Friday Update! 4.14.17

• Friday Update! 4.14.17

hello, welcome to another weekly update re-cap, we spent the morning hiding Easter eggs and then stuffing Jared into a sexy rabbit costume so I am just now getting around to writing this...
      I'm surprised a G-string Easter rabbit costume works, but there it is...

well, it was a mixed bag for the Platinum Plunder, did it happen? yes, was it bugged... sadly also yes, the players trudged through and my sincerest thanks for sticking with it, clearly it was a free tournament so that takes a little sting out of it, but I also understand your time is valuable and I am very sorry if you had a less then pleasant experience. on the plus side of the event, we tracked down the issue very quickly and rolled out a fix later that night so the Sunday Hex Clash could go on as scheduled... and it did! and as far as I know it was smooth.... buttery smooth, lets hope we have finally gotten this "buggy tournament" thing out of our system. I continue to be thrilled by our meta, some of the known decks in there at the Platinum Plunder, a very strong showing for blood, diamond, wild and ruby... but who takes it all??? SAPPHIRE!!! I play a bunch of constructed and I am always seeing new stuff and I love it... here is a control deck I have been messing around with (you get out the Counselor out, buff him then control the board with clash)

So another Hex Clash this weekend, I guess this is the test, will it go off without a hitch again? I sure hope so, and I have to say feels good having a money event every weekend!!

I jokingly responded to a thread about removing the logo from our sleeves, with COSMIC DUST (retail: 1000 platinum), clearly I was kidding... or was I? no no I was kidding... OR WAS I?!?! yes I was.
      I know some people don't like the logos, personally I love them (I do have a design background after all) , its one of the ways we make them themed instead of just art, that said once in awhile we do the art only sleeve and they feel extra special, that's the thing about collectibles you always have to balance availability if you want stuff to stand out. I do like the idea of COSMIC DUST in a way, and maybe someday we will do it... never say never, and to be fair it was YOUR idea, not mine... ;)

Set 7 is cruising along nicely, I believe we are currently at 95% complete on cards (in game) , we did a draft yesterday and it was a blast... I actually drafted a deck destruction build and got a win (take that McGinty!) but lost to Ryan and his [REDACTED] deck, its a very cool new mechanic! I think its going to be a good draft set, but we will keep plugging along testing to make absolutely sure. we have a bit of time left and I think we will be hitting the 4 months after Scars pretty much on the nose.

the Art is also coming in and I am LOVING IT, the thematic for sets 7-10 are some of my favorite so far, and the art team is KILLING IT!
      check this out

I mean, look at that shit! INCREDIBLE!!!!
      I do cannot wait for you dig into all the story stuff...

well that's it for this week, I hope you have a great holiday and if your drafting this weekend I'm sure I will be seeing you in game...

love, Cory

if you don't already you can follow me on twitter, @coryhudsonjones
    • Thoom wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

we did a draft yesterday and it was a blast... I actually drafted a deck destruction build and got a win (take that McGinty!)
      Ooh, bury decks viable again? Now I really can't wait for set 7. But I'm also conflicted, because I'm enjoying Scars limited so much and don't want it to go away.
      *brain explodes*
      That or we actualy get a mechanic that permanently deletes cards from a player's collection (destruction). Or maybe deletes the save file for the deck and you have to build and save it each time you want to play a match (deck destruction).

So many possibilities.
    • You will never convince me that the logo is there because anyone thinks it looks good.

The idea the the logo is there so that when you get a sleeve without it it looks that much better is ridiculous. If you want a sleeve to have more impact make the art more impactful. Don't diminish sleeves with the logo so that ones without it look better in comparison. If the environmental sleeves that everyone gets from the campaign didn't have the logo it wouldn't make the Jadiim sleeves any less desirable/impactful. As usual, all explanations for why the logo needs to be on the sleeves are disingenuous.

And I realize this is Cory's game so he has affection for the logo. It represents his baby and he might not see it how other do. But it's just in the way of the art. There are many other places in game to put the logo for promotional purposes, on all the sleeves doesn't need to be one of them.

Edit: and just to be clear, I'm not talking about event sleeves, for example the Feast of Abundance sleeves with a unique logo for the event. Those are fine. I'm talking about all the sleeves with just the Hex logo that covers up the art for no reason.

Sleeves are supposed to be a way to personalize your deck, not a way to promote the game. If I use a sleeve I want it to represent the deck I'm playing or myself as a player, having the logo there kind of ruins that feeling for me. It makes feel like I'm promoting the game. I love promoting the game on different forums and Twitch and supporting it whenever I can, but my sleeves should be personal.

The post was edited 2 times, last by GobBluth ().

• HEXCoryJones wrote:

I know some people don't like the logos, personally I love them (I do have a design background after all) , its one of the ways we make them themed instead of just art, that said once in awhile we do the art only sleeve and they feel extra special, that's the thing about collectibles you always have to balance availability if you want stuff to stand out. I do like the idea of COSMIC DUST in a way, and maybe someday we will do it... never say never, and to be fair it was YOUR idea, not mine...
      I don't think anyone would ever say that covering up amazing art is a good idea from a pure aesthetics perspective.

You cover things up when you have something you don't want seen, or if you want to advertise something to make sure people recognize where it's from.

For promotional artwork, it's absolutely logical, but for in-game stuff that we are all going to look at every day.... we don't need the logo. We want the artwork. Let your amazing artists' work show. Please. Let us show off how incredible the art your team makes is without people wondering if there's something you're trying to hide.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Making sleeves a microtransaction type deal seems like it would be crazy profitable. Keep all the holiday and special sleeve giveaways currently offered still in place obviously, but create a tool to make custom sleeves and charge $5-10bux.

For example, maybe I really like the Surging Wildfire art or have a wild/ruby constructed deck I would like to have some custom sleeves for. So you offer that art ( or any art available from standard cards in the set), a variety of boarders or no boarder, logo's/no logos or transparent logos...

With the release of every new set, people would be interested in creating and purchasing new sleeves. People like being snowflakes, being able to create a somewhat unique custom sleeve in a style they like would be great.
    • Katkilla wrote:

Making sleeves a microtransaction type deal seems like it would be crazy profitable. Keep all the holiday and special sleeve giveaways currently offered still in place obviously, but create a tool to make custom sleeves and charge $5-10bux.

For example, maybe I really like the Surging Wildfire art or have a wild/ruby constructed deck I would like to have some custom sleeves for. So you offer that art ( or any art available from standard cards in the set), a variety of boarders or no boarder, logo's/no logos or transparent logos...

With the release of every new set, people would be interested in creating and purchasing new sleeves. People like being snowflakes, being able to create a somewhat unique custom sleeve in a style they like would be great.
      This doesn't work in practice. Give someone too many choices and they just won't select any of them.
    • Eraia wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

I know some people don't like the logos, personally I love them (I do have a design background after all) , its one of the ways we make them themed instead of just art, that said once in awhile we do the art only sleeve and they feel extra special, that's the thing about collectibles you always have to balance availability if you want stuff to stand out. I do like the idea of COSMIC DUST in a way, and maybe someday we will do it... never say never, and to be fair it was YOUR idea, not mine...
      I don't think anyone would ever say that covering up amazing art is a good idea from a pure aesthetics perspective.
      You cover things up when you have something you don't want seen, or if you want to advertise something to make sure people recognize where it's from.

For promotional artwork, it's absolutely logical, but for in-game stuff that we are all going to look at every day.... we don't need the logo. We want the artwork. Let your amazing artists' work show. Please. Let us show off how incredible the art your team makes is without people wondering if there's something you're trying to hide.
      It's not a cover up, it's just a logo over the artwork and I think that the logo enhances the artwork.

You're taking your subjective ideas about how something must look and are trying to force it as normative.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Transience ().

• Let's not start throwing the "N" word around there. This isn't one of THOSE forums. :P

It's got nothing to do with ideas of normal. The art looks nice. Many of us (probably most) would like to see the art. It's painstakingly obvious that the logo is actually on the sleeves so that screenshots / videos of the gameplay will always include the game logo, but it's just a very inelegant solution. Why cover up really nice looking art with a big clunky logo? Stick it in the bottom corner of the gameboard or something if you absolutely have to have it on screen - or, you know, let your game stand on its own without feeling the need to plaster your name all over it at every moment. What are we, TRUMP? ;)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • So it was YOU !!! Be damned Cory ! Be damned !!!

You were the one obnoxious Josephina digilent counsellor guy dodging all my precious blood removal and getting my strangles and herofalls clogged up in my hand... Thanks for dread end and walts of the damned, or else i'd have been punched by that 12/13 flying lifedraining steadfast overlyzealous counsellor a week ago or so.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Ossuary wrote:

Let's not start throwing the "N" word around there. This isn't one of THOSE forums. :P

It's got nothing to do with ideas of normal. The art looks nice. Many of us (probably most) would like to see the art. It's painstakingly obvious that the logo is actually on the sleeves so that screenshots / videos of the gameplay will always include the game logo, but it's just a very inelegant solution. Why cover up really nice looking art with a big clunky logo? Stick it in the bottom corner of the gameboard or something if you absolutely have to have it on screen - or, you know, let your game stand on its own without feeling the need to plaster your name all over it at every moment. What are we, TRUMP? ;)
      Just take a look at album artwork for about every single rock and metal act in the entire world. Everyone has their logo in big bold lines over the artwork. Exceptions are certainly oddities. I have over a thousand of these records in my collection and probably less than 10 that do not have a logo over the artwork.

It really isn't that strange.

And honestly I think artwork can become better with a logo over it. It adds a certain consistency which I find attractive.

I mean I'm fine if HEX starts to offer removal for a price. But the tendency of this thread and others about the same subject is that somehow the poor artwork is sacrificed in favor of the despicable advertising and I just don't agree with that sentiment.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."