Ruby/Sapphire
      Shin'hare: Blood/Wild
      Necrotic: Diamond/Blood/Ruby/Sapphire

An example of an off-shard card is Lazgar Chul, a Ruby/Blood Vennen who adopts the Orc aggression prevalent in Ruby cards by having speed and an effect that weakens blockers.

Rewards:
      The top three entries will get to pick from the following:

1) 1 Kikaku, 1 Lillyth, 1 Nettlemoss, and 1 The Transcended Mercenary
      2) 1 Eldurathan's Glory, 1 Llama Herder, 1 Princess Victoria, and 1 Ancestral Ambush
      3) 1 Fortress of Ayotochi, 1 Buzztech Innovator, 1 Savvas' Evocation, and 1 Blamsmith

As always, if there are more entries that I like than there are prizes, any entries I particularly like will net a random rare from my collection.

All prizes will be given out at the conclusion of the contest.(Also, if anyone else would like to contribute to the prizes, feel free :))

Deadline:
      The contest ends on May 12th at 4:30 PM PST and judging/prize distribution will happen afterwards.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Eraia ().

• Grakan

2 [WILD] [BLOOD]
      Troop - Orc Plant - Unique

Spore-crazed

Crush

When this deals damage to an opposing champion, a random troop in their hand gains Spore-Crazed.
      This has +1 / +1 for each other Spore-Crazed troop in play.

3/2

"We'll never know for sure, but my fellow scholars believe that Grakan was patient zero" - Cerulean Magus

Spore-crazed: You must play this if possible. Must attack.

I've got some more (one of which I really like) but their thematics aren't quite as clear so gotta still do some work on em.
    • Name: Prototype Seer Dwarf
      Cost: 3
      Threshold Requirement:
      Type: Troop - Dwarf - Unique
      Rarity: Rare
      Ability: Prophecy - The next troop in your deck gets "Conscript a random Dwarf." when you play a troop.
      0 /1
      Favor Text: The dwarfs notice that the coyotles usually were able to properly predict the future so decided to experiment by seeing if they were able to give dwarfs the ability to use Prophecy. - War Hulk
    • Ooh I like the spore-crazed concept. Interesting design space forcing your opponent to play things when they might not want to.

On the subject of prizes, I was so tired when I got home from work that I just plain completely forgot to check my collection. Sorry about that guys. I'm gonna make myself a note to do it tonight so you guys can actually know what you're playing for ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• 'Member how I gottim? Hell, I'll ne'er forgit! Roundabout Abundance Feastin' time, missus sends me to the Square ta git a few things fer our big spread. "Look for the outspoken coyotle fellow, can't miss him," she says. Outspoken is putting it mildly! Well anyway, after hearing his politikin' and agitatin' he asked if I'd take me in some shroomkin. "NOT FOR EATING," he says, but to help the missus round the kitchin. Ain't never seen a walkin', talkin' 'shroom b'fore, but I figured she'd find 'em cute and that coyotle said they made a mean sooooooooup and coooooookies, so I says what the hay, I'll take the lot. First time I seen one of them doggies cry... well he was so overjoyed he said he'd share me a secret, and asked if I'd rescue this here rabbit, too, "NOT FOR EATING". Missus adores anything remotely fluffy, so of course I said yes.

Now the soooooup was fine and the Feast was goooood, and Tibbles turned out to be a great pet. 'Till he met that lady rabbit, that is - the trouble with Tibbles, the missus called it - but that's a story for another time.

Tibbles
      3 [SAPPHIRE]
      Troop: Shin'Hare
      [ARDENT] Unique Rare

Coyotle Allegiance: You may play this for free.
      Deploy: Summon The Trouble with Tibbles.
      When another Shin'Hare enters play under your control, draw a card.

'Till he met that lady rabbit, that is - the trouble with Tibbles, the missus called it...

[ATTACK] 1 / 2 [DEFENSE]

The Trouble with Tibbles
      3 [SAPPHIRE]
      Constant
      At the beginning of your turn, if you control 1 or fewer Shin'Hare, summon a random Concubunny. It gets tunneling: 1.
      At the end of your turn, put 3X Battle Hoppers into each player's deck, where X is half the number of exhausted Shin'Hare in play (rounded down).

My original design wasn't living up to the "trouble with tribbles" theme (exponential shin'hare growth).

The post was edited 1 time, last by GeneralVeers ().

• [Blocked Image: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1d/72/d5/1d72d5f04d862616e2546b82d221a7e4.jpg]
      Princess Volosolov
      Unique
      Necrotic Princess
      3 [DIAMOND] [BLOOD] [RUBY]
      [UNDERWORLD] Unique
      1 [ATTACK] 2 [DEFENSE]
      All necrotic troop you control have lifedrain and steadfast
      if princess Volosolov is in your opening hand, she lost all her threshold and cost -3

Description: After being captured by the underworld army, Princess Victoria commit suicide. her corpse was given to Madame Anana.
    • Qiemosi wrote:

Princess Volosolov
      Unique
      Necrotic Princess
      Unique
      1 2
      if princess Volosolov is in your opening hand, she lost all her threshold and cost -3

Description: After being captured by the underworld army, Princess Victoria commit suicide. her corpse was given to Madame Anana.
      If I may ask, which shard from among those is off-shard for Necrotic? And what makes her 'different' from other necrotic enough to fit in with the theme?

• Eraia wrote:

Qiemosi wrote:

Princess Volosolov
      Unique
      Necrotic Princess
      Unique
      1 2

If I may ask, which shard from among those is off-shard for Necrotic? And what makes her 'different' from other necrotic enough to fit in with the theme?
      necrotic usually either blood diamond or rainbow. it is hard to say which one is off shard for necrotic. unless you do wild shard, which necrotic race don't really have access to. so if i put wild shard on there, this card will be unplayable for the necrotic race.

as of different?? well first none of the necrotic have ability that reduce card cost if its in the opening hand. currently only vampire and human princess have this ability. second necrotic race lack buffing troop, eg inspire troop in human deck.. this isn't exactly inspire, but very close to how things work.

only troop similar to her would be Prodigy of Volosolov, which grant +2/2 for all necrotic troop.

p.s. sure i could give inspire instead, but that wouldn't make much sense lore wise. and if make her wild shard threshold, she will be not viable to necrotic race.. i thought we are making things that are practical and lore friendly?
    • Shoku's Lab Rat
      2 [WILD]
      0 [ATTACK] 3 [DEFENSE]

Troop: [UNDERWORLD] Vennen Warlock

Text: Exhaust --> Summon a Dreadling for each point of Defense, then lose 1 [DEFENSE]

Quote: "Shoku's experiments require more than one catalyst."

Didn't know about this subforum... or never checked. Told Eraia I would, and will donate a Rare to each prize that closely resembles the created cards direction.
    • ok.. since my entry doesn't qualify, ill make a new one..lol

Zerathura, The Far seer
      Coyotle Necrotic cleric
      Unique 4 [DIAMOND] [WILD] [BLOOD]

[ATTACK] 3 [DEFENSE] 3
      When a Prophesied card is played, Zerathura, the Far seer get +2/+2
      Far seer- When enemy play a Prophesied card, it apply to your deck instead.

Quote "The future is in my grasp"

p.s. not only this is card that no race can actually play it.. it also count as both coyotle and necrotic. plus it steal prophecy effect... sorta of a counter to coyotle deck.
    • Black Sun, The Lost
      3 [SAPPHIRE] [BLOOD]
      Legendary
      Troop - Chaostouched Coyotle Warlock - Unique

Unblockable

At the start of each champion's turn look at the top card of their deck, you may put it into their deck.

2/2

We walked amongst the stars and witnessed horrors which have yet to happen.

-------

Sister Midnight had been long silent and the Coyotle became more concerned with each passing moon. What had happened to the guiding voice which had been present throughout their entire existence? Relentlessly the mystics entered the Dream in search of answers, in search of meaning. Many went missing, lost in the vastness of the cosmos. When Dawn's Breath returned claiming to have found something, it was clear that there were only more questions left to be answered.

-------

The flavor is that after going into the Dream, the coyotle (Dawn's Breath) has returned after coming into contact with some unspeakable being. THEY have come back different and THEY did not come back alone.
    • Qiemosi wrote:

necrotic usually either blood diamond or rainbow. it is hard to say which one is off shard for necrotic. unless you do wild shard, which necrotic race don't really have access to. so if i put wild shard on there, this card will be unplayable for the necrotic race.

as of different?? well first none of the necrotic have ability that reduce card cost if its in the opening hand. currently only vampire and human princess have this ability. second necrotic race lack buffing troop, eg inspire troop in human deck.. this isn't exactly inspire, but very close to how things work.

only troop similar to her would be Prodigy of Volosolov, which grant +2/2 for all necrotic troop.

p.s. sure i could give inspire instead, but that wouldn't make much sense lore wise. and if make her wild shard threshold, she will be not viable to necrotic race.. i thought we are making things that are practical and lore friendly?
      I didn't mean to offend, I was merely asking since we have a fair number of ruby Necrotic cards, and necrotic have a few effects that buff other necrotic, so I was curious to hear your reasoning.

The necrotic are in a weird space so I was simply asking for you to elaborate on your reasoning. I apologize if you got the impression I was accusing your entry of being invalid. It certainly is not... but your second entry is absolutely welcome as well.

• Eraia wrote:

Qiemosi wrote:

I didn't mean to offend, I was merely asking since we have a fair number of ruby Necrotic cards, and necrotic have a few effects that buff other necrotic, so I was curious to hear your reasoning.
      The necrotic are in a weird space so I was simply asking for you to elaborate on your reasoning. I apologize if you got the impression I was accusing your entry of being invalid. It certainly is not... but your second entry is absolutely welcome as well.
      yea that is a big problem.. i hope they fix necrotic's shard grid in the future.. it take level 15 to actually play shifting deck, since no other race/hireling have better black diamond shard alignment T_T

sorry for my tone, am just a bit angry because i can't play my shifting deck in pve T_T
    • There was a time when human rulers always sought out coyotle advisers due to the prophetic abilities of the coyotle. Even though some coyotle prophecies foretold calamity, they always contained a message of hope and being able to prepare for the future. However, the horrors of war left a scar on the coyotle. Their visions darkened, and the growing Darkmoon sect of the coyotle now only foretold doom and despair with no hope of redemption.

The humans no longer seek guidance from the coyotle any more.

Darkmoon Prophet
      3 [BLOOD] [BLOOD]

Troop - Coyotle Warlock

Omen - The next troop in each opponent's deck gets -2 [MUSTATTACK] /-2 [DEFENSE]

2 [ATTACK] / 1 [DEFENSE]

Designer comments
      Coyotle are a race about looking to the future. But with the shards of Sapphire, Wild, and especially Diamond, they mechanically always foretold a future of growth and propsperity. The Darkmoon coyotle are a tribe of coyotle that use Blood magic to see a future of destruction.

"Omen" is identical in function to "Prophecy" in that it is an ability word, but the difference is that prophecy effects boost your deck while omen effects mess with the opponent's deck. I kept my submitted implementation simple, but there is a lot of interesting design space with possible omen effects to screw with the opponent's deck:
      "The next action in each opponent's deck gets "When you draw this, discard a card."
      "The next next troop in each opponent's deck transforms into a Zombie. It loses all thresholds."
      "The next resource in each opponent's deck gets <-1/0>."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Arcanyx: Forgot the class ().

• Yancy, Repairitor of Redemption
      3 [DIAMOND]
      Troop - Dwarf Cleric Unique

Tunneling 2
      When an artifact you control is put into a crypt from play, you may tunnel Yancy. If you do, tunnel that artifact. If it has tunneling, its tunneling number becomes 2. Otherwise, it gets tunneling 2.

In the war against the Ardent, Yancy learned the value of preserving machines, if not lives.

2/3

(Reminder text: You cannot tunnel a card that is already tunneled)

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirthingPodder ().

• One with Nothing
      2 [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Troop - Elf Warlock

Lethal
      Cards can't be created.

The elves of the Glimmerroot Forrest lost everything when the Vennen surfaced. They do their best to repay the atrocity in kind.

1/4

Explination Edit: This card was inspired specifically by Eria asking for a blood elf. Elves are known for their love of creation, so it felt fitting to me for my blood elf to be anti-creation to the extreme. Vennen were picked as the antithesis race because their main mechanic, spiderling eggs, involves creating cards in two steps (putting the eggs in deck and the eggs creating spiders). The stats are intended to be one better than Exarch of the Egg. The name has a double meaning.

I was thinking of the card as an anti TM, anti hideous conversion card for immortal but now I think the ability is likely too general of hate to ever be put on a card. It shuts down valor, dreadlings, spiders, but also random things like Ardent Crusader's deathcry, Psychic Ascension, Mad Robomancer, and a bunch of champion powers like Dreaming Fox and Morgan McBombus. I guess I can dream about there being hate cards this good.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirthingPodder ().

• Just wanted to say that I am REALLY impressed by a lot of the entires here. Keep 'em comin', I hope we can make it even harder for me to judge this time than it was last time! ;)

• Salklas
      3 [BLOOD] [DIAMOND]
      Legendary
      Troop - Necrotic Warrior - Unique

Deploy: Create Lucius and put him into your deck.
      When this attacks lose two health and cards in your hand gain "You may not play this." until end of turn. Then move each Lucius in your deck up up [3] spaces, then double the bolded number. If the top card of your deck is Lucius, put him into play.

3/3

Lucius
      4 [DIAMOND] [DIAMOND]
      Troop - Great Wolf - Unique

Steadfast
      Deploy: Void all your Salklas in all zones then summon Jamie Lucian.
      Jamie Lucian you control have "Deathcry - Put this into play at the end of the turn."

5/4

Jamie Lucian
      3 [BLOOD] [DIAMOND]
      Troop - Human Warrior - Unique

When this attacks gain 3 health and then you may destroy target opposing troop.

3/3

______

So right off the bat I'm gonna say that this card is definitely jumping the shark as far as lore is concerned. It feels to me like the person who wishes for a million more wishes or the kid playing D&D who keeps coming up with reasons why their mage is the most powerful thing in all existence and can never die etc... So I'm gonna just skip writing any story here because no matter what it is gonna be absurd. With that outta the way I can still talk about the thematics, Lucius carries a diamond gem powerful enough to bring someone back so long as they share an intimate bond. Lucius is hunting down Salklas to do just that and when Lucius appears he kills Salklas so that he can turn her back into Jamie. Despite being reverted back to her human form, Jamie still retains some of her memories and power gained during her time spent as a necrotic.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this card probably BARELY fits the prompt, that the human isn't really the card you are playing. This was the first card that I came up with for this prompt though and I really wanted to still tweak it & put it out there because I thought the idea was kinda neat.
    • 4 - Rune Ear Heretic
      [WILD] [RUBY]
      [ARDENT] TROOP - Shin'hare Rogue - Legendary
      3 [ATTACK] 3 [DEFENSE]
      SOCKETABLE MAJOR
      SOCKETABLE MINOR
      Mobilize, Speed
      When an [ARDENT] Shin'hare enters play under your control this gets +1 [ATTACK] +1 [DEFENSE] .
      Diligence - Conscript a random Shin'hare. It becomes [ARDENT] .

" I won't become a meaningless sacrifice like most of my kind. That's why I want to join your alliance. Plus, I'm not the only one...."
      [Blocked Image: http://wardens.hexcompendium.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/cropped-wardens-of-entraht-logo-tranparent.png]The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!