Mercenaries Augustine and Katsuhiro Party Passives Bugged

• Mercenaries Augustine and Katsuhiro Party Passives Bugged

Both Augustine and Katsuhiro have party passives regarding you or your opponent winning the coin flip. But, in fact it's based on whether you go first or second. For example, Katsuhiro's passive will still trigger even if you win the coin flip but decide to go second, which is not what his passive states.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Both Augustine and Katsuhiro have party passives regarding you or your opponent winning the coin flip. But, in fact it's based on whether you go first or second. For example, Katsuhiro's passive will still trigger even if you win the coin flip but decide to go second, which is not what his passive states.
      It's partially semantics, but I consider the behavior correct and the wording to be wrong.

Mother Dawnbreeze and the Warrior talent "Weight" both also have opposite wording. Dawnbreeze talks about flips but cares who actually goes first, while Weight talks about choosing to go first but actually modifies the coin flip.
    • I don't see why it should behave how it does instead of how it's worded. It makes Augustine's passive significantly worse than Katsuhiro's. In my eyes, I see them designed as two of the same powers, just on opposite ends, which is why having them based on the flip rather than the draw makes sense.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

I don't see why it should behave how it does instead of how it's worded. It makes Augustine's passive significantly worse than Katsuhiro's. In my eyes, I see them designed as two of the same powers, just on opposite ends, which is why having them based on the flip rather than the draw makes sense.
      Even with this change, Augustine is still significantly worse than Katsuhiro. Katsuhiro is elegant in the sense that he gives you the charge you would have had if you go first. Augustine is just doubling-down on the best case, which is only useful if you're brute-forcing a fight.

I think that it took four months for someone to care enough to create a bug report shows that people prefer it this way. Personally I like that one of the best party passives is on a completely free merc.

Side note: Rakshani the Spiteblade uses the coin flip wording as well
    • Your logic is flawed. There's many good decks that actually prefer to go second, so going first is not the best case. Hell, an entire class (ranger) wants to go second.

Either way, it's bugged. Either the text is incorrect or the effect is. The devs can decide which should be fixed.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Right, because you're only allowed to have one mercenary in your party.
      Except by the time you're playing Katsuhiro and Clatterclank, there is only one party slot yet.

Since Clatterclank is easy enough to trigger and Katsuhiro triggers in more important cases, you basically never want to use Augustine before either of them. Your proposed change alters the relative strength of Augustine and Katsuhiro, but since you play them together there's no net buff.
    • You started a subjective argument about how you preferred the wording to behavior, so I followed your lead.

There are plenty of examples of correct behavior with vague or even incorrect wording. Shift, for example, is implemented behind the scenes differently than the simplified wording present on cards.

For all we know the hypothetical official rulebook says that choosing to go second is equivalent to conceding the coin flip. Without certainty or access to the card parsing system, I see no reason to avoid arguing over "oughts".

You even admitted above that either could change, so why is there even a problem here?