-

• Cant you really see the issue with making it so that people cant see what you write publibly(!) and maybe about them ?

Forums are public. If you write here it is public. You can try and filter what you want to see but dont even think of deciding to limit what others may see. Only forum admins can decide that and even they can and do get it wrong sometimes (edit: thats also why they try to act very carefully and thoughtful with those decisions...you dont wanna have unnecessary or overreaching censorship in public forums).

As a sidenote...who decides what is trolling behaviour and what is not ? You wouldnt believe who gets accussed of trolling sometimes ;) .

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• JeffHoogland wrote:

Currently if you block someone on the forums basically nothing happens. Their posts get "collapsed" when you read a thread they've responded to, but they can still read and respond to things you have written. Is it possible to make the block function actually block users from reading your posts?
    Blocking a person is meant to prevent you from seeing their comments, not the other way around.

It is not supposed to exclude the other person from any conversation involving you, simply to remove their posts from your sight. Any more than that is a bit too much power to give to people. You should not be able to control who sees what you post on a (relatively) public forum... what you control is what you see.

I can see the justification in people asking for blocking to remove the person's posts entirely... although I disagree with that personally, I can understand why people request it... but this request is a bit too extreme.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
  • Darkwonders wrote:

Jeff is right that both Twitter and Facebook prevent the blocked person from seeing anything the blocker posts.
    I don't know about you, but this trend is really concerning for me. We're encouraging a culture built on writing people off as hopeless, built on creating circles of people where disagreement can be silenced permanently(not saying that's what you'd use it for, but it is possible).

If blocking completely prevents interaction, there's literally no chance for reconciliation. Ever. Do we really want that to be the type of culture we promote within our community here?

JeffHoogland wrote:

As is at the very least the block function should probably be hidden if its functionality is not changed because it essentially doesn't do anything.
    I just wanted to point out that what block does here is what it has done on every forum I've ever been a part of. I've never seen it do anything else on a forum.
    Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• JeffHoogland wrote:

This is happening regardless of what the block function does. The difference being is that frustrated users will generally just leave instead of blocking the source of their frustration so they no longer have to interact with them.
    There are a lot of negative things that happen regardless of what we do. There's a big difference between 'they happen anyways' and 'we're actively encouraging it by building structure for it'.

• Eraia wrote:

Darkwonders wrote:

Jeff is right that both Twitter and Facebook prevent the blocked person from seeing anything the blocker posts.
    I don't know about you, but this trend is really concerning for me. We're encouraging a culture built on writing people off as hopeless, built on creating circles of people where disagreement can be silenced permanently(not saying that's what you'd use it for, but it is possible).
    If blocking completely prevents interaction, there's literally no chance for reconciliation. Ever. Do we really want that to be the type of culture we promote within our community here?

JeffHoogland wrote:

As is at the very least the block function should probably be hidden if its functionality is not changed because it essentially doesn't do anything.
    I just wanted to point out that what block does here is what it has done on every forum I've ever been a part of. I've never seen it do anything else on a forum.

Unfortunately people + online = asshole posts. Just take a look at any political post on facebook. You'd weep for humanity at the amount of vile dribble that spews from the mouths of some people onto the screen. There's no reconciliation for those people. Better to wipe your hands of their nonsense and move on and pretend they don't exist.
    There was a signature here. It's gone now.
  • Jeff was right.

I like Jeff's suggestion because it's an intermediate step between forum moderator and no moderator at all. Most forums allow moderators to manage all threads, for example:
    • Forum moderators may ban people. If they ban someone, then that person cannot write anywhere on the forum anymore.
    Jeff's suggestion allows thread creators to manage their own threads, which makes the moderators' job easier:
    • Thread creators may block people. If they block someone, then that person cannot write in their threads anymore. If the blocked person wants to discuss the same issue, then they would have to create and manage their own thread or find another one.
    Facebook and Twitter have a similar rule. If you block someone on Facebook or Twitter, then neither of you can see each other's tweets. If the blocked person want to discuss the same issue, then they would have to create and manage their own thread or find another one. In short, everyone may manage their own thread.

Most real life communications are like this, actually. Think of public classrooms where the teacher may ask some students to quiet down, or private parties where the hosts may ask some guests to leave. There are few public or private conversations where we must wait for the police, the equivalent of forum moderators, to stop disruptions and derailing. We normally manage the conversations ourselves. This is an example of decentralized management, and it's one of the reasons why Facebook and Twitter are more popular than most forums.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Perandus ().