Katsuhiro - the guy in everyone's party

• Katsuhiro - the guy in everyone's party

I posted this in the Campaign Guide thread, but figured I make a separate thread for suggestions and ideas.

Katsuhiro is in all of my parties in the Campaign, except Slamvolt. So working out a strong, fast deck for him provides a consistent advantage for farming. Sometimes your otherwise fast deck can't handle a certain fight, so then you break out your merc! This is my current deck that reliably wins either 3rd or 4th turn. It'll rarely go to 5 if an opponent has a massive health total or gets particularly disruptive.

GEISTBLADE (hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=212682)

Cards (60)
      Troops (35)
      3x Graven Geist
      3x Deathseaker
      2x Hop'hiro, Samurai
      2x Minion of Yazukan
      3x Sneakblade of the Milky Eye
      3x Sepulchra Maggot
      4x Fertile Engorger
      3x Cryptcurse Knight
      4x Underworld Recruiter
      4x Wicked Webspawn
      4x Dread Apprentice

Actions (3)
      3x Contract Killing

Resources (22)
      18x Blood Shard
      4x Monsagi Lily Pad

Equipment (5)
      Head: Samurai Kabuto (Hop'hiro gives all Shin'hare +1/+1 when he damages an opponent)
      Trinket: Recruiter's Ring (Underworld Recruiter gets +1/+1 when an Underworld troops enters play)
      Chest: Sneaky Garment (Sneakblade summons a Battle Hopper when he deals combat damage to an opponent)
      Hands: Kit Catchers (Fertile Engorger makes Killblades)
      Weapon: Sepulchra Stone Sledge (Sepulchra Maggots have Lethal)

Mercenaries (0)
      The deck is intended to be tuned without mercenaries, since its entire purpose is to be one of those mercenaries another deck relies on. But if you have a free slot, B.E.B.O is particularly effective thanks to the Worker Bot helping you towards the 3 troops.

Strategy
      Your main goal is to get to three or more troops, buff them with your charge power, then swing for 30+ damage. The best first turn drops either generate additional troops (Fertile Engorger and Sneakblade) or buff up your other troops (Hop'hiro and Graven Geist). All of your best hands have an Underworld Recruiter, since it lets you dump your hand and get that much more damage on the table. Remember that your charge power affects troops in your hand, but can't affect troops that don't exist yet - so do your scrounging for Dreadlings first.

For equipment, the Sepulchra Stone Sledge could be replaced by Certificate of Receipt. This allows second turn kills if you get out a first turn Underworld Recruiter. But, in general, having another source of Lethal is what makes this deck different from the alternatives. It lets you fight off massive troops a different fast deck might otherwise have trouble with.

Never chump block if it would drop you below three troops. Your starting life total is decent and you have a health gain passive - you can take a few hits.

Dungeon Specific Notes
      Brutecrown
      The only real problem you could have her is against the boss, since you can't kill him in a single turn. The Cryptcurse Knights and Sneakblades are particularly important here since they let you build a real board presence. Underworld Recruiters can help too, but he has enough removal that relying on them is risky. Vargar provides the best Constant for this deck, but Zagg is still way more reliable at beating Nogg Nogg.

Portsmeare
      Please don't use this deck against Mayor Galway. Your day will be ruined when the Hag uses her charge power and ruins your troops for the rest of the dungeon. Do use the deck against the Siren, since those three free Townsfolk mean you can win pretty much regardless of how awful your draw is. Remember that a 1/1 Lethal blocking a tentacle is a net of +1 card back into your deck from the void. Though you usually win before they can ever attack you.

Ruins
      The health totals in these fights are low enough that you won't usually run into a problem. I'd fight the Nibblins instead of the Crocodiles they won't have time to get big. The final boss is particularly funny because having a 30 defense troop that absorbs damage to you isn't particularly helpful when he's blocked by something with Lethal.

GMG
      This dungeon is easier than you might think, since your robot starts you off that much closer to three troops. The boss will occasionally have a hand you can't beat (i.e. swinging for 20 before your second turn), but his health total is low enough to rarely be an issue.
    • Nice list. I have some similar things going on with a pre-set 6 deck, but love the updates with set 6 as Blackwood mentioned.

One side note about Mayor Galway. The trick here with suboptimal (not saying this is but to avoid permanent troop debuffs) decks is to wait to clear phase 1 when he is at exactly 0 charges. This will usually allow you to swing for lethal the following turn without suffering a clap-back from charge power. While this may slow down the particular encounter by a few turns, it's worth it for further progress, and can be done with any deck.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Nice list. I have some similar things going on with a pre-set 6 deck, but love the updates with set 6 as Blackwood mentioned.

One side note about Mayor Galway. The trick here with suboptimal (not saying this is but to avoid permanent troop debuffs) decks is to wait to clear phase 1 when he is at exactly 0 charges. This will usually allow you to swing for lethal the following turn without suffering a clap-back from charge power. While this may slow down the particular encounter by a few turns, it's worth it for further progress, and can be done with any deck.
      Yep, I do that all the time. The other option is to swing in with an evasive swiftstrike troop and deal 'first phase' lethal + second phase lethal in the same swing.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something, but why is Katsuhiro so valuable as a backup merc that he's 'that guy in everyone's party'?
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • NicoSharp wrote:

Nice list. I have some similar things going on with a pre-set 6 deck, but love the updates with set 6 as Blackwood mentioned.

Yep, that's what I do too. I just usually find it faster to use a throwaway merc to kill him fast. Especially since he tends to get stuck at 4 resources and therefore 1-2 charges. In any other dungeon this deck could be that throwaway deck, but you want to use this against the Siren.

Eraia wrote:

Maybe I'm just not seeing something, but why is Katsuhiro so valuable as a backup merc that he's 'that guy in everyone's party'?
      It's the party passive. An extra charge really speeds up most non-Cleric campaign decks. Only getting it when you go second is fine since that's when you really need it.
    • Galliard wrote:

It's the party passive. An extra charge really speeds up most non-Cleric campaign decks. Only getting it when you go second is fine since that's when you really need it.
      Ahh... I see. So it's basically to reduce the penalty of going second. Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Just a small clarification: his party passive is if you lose the coin flip, not if you go second. So, you can win the coin flip and choose to go second, but his passive with not trigger.
      You're right about the wording. But TheGreatCulling is correct about how it works.

I can't think of any abilities based around going first or second actually work the way they're phrased. For example. the Warrior talent that says "You can't choose to go first" actually makes you lose the coin flip 100% of the time.