How do I beat Wiktor

• How do I beat Wiktor

I have spent more than 7 hours trying to beat Wiktor since last year. Last year, I got so sick of re-doing the dungeon that I just gave up, and stopped playing. I've come back to try to beat him. Now there are no lives, so I don't have to do the dungeon over and over (thank god) but now i'm just throwing myself at him over and over, and it's only a matter of time before I win by dumb luck. So far, sometimes I get close to winning, sometimes he destroys me. Sometimes it's even, then he destroys two of my dude at once, and things go down hill from there. Sometimes I just give up because my hands were bad. Other times, he gets to go first and attack with his spitfire elemental on his first turn, and by the end I don't have enough life to keep going.

I'm an elf mage. I usually use ruby & wild, but everything I tried with that didn't seem to work
      I then tried inspire an that didn't seem to help either
      Nearly all my low cost troops in my card collection have 1 health. Pretty tough to win with anything low cost.
      I tried a death & damage deck with blood and Ruby, but it's not helpful when your opponent is playing a ton of guys with a ton of health, and most of your cards only kill *one* dude at a time, while my opponent is doing the exact same thing to me (Sometimes, he's using a card that kills more than one of my guys)

At this point there's a few things I want to know.
      -Is Wiktor giving *everyone* this hard of a time, or should I find a different game that I don't suck at?
      -If all these strategies are failing, do I not have enough cards to work with? That's a thing right?
      -Is there more than one way to beat him, and if so, what are they?
      -And if not, what is *THE* winning strategy? I don't even want the accomplishment of winning on my own at this point, I just want him out of my way so I can experience the rest of the game knowing I already dealt with him.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Asulon ().

• Wiktor is definitely tough, especially for lower health classes like Mage. There are a few things I would recommend trying if you haven't already:
      • You'll want cheap removal that can deal with the Spitfire Elemental ASAP (e.g., Burn with equipment, Crackling Bolt, Contract Killing)
      • Swiftstrike is excellent against him, as most of his threats have very high attack:defense ratios. It's especially good for dealing with Rot Touch Ghouls and Sweltering Zombies (doubly so for the latter, as it prevents their crush damage for connecting).
      • Generally I would avoid too many X/1 troops, because of the Spitfire Elemental, but if you run enough ways to take it off the table early, then you can probably get away with running a few of them.
      There are also a couple of cards that absolutely hose Wiktor that you should look at picking up if you haven't already. Purging Flames (Rare drop from The Usurper dungeon) is great because he has multiple cards that mill, which lets you build up troops in the crypt quickly and it's void ability prevents some of his recursion shenanigans. I would also look to get some Detox Bots (Uncommon drop from AZ2 packs). They revert toxins in your hand and give you life, in addition to being quality early blockers.
    • Wild generally has the least tools to deal with Wiktor and the Elf racial spell isn't particularly helpful. Though the spell every Mage gets (Soothsaying) is pretty amazing against him since it lets you discard Toxins.

For the Wild portion of your deck, you'll want to focus on larger troops (such as Maw of the Hunt) and health gain (like Harvest Moon). Your Ruby should be focused on removal to kill his various nasty troops, such as Burn (with equipment), Crackling Bolt, and Purging Flames.

The other option is to continue on to AZ2 and unlock your first mercenary slot. There's several very cheap mercenaries such as Hawkor who could let you build a Diamond deck full of removal like Meek and Pride's Fall (with equipment).

There's also the option of leveling up your Mage. Eventually you can unlock Magic Barrier to block the Spitfire Elemental since 4 starting SP is easy to get. You'll also unlock better Sapphire access in your shard grid, which would let you play cards like Morphology or Buccaneer.
    • Asulon wrote:

-Is Wiktor giving *everyone* this hard of a time, or should I find a different game that I don't suck at?
      -If all these strategies are failing, do I not have enough cards to work with? That's a thing right?
      -Is there more than one way to beat him, and if so, what are they?
      -And if not, what is *THE* winning strategy? I don't even want the accomplishment of winning on my own at this point, I just want him out of my way so I can experience the rest of the game knowing I already dealt with him.
      Wiktor is the second hardest non-'challenge' encounter in the game. You are not wrong to be having problems with him. He is very difficult(and badly designed to be honest), and requires some thinking. Additionally, Wild is by far the hardest shard to deal with him in, since it lacks early removal.

You probably do have the cards you need, you just need to look at them the right way. I think @NicoSharp had a few good budget deck ideas for dealing with him back on the old forums, maybe he can help you here too. He's the guy who does the Fully Equipped articles, which are focused at newer/budget PvE players.

There are lots of ways to beat him, but most of them require a smidgen of luck. I would suggest creating a deck with Fireball and Crackling Bolt(burn with equipment works too if you have the equip) since they're cheap early removal that will deal with both the elemental and his massively expanding zombies. Aside from that, focus on getting some fairly early big bodies out. Wild is really good for this part. Use stuff to generate enough mp to get your spell out(focus your talents around this part) - elf mage spell is amazing - so you can get a massive blocker to slow him down, then you can establish your board.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Asulon wrote:

At this point there's a few things I want to know.
      He is.

Wiktor is an absolutely bullshit encounter. It isn't enough that the guy starts out with a pretty heavy 2/3 that deals 1 damage to all your troops at the start of his turn, and an additional 1 damage whenever it takes damage, meaning it cannot be defeated by anything less than a 3/2, and it will probably take down other stuff when it goes down, AND it blocks all 1 health troops until it dies, the guy also gets a ton of obscenely overpowered cards, such as Power of Ruby and Power of Blood, the Rot Touch Ghoul and the Sweltering Zombie. And he gets to turn your cards into poison cards. And then he makes them cost mana to play. And burn you every turn if you don't play it.

EDIT: AND he gets +3 starting hand size.

In short, in lieu of having an actual mechanism to play off against, like with Kazraga, the Inferno Goliath or Lukasz, this asshole just plain cheats. That's it.

He needs a rework. The fact the 'detox bot' was added to the game is an admission of failure, in my opinion. Worst possible solution.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Firellius ().

• Firellius wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Can we not turn this into another "Nerf Wiktor!" thread?

Pretending he doesn't have any special mechanics is certainly a new approach though.
      Be honest, in terms of mechanisms, he's about as special as the giant jellyfish.
      The encounter with the Leyline Manti has more special mechanic than Wiktor.
      More and Better are not synonyms.

I do love that fight against the Mantis though.
    • Asulon wrote:

I'd like to thank everyone who's been giving me advice here.
      If you'd like to post the decklist you're working with, I'm sure there are those among the community who would be happy to offer some additional insight into what you can do to make wiktor more feasible
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I'm happy to announce that I finally did it! Finally! Since you were all helpful, i'll tell you how it went. Don't worry, I haven't been losing over and over since the post. I just haven't got around to playing much. I did am extensive look at my cards, and and even more extensive look at gear, and purchased the gear I needed for this fight.

I decided that using wild isn't going to help me at all. There's no wild cards in my library that focus on removal at all, so the spitfire elemental would be a huge problem, and I didn't feel confident splashing ruby in because there's no promise I will get Burn, or a ruby shard in my opening hand. So I went with blood and ruby.

The ruby focused on damage like Burn, Crackling Bolt, Purging Flames (as suggested)

The Blood was focused on eggs, Kill, contract to kill (sorry if I got the name wrong), as well as cards that require sacrifices. Eventually, I filled Wiktor's deck with so many eggs, I ended up getting 3 or 4 spiders later in the game, I used them as sacrifices for low cost (but high ATK and HP power) troops.

When Wiktor had his spitfire Elemental, I used burn on it

When he played a high cost card that gave him 3 ravenous Zombies, I used Purging Flames.

He played two Blazing Ogres. The first one I used "Kill" on. The second, I did a trick with a troop of 5/1 with swiftstrike. When I attacked, I used my Mage's power to give my troop +3/+3 (the Blazing Ogre has something like 6/6 with crush)

I also used my other power to discard toxins, and draw a card. some of the toxins I was okay using, specifically the ones that give Wiktor 10 HP, but lets me draw 2. I was OK with this one because all I really cared about was having the field advantage. The ones I did not use (with the exception of one) were the ones that gave Wiktor 4 cards, while only giving me 2, and the one where I void 2 of my cards (It's this one), and finally the one that gives HIM a bunch of zombies.

I used gear this time (something I've kind of been only giving half effort on). This particular match was won in part because of my gear. One of my troops entered the field with 5/2 because of my gear (which gave my troops a chance to enter with +2), and later ended up with Swiftstrike (Wiktor gave it Swiftstrike because The card would deal 2 damage to him if he didn't use it. So he gave my troops Swiftstrike to avoid damage. I brought back one of his troops that puts this effect on cards in his hand)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Asulon ().

• Congrats and that sounds like a good mix. First time I met Victor was with a Wild Shin Deck. Took me way to many tries to finally even get to him (back when we had dungeon lives) and I was really unhappy with that battle.

Blood decks are great for taking him out.

Dreaded the encounter enough that after I figured out I don't have to go to Devonshire before I hit AZ2 that I tend to bypass until I've done everything else. I also had one mercenary deck that I use just for him. I try to beat him with my main and other mercs first but when its time Aethynia and a mono Diamond deck will end it.