Make Packs Worth Buying, Also

    • JeffHoogland wrote:

      I don't see how adding varied items to packs makes just opening them instead of playing sealed / draft / evo with them any more appealing. I can still get more value / play time from my packs by playing with them.

      Bully for you. I used to buy at least 2 cases of every Magic set at each release just to seed my collection for constructed and foil chance. In fact, that's so important to the ecosystem they have started adding a higher rarity to nearly every set. If you can't see the value in it, that is so, so far outside of my concern.

      Right now I literally seed my Hex collection through drafting or the auction house. That is of zero help to the business with each release as my behavior does not change in a more profitable way.

      JeffHoogland wrote:

      Most all of the CCGs where people just buy packs all the time to open them that is literally all you can do with them.

      I uh, that didn't at all answer my question?

      Edit: I suppose I should be more clear, there's only one other CCG that matters. It's called Magic. As Hearthstone has no trading ecosystem, there's no collectibility to it. Pretty sure even Elder Scrolls got "foils" (animated cards) right. But I could be wrong as it's just 2 lane Hearthstone so I haven't bothered spending money on it.
    • schild wrote:

      Bully for you. I used to buy at least 2 cases of every Magic set at each release just to seed my collection for constructed and foil chance. In fact, that's so important to the ecosystem they have started adding a higher rarity to nearly every set. If you can't see the value in it, that is so, so far outside of my concern.

      Right now I literally seed my Hex collection through drafting or the auction house. That is of zero help to the business with each release as my behavior does not change in a more profitable way.
      Unless you are getting boxes of Magic directly from a distributor you were better off in that game spending your money on Magic singles and limited also I hate to break it to you.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

      schild wrote:

      Bully for you. I used to buy at least 2 cases of every Magic set at each release just to seed my collection for constructed and foil chance. In fact, that's so important to the ecosystem they have started adding a higher rarity to nearly every set. If you can't see the value in it, that is so, so far outside of my concern.

      Right now I literally seed my Hex collection through drafting or the auction house. That is of zero help to the business with each release as my behavior does not change in a more profitable way.
      Unless you are getting boxes of Magic directly from a distributor you were better off in that game spending your money on Magic singles and limited also I hate to break it to you.
      I was thanks.
    • I don't think you know what trolling is. I'm 90% sure the topic wasn't "Hey Hoogland, come in here and give your opinion on how to play a game," but I could be wrong.

      If you are under the impression I wanted to get a rise out of you, you are sadly mistaken. This thread is not about you. It is about packs.
    • You are saying X is bad because of Y and then made comparisons that don't make sense.

      First you compared it to Magic, where you yourself said you were only compelled to open packs because you got them at a steep discount.

      Then you compare it to other CCGs where the only thing you can do with packs is open them.

      Your proposed solution likely doesn't produce the result you want. Putting chase cards into packs doesn't make it more appealing to open them instead of playing limited with them. It just means when you draft with them you are inclined to take the chase card like a bride or other high value cards.
    • schild wrote:

      JeffHoogland wrote:

      schild wrote:

      there's only one other CCG that matters. It's called Magic.
      Smart people don't just buy packs of Magic to open either unless they are getting a steep discount.
      The assumption that the average consumer is smart is precious.
      I'm not sure what you're getting at here but you're completely off subject, which is that packs suck and there's no reason for them to suck.
      This makes it seem like a troll thread sadly. I am not sure what is going on. But, just saying packs suck is not very constructive.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

      You are saying X is bad because of Y and then made comparisons that don't make sense.

      First you compared it to Magic, where you yourself said you were only compelled to open packs because you got them at a steep discount.

      Then you compare it to other CCGs where the only thing you can do with packs is open them.

      Your proposed solution likely doesn't produce the result you want. Putting chase cards into packs doesn't make it more appealing to open them instead of playing limited with them. It just means when you draft with them you are inclined to take the chase card like a bride or other high value cards.
      1. X is bad because X is bad. Not because of some imaginary Y variable. The only reason to buy packs is to draft with them or inefficiently seed a collection hoping for a primal. This is absurd and easily fixed.

      2. No, I didn't bring up a discount until you made lousy assumptions out of boredom or something. And only after you told me how to play a game.

      3. No, you brought up mystery other CCGs where the only thing you can do is open packs. I made no such claim.

      4. Again, this is on a per player basis. See: Foil Goyf. Also, I don't see the issue here. That's a player decision.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

      schild wrote:

      JeffHoogland wrote:

      schild wrote:

      there's only one other CCG that matters. It's called Magic.
      Smart people don't just buy packs of Magic to open either unless they are getting a steep discount.
      The assumption that the average consumer is smart is precious.I'm not sure what you're getting at here but you're completely off subject, which is that packs suck and there's no reason for them to suck.
      This makes it seem like a troll thread sadly. I am not sure what is going on. But, just saying packs suck is not very constructive.
      Sadly, Hoogland would have to be blamed. I'm saying do something with packs to make them appealing on their own, as they currently are not.

      This wasn't for other players. This was for developers. I like spending money on things I like. Hex doesn't give me a reason to blow it on packs. They should. That's the entire idea enclosed here.

      Jeff just felt the need to tell me how to play the game for whatever reason.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

      You literally compared packs in Hex to packs in other games in the first line of your first post.
      "Other games" used like that is a dogwhistle for Magic.

      You new here?

      Edit: I have literally done it dozens of times (if not hundreds) through the board iterations. Though I think at one point I put in the effort - during the lawsuit I believe - of "That Other Game"
    • Also, good god, what's the crime here?

      Saying "I want a single good reason to open packs" vs "I see no reason to open packs."

      That literally anyone is opposed to this in any fashion is absurd. You don't even need to open the packs to get the primal proc. You get them on delivery of packs.

      It's ridiculous and makes no business sense whatsoever.
    • schild wrote:


      This wasn't for other players. This was for developers. I like spending money on things I like. Hex doesn't give me a reason to blow it on packs. They should. That's the entire idea enclosed here.
      If you like playing limited, buy packs and play with them. If you like playing constructed, buy singles from other people who bought packs, or buy packs and try to get lucky. If you like AA cards or AAA cards, buy them from the store, or buy VIP, or level up your account, or play in the clash. There are plenty of ways to spend money on hex. Whatever it is that you want, there is a way to buy it (other than sleeves and battleboards.) Packs fill their purpose. If that purpose is not something you are interested in, buy whatever it is you are interested in.
    • I don't think it's useful to argue against people's personal likes/dislikes/vices. I'm pretty sure schild *knows* that it'd be a bad move to crack open packs outright but he'd still do it because he's weird like that (no offence ;) we're all weird when it comes to something).
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

      Smart consumers don't buy Magic packs at retail just to open them either. Do those packs "suck" also then?

      Besides that being a presumptuous thing to say, Wizards constantly sells packs to consumers. Otherwise they wouldn't stock them at Walmart, Target, etc.

      Also, Inventions, Expeditions, Invocations, etc wouldn't exist.

      So, keep it going with the adjective "smart," it's really driving your point home.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Zophie: Zophie | Edit | Removed some unnecessary adjectives ().