Marketing for Hex in Europe

• Marketing for Hex in Europe

Well, as a niche and multiplayer game Hex is really dependet on a good playerbase. So i always guessed that the company wanted to reach new players.

So I really wonder, why we barely see advertising in Europe. ?(
      I can speak especially for Germany where TCG are very popular and the people are rich (compared to many other countires) and willing to spend money on games like Hex.
      Even some PC-Magazines never made a Review about the game thats so sad.

My Info for Cory:
      You really miss a big opportunity (and a lot of money) here and you should change your marketing/advertising strategy for Europe/Germany.
      THis might really rise the playerbase, generate therefore more money and would improve the game overall for us.
      "Man findet immer dort besonders viel Chaos, wo man nach Ordnung sucht. Das Chaos besiegt die Ordnung, weil es besser organisiert ist." – Terry Pratchett
    • Arminace wrote:

Well, as a niche and multiplayer game Hex is really dependet on a good playerbase. So i always guessed that the company wanted to reach new players.

So I really wonder, why we barely see advertising in Europe. ?(
      I can speak especially for Germany where TCG are very popular and the people are rich (compared to many other countires) and willing to spend money on games like Hex.

My Info for Cory:
      You really miss a big opportunity (and a lot of money) here and you should change your marketing/advertising strategy for Europe/Germany.
      THis might really rise the playerbase, generate therefore more money and would improve the game overall for us.
      They don't do much advertising in the USA either. My guess is that they won't do a lot of advertising until we get the last 2 classes and can level up to 30 in the campaign. They might even wait until raids and guilds are available, though I fear that would be a very long wait.
    • Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening. ;)

There's advertising happening all the time. It's just in places where there is a high likelihood that the people it would reach will spend money. And a much different strategy than GF used in the past.

You know who actually spends money? People who are used to paying $1000+ for a deck. ;)
      Hex: Shards of Fate KS | Producer | Bounty of the Magus Highlands Magus

"Hoarded or shared, knowledge is the most fearsome weapon of all."
      "The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
      "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
      "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."
    • Colin wrote:

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening. ;)

There's advertising happening all the time. It's just in places where there is a high likelihood that the people it would reach will spend money. And a much different strategy than GF used in the past.

You know who actually spends money? People who are used to paying $1000+ for a deck. ;)
      Some kind of example or just blind faith? Personally idid not notice the difference in comparison with the second set the number of people is the same or less at large tournaments, not speaking about the usual drafts.
    • HXE should start thinking about representative/agent, that could spread a words about HEX in their regions ... This should increase 'reach' localy and globaly.

For example, I have a store with card and board games, its not a big store, but it have 20-30 consistant mtg players that play standard every week. I prepared some presentation with a friend and 18 people told me that they give a shot ... played hex for at least 2 hours ...

its not a big number, but 2 of them are still playing, from weeks.

15 from 18 people told me that hex is really great, when I asked, why they are dont playing then? "Playing against monitor isnt same as against friend, face to face" - that was most common respond.

Something like this on bigger scale could help ... What if 100 people could do same as me in bigger store, or some local/region basis ... this could bring more players that spend some cash to hex ... then twitch/youtube or reddit, social media brings many players, yes, but not so many that are willing to spend €€

thats my opinion ...

Best advertising is 'reccomendation" by someone you 'trust'
    • Arminace wrote:

Thats a massive understatement.

Better stated would be "essentialy no PC-Magazine has made a review".

I dont care about what else is going on in terms of marketing. When you cant get the press to cover your game you are doing something wrong.
      Thats the basics and it is just necessary.

I am very convinced that a single review by Gamestar would draw A LOT of new players to the game.
      I contacted them a couple of times and the first time I contacted them they werent even aware that the game officialy released. That makes me really wonder what HXE is doing. I am sorry to say...my conclusion is that they are doing something very wrong.
      Tbf...that was Gameforges duty I gues. A german publisher should try to make the single biggest german gaming site aware of its product.
      But now thats HXEs responsibility.

If you are german I would suggest you try to contact their chief editor. He actually answers and he was open to the possibilty of doing a review in the future.
      I am sure with more vocal demand he indeed would.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• @Metronomy : don't get me started on the underwhelming press coverage ! I'm logging daily on jeuxvideo.com, one of the biggest online game media here in France. You have articles, files, patch notes and previews for Hearthstone, Duelyst, Faeria, Magic, even freakin' Yu-Gi-Oh on smartphone now, but not a single news about Hex. Not even for the release of the game.

I know, "we're targeting our advertisement to whales", yada yada, but come on. Even sparking a glint of awareness in the general audience should be worth it. Currently almost nobody knows the game exists, and we're speaking of a kickstarted game that gathered millions !
    • Colin wrote:

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening. ;)

Hi and thank you for your answer.

I'm just curious....may you give a few examples of some advertising in Europe or Germany? Because im very active in the TCG (on- and offline) as well as in the gamingscene and I haven't noticed anything besides one bannerad on a webpage two years in the past. Seems like something isn't working well there.

And I can really only suggest your marketingoffice to contact some PC-Magazines here, most of them are still unaware regarding Hex.
      "Man findet immer dort besonders viel Chaos, wo man nach Ordnung sucht. Das Chaos besiegt die Ordnung, weil es besser organisiert ist." – Terry Pratchett
    • I've got a few people to try the game aswell. Of all the people I talked to only 2 knew that HEX existed because they saw the kickstarter campaign back in the days. The rest of them never heared that name before.

The thing is, there are many people out there looking for something more complex than hearthstone or some alternative to the game that shall not be named. Your customers are out there waiting for you. Just reach out and tell them you are here. Now that HEX and gameforge are going separate ways even that bad name and everything associated with it is out of the way.

Quite a few of us are already spreading the word but there is only so much an individual can do, especially without connections to gaming sites etc.

ps we desperately need more social features (guilds anyone?) in the game to keep new players connected.

pps @Metronomy Did you also message the guys from RocketBeans? They have quite the viewerbase aswell.
    • guess colin means that hex has banners in each of colins rooms of his house :)

but seriously - 0 good advertisements in the german area for month/years except from some bad gameforge trailers ;)
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

I am not sure Hex is ready for mass marketing. Pve isn't fleshed out and the casual experience could be vastly improved. If I was king I would focus a ton on the ui aspects and work on tablet support.
      I would rush co-op modes in ASAP and then market the shit out of this game. Somehow progress in Campaign with a friend/party = massive increase in playerbase. That's the part that has never been done in a TCG. This is my thinking.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

I am not sure Hex is ready for mass marketing. Pve isn't fleshed out and the casual experience could be vastly improved. If I was king I would focus a ton on the ui aspects and work on tablet support.
      Belive me ...it is ...

Maybe its not perfect... but HEx dosen't need to be perfect. Right now its the only TCG that has such a debth out here. THe problem is the people don't know that. Right now HEx has the power to set to be THE online tcg of the future. But hte chance to do that needs to be taken now and not somewhere in the future when possible competitioners have the chance to reach the area...
    • Ertzi wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

I would rush co-op modes in ASAP and then market the shit out of this game. Somehow progress in Campaign with a friend/party = massive increase in playerbase. That's the part that has never been done in a TCG. This is my thinking.
      Ha ...thats what I#m telling here since nearly 2 years. New game modes like coop, 2vs2, Highlander and 5each against each other are at least as important as new sets...meanwhile since we have already 6 sets I would say its even more important than new sets...
    • i know...but most people wait for the reviews before they decide to test or play a game..and that review never happened

I am not so much worried about the score hex would receive. I am sure it wouldnt be that terrible. The problem Hex has is not bad press coverage..the problem is a complete lack of any press coverage.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• Arminace wrote:

Ertzi wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Ha ...thats what I#m telling here since nearly 2 years. New game modes like coop, 2vs2, Highlander and 5each against each other are at least as important as new sets...meanwhile since we have already 6 sets I would say its even more important than new sets...
      I would recommend listening to the Cory interview. Coop is a long way off and they are trying to focus on the new player experience. Mass marketing now would be throwing money in the pisser.

The best discussion these forums can have now is how to better monitize pve. Again listen to Cory's comments on it. That is where the heavy lifting really needs to be done before mass marketing and it is a extremely difficult nut to crack.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pandaemonium ().