-

• Perandus wrote:

Most real life communications are like this, actually. Think of public classrooms where the teacher may ask some students to quiet down, or private parties where the hosts may ask some guests to leave. There are few public or private conversations where we must wait for the police, the equivalent of forum moderators, to stop disruptions and derailing. We normally manage the conversations ourselves. This is an example of decentralized management, and it's one of the reasons why Facebook and Twitter are more popular than most forums.
    ........... most communication in real life is the exact opposite of this.

No matter how much I hate Bob in accounting, there's nothing I can do to prevent Bob from being able to come chat with me at work. I can try my best to not pay attention, but to do so is generally NOT considered acceptable, and may even get me fired if I do it seriously enough as it can be considered harassment in a lot of places.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • just to briefly clear this up:

The suggestion wasnt just about controlling who can respond in a thread you created but make it so in general that when you have someone on your ignore list they generally cannot see your forum posts. I tried to explain that that might be problematic (especialy when you potentialy talk about people on a forum and those people cannot even see what was said about them) and Jeff responded with a brief "of course you would be against that cause you would be the first one that I would have on such a list and I am sure many others peoples list as well" (more or less verbatim).

In general:
    Public forums are just that...public.
    The only people who should be able to censor are forum admins and even they should be very careful with that power.
    Having players being able to censor each other (or to be more exact: targeted conceiling of ones posts to certain users) would beat the purpose of a public forum and might very well lead to complete chaos.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Metronomy ().

• Nothing...we dont need to talk about any personal disdains here.

I think this thread can be closed anyways.
    The thread creator apparently changed his mind about his suggestion.
    Instead of just deleting the posts the better way to handle this would have been to just say that "edit: I changed my mind..thread can be closed" but so be it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• Eraia,

If someone chats with you at work and you don't like it, then:
    1. If you are busy or bored, then let him know. If you want to be polite, you can use body language instead of bluntly saying that you are bored. Or you can pretend to be boring, i.e. by talking in short, emotionless sentences. Most people don't like to chat with boring people.
    2. If he continues to bother you, then talk to the manager.
    We normally manage these conversations ourselves. We don't wait for the police, the equivalent of forum moderators, to manage it for us.

Metronomy,

Public forums are not "just public." There are many kinds of public forums, and each of them has different rules. Compare the comment sections in newspapers like the New York Times, the town hall meetings in political elections, and the interviews of public officials on television. All of them are public or semi-public forums under US constitutional laws, but they all have different rules about the author (who may read and write), the topic (what they may read and write about), and the style (how they may read and write about it). They don't have the same rules. Secondly, this is a private forum because Hex is a private business and we discuss private issues, so your arguments about public forums don't even apply.
  • Perandus wrote:

If he continues to bother you, then talk to the manager.
    In a real work environment, if you go to your manager and say 'bob talks to me sometimes, I dislike him so can you make him stop' your manager will look at you like you're a little kid and make a note on your permanent record about your immaturity.

I'm not talking harassment, I'm talking a normal conversation from someone you dislike.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • Perandus wrote:

• Thread creators may block people. If they block someone, then that person cannot write in their threads anymore. If the blocked person wants to discuss the same issue, then they would have to create and manage their own thread or find another one.

To me, once you make a thread on a public forum to discuss about a topic, it's not "your thread" anymore and everyone who wants to discuss about said topic has the right to (as long as their is no deviance, insults or such things, but we have moderators for that). This thread is the perfect example, you might delete all your posts and the initial post of the thread, the discussion keeps going on.
    If someone wants to discuss some topic only with people agreeing with him/her to feed his/her ego, then a public forum is not the place for that.
  • Eraia,

Don't simply say to your manager:
    • "Bob talks to me sometimes and I don't like him."
    Try:
    • "Bob sometimes bothers me when I'm working."
    • "Bob sometimes distracts me when I'm working."
    • "Bob sometimes talks to me when he should be working."
    Because your manager probably wants you or Bob to work. Social skill is one of the most useful skills in life, and choice of word is important. You can try my first suggestion too.

Sadystik,

This is a private forum, and even if it was a public forum, it can still have a rule that says both the forum moderator and thread creator may block someone from writing in their thread. As I said before, there are many kinds of public and semi-public forums, each with different rules. Saying "This is a public forum" is false and ignores the fact that there are many there kinds of public forums. It also ignores the fact that popular private forums like Facebook and Twitter have a rule that is similar to Jeff's suggestion.