Crafting suggestions

• Crafting suggestions

I imagined crafting in several ways like:

Use 5 of ruby thresholds card to make
      Use different threshold cards diamond sapphire etc
      Use certain rarity cards
      Use cards with certain keyword diligence inspire etc
      Use cards with certain race or job specifics like beast human or mage cleric
      Use certain materials to create ...(kickstarter mentioned materials somewhere)
      Use equipment of ... rarity

Hope these suggestions add to the game
    • KingxOfxThexVoid wrote:

I imagined crafting in several ways like:

Use 5 of ruby thresholds card to make
      Use different threshold cards diamond sapphire etc
      Use certain rarity cards
      Use cards with certain keyword diligence inspire etc
      Use cards with certain race or job specifics like beast human or mage cleric
      Use certain materials to create ...(kickstarter mentioned materials somewhere)
      Use equipment of ... rarity

Hope these suggestions add to the game
      The way they described it the few times they talked about it made it sound more like we will break cards down into various materials and use those materials to craft items. In fact, some the higher kickstarter tiers even included 1 of each crafting mat (as you mentioned). I tend to like these sorts of systems a lot so I am looking forward to finding out how they decide to do this. It will also let us get rid of some of the most prolific commons/uncommons (and maybe even rares+) that we have. I also hope we can break down equipment for different mats as well (since many of us have so many extra copies).
    • Do hope some special craft come in though like needing 5 rare elementals or certain named cards for some pve cards
      especially since pvp cards currently have the duo cards like the human coyotle card and rotpaw gang some pve cards
      Or using some human inspire and human diligence to make a pve human diligence card that says diligence inspire a card
      Many things are possible so next to only using broken down cards using certain cards for recipies would definitly be cool
    • Unlike many others here i'm pretty sceptical towards crafting atm. Now i assist new players with cards i have more than 4 of. After crafting means breaking down cards for currency i dont know if i will ever be able to assist a new player by giving cards since i broke them all down.
      I'm sure i'm not the only one that will do that.
    • Frederik wrote:

Galliard wrote:

Any decently balanced crafting system will give almost nothing for commons, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
      If it does give something people will still break it down, getting 1 point is better than no points
      Just like you favor giving cards away over the small amount of gold you could get for selling them, there's a point where the rewards from breaking down the commons is small enough that people would still give them away.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you can't break down common cards at all.
    • I think crafting will be an amazing addition to Hex, and here are some of my suggestions for it:

-Maybe instead of having pvp cards as crafting fodder, pve cards could be the 'disenchant' fodder to get materials

-perhaps some boss fights could drop specific mats and/or recipes for crafting

-Perhaps doing certain objectives will give you some mats, say for example if there was a dragon fight which had a tail troop in play, kill the troop and win the fight to get a dragon tail crafting material

-make many recipes available to be discovered through boss drops/keep upgrades, or maybe dungeon loot, or even quest rewards

-maybe add a few vendors in town who sells mats or recipes for gold

-I would love to see craftable or droppable PVE socketable gems!!!!!

-maybe each character could have a crafting specialization that they specialize in, maybe for example specializing in alchemy would unlock new potion recipes, and perhaps even let you use each potion you make via alchemy mastery twice
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

I hope we get something beyond classical disassemble to mats, assemble from mats.
      Say, a boss fight, where upon a win we could exchange the winning deck for a reward. In other words, a valid recipe is any deck you can win with. Cheap ones are, of course, preferable.
      Yeah crafting that is integrated into the gameplay or that you are somehow actually participating in is obviously way more interesting. Guess it comes down to it though on whether crafting is meant to serve as a economical recycling center or a gameplay element... it could be both as well though.
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

I hope we get something beyond classical disassemble to mats, assemble from mats.
      Say, a boss fight, where upon a win we could exchange the winning deck for a reward. In other words, a valid recipe is any deck you can win with. Cheap ones are, of course, preferable.
      Ugh, that sounds awful.

That reward would have no AH value, plus it presents the risk of someone trading in their $300 deck for a single PvE card.
    • Galliard wrote:

GryphonGardens wrote:

Ugh, that sounds awful.
      That reward would have no AH value, plus it presents the risk of someone trading in their $300 deck for a single PvE card.
      AH value? If it is farmable, like everything in Campaign is, you cannot keep sky-high AH value.
      If you manage that it only means you somehow prevented players from crafting. Why to create a system for selected few.

The concern of not losing an expensive deck for a mediocre reward is a valid point, deck rules should limit what could be put in the deck.

I will also admit my suggestion has more weak points, like the need to put the deck together again for a new run. It was meant to show how interesting crafting could get.
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

Galliard wrote:

GryphonGardens wrote:

Ugh, that sounds awful.That reward would have no AH value, plus it presents the risk of someone trading in their $300 deck for a single PvE card.
      AH value? If it is farmable, like everything in Campaign is, you cannot keep sky-high AH value.If you manage that it only means you somehow prevented players from crafting. Why to create a system for selected few.

The concern of not losing an expensive deck for a mediocre reward is a valid point, deck rules should limit what could be put in the deck.

I will also admit my suggestion has more weak points, like the need to put the deck together again for a new run. It was meant to show how interesting crafting could get.
      There's plenty of farmable cards that have held at a decent price for extended periods. Juurdin is still pretty high for something with potentially infinite supply and Lady Devonshire is still holding strong over a year later.

Your example is a just a challenge node with an implicit Pauper-style deck restriction. I'm not opposed to that (or to an Ironman mode where the card drops you get are lost when your character "dies"), but it has nothing to do with crafting.

There's plenty of ways to make crafting exciting while keeping it recognizable:
      • Make some of the recipes secret, but have them follow solvable patterns. This presents interesting social situations, that we're otherwise lacking due to differences from a classic MMO
      • Have cards disassemble into mats based on what they do, rather than just rarity, set, or shard. So Morphology and Buccaneer might break down into a Spring material, while Inflict Doubt and Veteran Gladiator both break down into a Scary Mask.
      • Let the results be random, so you're trying to craft your own copy of that spectacular 6 damage [card]Blazing Hammer[/card] someone linked in chat.
      • Have interchangeable mats in the recipe that affect the outcome. Do you put those Rocket Shoes in the recipe to give your [card]Hand of the Black Crucible[/card] Speed, or do you use that Vampiric Dagger to give it Lifedrain?
      • Create cards that drop "incomplete" and have to be combined in a recipe to reach their full power. Think of it like permanently socketing a card.
    • I really like some of Galliard's ideas as well. It even opens up an entire crafting progression:

1. PvE Card A, and B can be acquired as drops with whatever rarity.
      2. PvE Card A + certain mats (from disenchanting or drops) = PvE Card C
      3. PvE Card B + other mats (from disenchanting or drops) = PvE Card D
      4. PvE Card C + PvE Card D + mats = PvE card E

In this progression, C and D are more playable than A and B, and also worth more on the AH. They're also used to create E, which is the strongest of the cards, but takes a lot of time/resource investments.

You could even do something where there's a step 5: PvE Card E + PvP Card F + mats = AAA version of card F. You're not creating any new PvP cards to affect that portion of the economy, but you're UPGRADING a PvP card (in a long an expensive way) to swag out your deck.

Quests work too. Maybe every dungeon completion, you have a chance at getting a dungeon shard (or you have to choose between a dungeon shard and the dungeon pack). Combine the different dungeon shards into a mat that is used for other things.

---

Ultimately, lots of fun things to think about.
    • I wouldn't be at all surprised if nobody here got the reference... but if we're talking about turning the crafting system practically into a game on its own(which I'm okay with and is one of the few ways I could actually see this whole crafting system working), might I suggest taking points from the Atelier games.

If you want an example of the best crafting system gaming has ever seen, check out what Atelier Shallie and Atelier Escha and Logy have done. Obviously the gathering components would need to be adjusted to cater what we have for a tcg... but the basic concepts that it's built on are this:

Each item has general categories(ex. an Apple might be fruit, plant, and living) and in stead of crafting using specific reagents, recipes mostly have categories.

So you might have a recipe for Pie which requires a 'Wheat' category item, a 'Fruit' category item, and a 'Sweet' category item.

Where it becomes interesting is each item has different properties that can appear on it, so your apple might have bonus healing, but a raspberry might have cure status ailment. So if you build your pie with apple, it heals more, but if you build it with raspberry it cures poison. And to make it even more interesting, you might have recipes to produce 3 different items that have the 'sweet' category, so you can use that to try to get different interesting attributes onto your wheat to use when making your pie. (obviously these are RPG examples, so it'd need to be tailored to fit a tcg... but hopefully you get the point).

If Hex isn't going to just make a throwaway basic crafting system, I kind of hope they really go all in on making it awesome... so I wanted to share this as an example of a WORKING crafting system that was far more intricate than a basic 'x items = y item'.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if nobody here got the reference... but if we're talking about turning the crafting system practically into a game on its own(which I'm okay with and is one of the few ways I could actually see this whole crafting system working), might I suggest taking points from the Atelier games.

If you want an example of the best crafting system gaming has ever seen, check out what Atelier Shallie and Atelier Escha and Logy have done. Obviously the gathering components would need to be adjusted to cater what we have for a tcg... but the basic concepts that it's built on are this:

Each item has general categories(ex. an Apple might be fruit, plant, and living) and in stead of crafting using specific reagents, recipes mostly have categories.

So you might have a recipe for Pie which requires a 'Wheat' category item, a 'Fruit' category item, and a 'Sweet' category item.

Where it becomes interesting is each item has different properties that can appear on it, so your apple might have bonus healing, but a raspberry might have cure status ailment. So if you build your pie with apple, it heals more, but if you build it with raspberry it cures poison. And to make it even more interesting, you might have recipes to produce 3 different items that have the 'sweet' category, so you can use that to try to get different interesting attributes onto your wheat to use when making your pie. (obviously these are RPG examples, so it'd need to be tailored to fit a tcg... but hopefully you get the point).

If Hex isn't going to just make a throwaway basic crafting system, I kind of hope they really go all in on making it awesome... so I wanted to share this as an example of a WORKING crafting system that was far more intricate than a basic 'x items = y item'.
      That reminds me a lot of the crafting from Star Wars Galaxy. Different sources of materials would have different stats that affected the outcome of the recipe. So you might use a particular low quality source of iron for cheap bullets, but use the higher quality source you found for a really nice rifle.

It sounds like a lot of fun, since it's essentially a permanent socketing system. You could build your own card in the same way you could build a troop that had four sockets.

TripleZed wrote:

I really like some of Galliard's ideas as well. It even opens up an entire crafting progression:

1. PvE Card A, and B can be acquired as drops with whatever rarity.
      2. PvE Card A + certain mats (from disenchanting or drops) = PvE Card C
      3. PvE Card B + other mats (from disenchanting or drops) = PvE Card D
      4. PvE Card C + PvE Card D + mats = PvE card E

In this progression, C and D are more playable than A and B, and also worth more on the AH. They're also used to create E, which is the strongest of the cards, but takes a lot of time/resource investments.

You could even do something where there's a step 5: PvE Card E + PvP Card F + mats = AAA version of card F. You're not creating any new PvP cards to affect that portion of the economy, but you're UPGRADING a PvP card (in a long an expensive way) to swag out your deck.

Quests work too. Maybe every dungeon completion, you have a chance at getting a dungeon shard (or you have to choose between a dungeon shard and the dungeon pack). Combine the different dungeon shards into a mat that is used for other things.

---

Ultimately, lots of fun things to think about.
      I wasn't going quite that far with my ideas, but I do like where you're heading. We have an example of that already with the robot you get in Great Machine Graveyard, where you slowly add things to a card.

Thinking about it more, I now want the ability to build my own Construct mercenary! There would be recipes for different charge powers and different passives. And the shard grid would be customizable!
    • A lot of these ideas tie into my hopes for the Stronghold system. I'm hoping it's not just "Spend X gold" -> "Get all the bonuses".

I want to see trade-offs, like in an RTS or 4x game. You can build that Star Catcher building to generate three random stardust each day, but then you don't have the space/workers/power/attention to also build the Adventurer's Guild that gives you a random AZ pack each day.

What would really be cool is if your campaign characters could be assigned to buildings to provide certain rewards, though now I'm really starting to go off topic...
    • Galliard wrote:

It sounds like a lot of fun
      Ya, it really is(which is why it's a shame so few have played the games), which is why I hope that they take inspiration here.

I have fond memories of spending hours putting together the perfect item. When a system can make crafting fun, diverse, and creative... it's a magical thing. If Hex can pull the same off with their crafting, I'd be amazed... but hey, here's hoping.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.