[OLD] Frost Arena - Deck Tier List

• Gorgoroth wrote:

Transience wrote:

I have a FRA question. Is there a timer on the matches? My mom called me while I was playing a match so I just muted my desktop and had a conversation. When I came back the defeat screen was on. Did not expect that. ;(
      I think it's like 30 minutes of inactivity.
      Well, <30 minutes phone calls are a sheer impossible challenge for my mom so that's kind of bad.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Galliard wrote:

It's going to take some iteration (and desire to play more FRA), but a basic Voice of the Ashwood/Gore Feast shell seems to be working with Marzul.

Reactor Bot is actually working quite well, with Stalagmage and Firedancer being good budget options for damage. The whole deck would be budget if not for the Voices.

Also, the AI seems to really enjoy killing Stormsprites despite them coming back.
      Could you take some time and point me to a version of the deck's you are referring to above?

What does a "basic Voice of the Ashwood/Gore Feast..." deck look like? How about Stalagmage Firedancer? And is there a post showing the use of Stormsprites?

Thanks so much.
    • BTW, if you post some decks you'd like to see run through FRA, I have most of the cards and can put the decks together, I don't mind running FRA mainly because I have yet to see Urunaaz. Plus, I like to see how different strategies work together. I'll go back up in the previous posts and see a couple of the decks Nico asked to have looked at and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know what I discover.
    • TalonBreck wrote:

Galliard wrote:

It's going to take some iteration (and desire to play more FRA), but a basic Voice of the Ashwood/Gore Feast shell seems to be working with Marzul.

Reactor Bot is actually working quite well, with Stalagmage and Firedancer being good budget options for damage. The whole deck would be budget if not for the Voices.

Also, the AI seems to really enjoy killing Stormsprites despite them coming back.
      Could you take some time and point me to a version of the deck's you are referring to above?
      What does a "basic Voice of the Ashwood/Gore Feast..." deck look like? How about Stalagmage Firedancer? And is there a post showing the use of Stormsprites?

Thanks so much.
      The "Voices, Boulders, and Gore" deck in the tier list is a good example of a Voice of the Ashwood/Gore Feast deck. You get out a Voice using the Speed equipment, then use those resources to play a Gore Feast and do a bunch of damage. It works quite well with Elf Warriors in the campaign.

Stalagmage and Firedancer are good because they're Ardent troops that trigger Marzul. And when you Gorefeast their ability triggers twice in a turn - the Stalagmage from readying and the Firedancer from attacking.

As for Stormsprite, with Marzul it's really easy to get two charges in a turn so he never stays dead. And due to his Rage: 1, the AI values the troop highly and will frequently choose to kill it instead of another troop. So then it comes back.

The deck still needs work, but this is what I have at the moment for Marzul:
      hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=202171

If you cut the copies of The Crowd Roars for something else, the deck ends up fairly budget. Though the Voices are still not cheap.
    • Galliard wrote:

The "Voices, Boulders, and Gore" deck in the tier list is a good example of a Voice of the Ashwood/Gore Feast deck. You get out a Voice using the Speed equipment, then use those resources to play a Gore Feast and do a bunch of damage. It works quite well with Elf Warriors in the campaign.
      Stalagmage and Firedancer are good because they're Ardent troops that trigger Marzul. And when you Gorefeast their ability triggers twice in a turn - the Stalagmage from readying and the Firedancer from attacking.

As for Stormsprite, with Marzul it's really easy to get two charges in a turn so he never stays dead. And due to his Rage: 1, the AI values the troop highly and will frequently choose to kill it instead of another troop. So then it comes back.

If you cut the copies of The Crowd Roars for something else, the deck ends up fairly budget. Though the Voices are still not cheap.

I was tinkering with something similar, but instead of Stalagmage and Firedancer i was trying Goremaster and Rockslider/reactor bot, plus zap in place of burn for extra charge.

Your look faster, i will try it
    • Graydeath wrote:

Galliard wrote:

I was tinkering with something similar, but instead of Stalagmage and Firedancer i was trying Goremaster and Rockslider/reactor bot, plus zap in place of burn for extra charge.

Your look faster, i will try it
      I'm actually using Reactor Bot as well and just forgot it when building the deck from memory in tcgbrowser. It's capable of putting out a ridiculous amount of damage.

I tried Goremaster too, but at 3 cost it's too slow. I didn't try Rockslider but I expect it would have the same problems.
    • B/W Dreadling Conscript

I sometimes still run FRA just for fun, and this deck is very good both in terms of resilience to the big threats and in game plan. It has three ways to kill an opponent: One Thousand Cuts (dreadlings), Hulk Smash (unblockable/big guys) and Sucker Punch (Eremite). Two win conditions are dreadling-based, and the third one is basically big Underworld Recruiter / Sharpshooter or an unblockable threat (Hierophant/Rot Caster). It took a lot of trial and error to come to this list, and I am rather fond of it, because it's elegant and pretty powerful as long as you have something on the board.

Whilst it is not cheap, the most of the cost is in the rare shard base, Hierophants (can be substituted for Rot Casters) and Herofalls. Now, about Herofalls: its equip works only partially (doesn't reduce cost in hand), but when I tried it first, it felt like a piece of puzzle that finally falls into place. It deals with Invincible and other big guns, all the while providing you with a useful tool to swing or to stall. Doesn't work on Underworld troops, but it isn't much of a problem unless you are fighting Xarlox, and even then it is useful as fodder for Jack-hats.

The deck is not lightning fast, because it has a fair number of moving pieces and decisions to make, but it can win as early as turn 3 with a great hand, and generally wins on turns 4 or 5 with good hands. It curves out at 3 resources because you simply never have enough to cast anything more unless you are flooded like crazy. That's why I don't run Cenobites, Exchanges and Scrolls here: they are too slow and resource-heavy. The same goes for Rot Caster. It is a good PVE card that certainly has a lot of natural synergy with this deck, but your 3-cost slot is already packed with more important card. Progenitist is a center piece of the deck, Eremite is an alternate win condition, and Hierophant does the same job as an equipped Rot Caster, but better. What's more, Rot Caster adds an additional layer of decisions and allows for more greedy tactics (as in, 'I'm gonna wait for one more turn to maximize its effectiveness'), which isn't very good in terms of timing. This is not the fastest deck as it is, there is no need to allow for opportunity to make it even slower.

Jack-hats with equip are awesome. They fill 2-cost slot and synergize well with Progenitists. Jack-hats along with Conscripts make sure that you never really run out of cards.

Bitter Dread is deceptively powerful. You usually cast it to fuel Progenitists and Eremites, but sometimes it steals games all by itself.
      Joke is a very serious thing.
    • I did it! I finally did it. A perfect FRA run.

8) 8) 8)

I've had lots of runs with either 1 or 2 misses now but never managed to get those sleeves. So I decided to grab one of the decks listed on the first page of this thread. First try I had two misses. Then I changed the deck just slightly and it worked.

The original deck is @NicoSharp 's Terrormill deck. This is the version of the deck I used:

Frostmill

I added 4x Well of Cunning and 2x Necropolis Coins and took out some basic shards for that.

I also took out 2x Call the Grave and 1x Syzygy and replaced them with 3x Blood's Favor

Call the Grave is an excellent combo with Dream Eagle (both with equipment) and will sometimes let you cycle through a large part of your deck to find what you need. However, a significant amount of times Call the Grave is useless in your hand and with this deck you really want every card to matter since a lot of the time you are racing your opponent trying to do lethal damage by milling them before they win and/or getting out Terrorantulas. Sitting on a handful of 'dead' Call the Graves with no Eagle in your crypt can be a losing scenario and the chances of being able to play something from opponent's crypt as a backup aren't always great either. Syzygy is great but 1 in play is usually good enough. More than 2 is certainly overkill.

So I changed these out for Blood's Favor. Blood's Favor is decent because it can draw you two extra cards obviously. But it is excellent in those matches where opponent plays aggro and is fast enough to be able to kill you while you've only milled half or 3/4th of their deck. In such a case you can use Blood Siphon to gain a lot of life giving you a couple of extra turns to finish the mill. This card has definitely gotten me the two wins in my second run which I lost during the first run.

For those wanting to try this deck; Phenteo's Gift with it's equipments is the star here. If you have at least one in your opening hand you would have to be really unlucky to lose the game. It's a fun deck because it's very consistent and seeing large spiders pop up in ridiculous numbers on your side of the battlefield is always fun. There is very little interaction to this deck though so it will get stale at some point. If you have the cards it's worth giving it a try.

(Sidenote; I used the gold from the two runs to buy my first Oni pack and got the Chest of the Oni Order, so time well spent. ^^ )
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Transience ().

• I unfortunately have a laundry list of things to do before focusing more time on this thread, but will try to get it all out of the way before set 7. Here is what I'd consider a current tier 0 slaughtergear deck.

I'd imagine these flimsy cores won't stand up to the new tweaked arena without more removal and tricks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NicoSharp ().