Make Packs Worth Buying, Also

• If you wanna move the excitement from cracking a pack to spinning/opening a chest be my guest. Right now chests arent that exciting at all. At the end it probably would come down to the same I gues.

As to your last paragraph..maybe we are speaking past each other and maybe I am just not understanding your question but here:
      Simple supply and Demand. Legendary x is as common as legendary y but legendary x might have 20 times the demand making it worth 20 times as much as y.
      Now with foils (to stay with the example) you would have much less supply (since the total number of foil brides in the system will always be much smaller than nonfoil brides..depends on the ratio..e.g. 1:70)..this would most likely result in a much higher price for the foil version.
    • I'm saying the only way you "move" excitement to a chest, with the current offerings we have, is disassociate it from the Wheels of Fate.
      However, it's not really "moving" excitement - It's giving you two unique opportunities to be excited - Once when you open the pack, for the rare/legendary/or card pool; and again when you open the chest. If Spins are rewarded as a third item unique to a pack, 3x the excitement, if you choose to YOLO.
    • Opening a pack outside of limited has a nice feel already. A nice animation and the now typical "click to show the rare" thing. Sadly it stops right here if the chests appear.

It feels not good to open the chest without spinning, but there is a cost to spin right there. So people put the chest aside. You somehow feel "bad" for spinning the chest, because you have better or more interesting possibilities to spend your gold. Now you overcome this "feel-bad" and spend the gold to remain in the "flow" of earning your rewards. Maybe the wheel of fate upgrades your chest. Now you feel even more bad, as you need to spend more gold to spin again. Now your chest is rare, you have paid a lot of gold and open the chest to get 2 common equip-drops that you have no use for... Not a great experience.

Put more interesting rewards in the chests but create a flow that does not put obstacles in the way to earn these rewards. Players should open the pack, get their chest and open the chest right away to get additional rewards. The wheel of fate breaks this flow.
    • Honestly, to break up that 'feel bad' of seeing a chest after opening a pack, the first spin on any chest should be free.

THEN if you get nothing, you are offered the chance to pay gold for a respin, price based on the rarity of the chest.

This allows for the excitement of opening both the pack and the chest, and still keeps in the gambling element of paying to roll.

Also, I'm with Jeff on the whole 'increasing value' of packs thing. After ten pages I still can't tell whether schild and other want to add more stuff to ALL packs or if they want a bonus that can only be got by cracking a pack in Kismet's well. Maybe it got buried in all the noise but summing it up again might help deal with some of the confusion we are seeing in this conversation.
    • Okay, so then it IS the 'new relationship' wearing off. Your side's argument is 'opening packs is boring now. Make it fun again.'

Chasing Legendaries isn't exciting anymore?

Or are you claiming chasing Legendaries was never fun?

Or do you just want more pretty lights when you open a pack using Kismet?

Because, if all your doing is demanding MORE stuff in each pack, that seems a little greedy. You would be okay with Hex raising prices if they add even more stuff into each pack?

Schild's original argument was 'packs aren't worth buying'.

And then he asks for more stuff:
      'What about sketch cards? What about Alternate frames? What about AA Full-Arts that can only be gotten out of packs? There's lots of ways to go.'

He then finishes up the original post with:

'Just, uh, make packs great again.'

So, obviously, he thought opening packs used to be great, but now he wants more stuff in he packs because it somehow became 'not great'. Does he want them to go back to 15 cards because that's been the only change.
    • Darklight wrote:

Okay, so then it IS the 'new relationship' wearing off. Your side's argument is 'opening packs is boring now. Make it fun again.'

Opening packs was never really fun and it was always more boring than Magic. But it's not a "MAGA" joke without the word "again."

You wanna tell me America wasn't already great?

Do you, punk?

Edit: Also, the time to complain is not when the game is new, they had bigger fish to fry. We're going into set 7. It's time to complain about how shit packs are as they've hit their release stride (well, close enough).
    • - people play lottery for the big prize (aka the dream)...not for the average and not for ev

- by adding rarer cards (like foil versions in a ratio of 1:70) you create bigger potential prizes (with a foil bride suddenly the biggest prize is 5k instead of 2.5k (just to name a number))

- the business model is to sell packs

- in order to sell packs you have chase cards and you always have to come up with new chase cards

- thats why WotC has done what they have done over the past 2 decades (starting with foils and now inventions etc.)

- HXE will eventually also have to level up the ante so to say

- for whales adding more collectibles (like foil versions) is a great reason to open more packs

- the argument is that foil versions (and foils is just one suggestion) would results in more packs being opened

- the argument is furthermore that adding such cards would increase the excitement of cracking packs or at the very least would make cracking packs far longer exciting for your average collector since there will be much more things to collect

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• Offtopic again but speaking of those Invocations; I took a look and they seem to look really, really bad?

Is this really what they look like? I get they want to go Egyptian, but what's up with the blocky borders? It's like they had 3 or 4 different designs for the borders and couldn't decide on which one to use so they used parts of every one. It looks like Prince of Persia graphics from the mid 90's.

Maybe it's more appealing on paper.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

Offtopic again but speaking of those Invocations; I took a look and they seem to look really, really bad?

Is this really what they look like? I get they want to go Egyptian, but what's up with the blocky borders? It's like they had 3 or 4 different designs for the borders and couldn't decide on which one to use so they used parts of every one. It looks like Prince of Persia graphics from the mid 90's.

Maybe it's more appealing on paper.
      Yup thats what they look like. Everyone was thinking at one point that it was a joke. until they showed one for real on a video. Not really what I call nice.

I'll take hex's AAA Herofall 100x over this
    • I've just watched a few openings on YouTube and they seem to look a little better in real life. There's some appearance of depth to them. Still, very clunky design. Especially when compared to the design of the Inventions they did a while back, which actually look pretty cool, imo.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."