Evolution Draft

• Evolution Draft

The reason for this thread / idea is to get people thinking about ways to bring draft to more casual players.
      This is an early iteration of the idea, and is subject to your own interpretations or changes:

Format setup:
      • Entry Fee is 100 plat
      • A player enters a draft alone (like HS Arena), and picks cards, 1 at a time from rareless computer passed packs.
      • Their first pick would be between 16 cards: 4 uncommon / 12 common
      • Their second pick would be between 15 cards: 3 uncommon / 12 common
      • Their third pick would be between 14 cards: 2 uncommon / 12 common
      • So on - until all uncommons are gone, and all commons are gone.
      • The computer would automatically pull the highest win% card from the pack. (or random card of highest rarity, and may show signs of removing certain thresholds randomly over others)
      • After the pack is gone, the player repeats this process for 2 more rareless packs.
      • At the end, the player builds a 40 minimum card deck, using the 48 cards they drafted.
        • At this point, there can be some conversation around entry fee - either these cards are phantom cards, or these cards are kept. If kept, a pack of the most current set, should be added to the entry fee for this mode.

Game format and prize setup:
      • Similar to draft now - This would be setup as 3 BO3 games, swiss, with prizes as follows:
        • 1st win = random rare of current set between 3 rare choices - you choose and can add to your deck.
        • 2nd win = random rare of current set between 3 rare choices - you choose and can add to your deck.
        • 3rd win = An unopened pack

This would mean - players can join at anytime, and play at anytime. Out of every 8 players that finish a play cycle - we should end with:

800 plat entry fees paid
      2 players = get nothing
      2 players = get 1 rare
      3 players = get 2 rares
      1 player = get 1 unopened pack.

This would be 800 plat entry paid for 1 unopened pack + 8 rares.
      If you go the pack route for entry fee + 100 plat: it would be 800 plat + 8 packs = 96 uncommons, 288 commons, 8 rares, and 1 unopened pack payout.
      It would give casual players a draft limited experience for only 100plat or 100plat + a pack.

This would seem like a nice gateway drug? Thoughts? (I know I am the anti-additional-bucket guy, but feel the draft experience not being easily available to more casual players is a huge down-side right now to HEX's limited experience growing in popularity)

The post was edited 2 times, last by NicoSharp ().

• I think it would be too degenerate.

Without intelligent people passing you packs with logical draft picks removed from them, there's nothing stopping you from forcing the best archetype. The lack of rares to guide you towards an alternative reinforces it even more. At that point you're basically playing Pauper Constructed.

At a minimum, I think you'd have to use packs that other players have previously passed. Making them provide packs and then auto-drafting the rare/legendary is probably even better.
    • That is a fair compromise.
      This is more about the offering as a whole, than how it plays out electronically. I think a lot of people have made great comparisons to how passing packs in Eternal works, and other games, where it can have some element of realism based on what other players have/had prioritized.

You can distill the idea as much as you like, this is just around a conversation of whether or not something like this is needed, and would work, and how would people suggest it is refined if so.
    • Well, I just saw Dino's patch update, and Draft Asynch is now swiss as well (an 0-2 player can still play a 3rd BO3 game). It's hard to argue the format is not pretty new player friendly now to try, however the only barrier now is entry fee. I guess this can be deleted?
    • NicoSharp wrote:

That is a fair compromise.
      This is more about the offering as a whole, than how it plays out electronically. I think a lot of people have made great comparisons to how passing packs in Eternal works, and other games, where it can have some element of realism based on what other players have/had prioritized.

You can distill the idea as much as you like, this is just around a conversation of whether or not something like this is needed, and would work, and how would people suggest it is refined if so.
      I think setting it up to reuse packs wouldn't really be that hard. You'd only have to pre-seed it with a few dozen packs drafted by Hex employees for each set and then every future player would generate as many packs as they use up.

Or, if you want to get really interesting, you can clone packs from actual Competitive drafts. That would preserve the meta while staying async.

Did you add the part about selecting from 3 rares in the Edit? I'm not a fan of that since it's going to upset the ratios between rares and therefore the economy. Taken to the extreme, there would be three times as many Rune Ear Hierophant as there are now and maybe seven All in the Family in existence.
    • That wasn't an addition, but it could be just 1 random rare. At which point the idea of this being called "Evolution" has no point.

Again, the idea was more around having a low entry price point for players that want to experience draft limited, but do not have the funds to support paying "700p" (equivalent) for the experience.
    • I don't know how other games like Eternal and Solforge programmed their draft but they both have a draft with no time limit and players doing all the drafting and passing and so. Solforge has an especially low player count so if "player passing" is doable there, it is doable in Hex. I would prefer that over AI passers.