Cory, Thank You

• Cory, Thank You

Cory,

I appreciate, immediately after dumping a whole bunch of stuff on us, that you came out and spoke after a bit over a year of being fairly squelched. I assume all of this stuff, including the divorce, was all at play in how things have been handled since HXE paired up with GF. You spoke frankly and transparently and I'd like to see that happen more often. There are lots of folks in various industries that do weekly/bi-weekly Q&As, I think this is something worth looking into, even if the questions are rigged/cherrypicked.

Now, I'm not gonna make a thread like this with no ulterior motive, as such I'll just come out with it. Your answer for EDH and other game modes was woeful. You hinged it on not wanting more queues. I don't *think* anyone said there needs to be a queue. I know I don't care if there is one. I just want deckbuilding rules (see my old, hilariously long post about EDH in Hex) to exist and be able to challenge friends or whoever with it. A queue is totally unnecessary. Now, while a queue may be in its future, this is a "if you build it, they will come" sort of format. It can stay casual forever, I don't care.

But for the love of all that is holy, I know this is low-hanging fruit due to an email exchange. Can we just have it implemented so I can stop making posts about it and enjoy the casualness of it all?

- schild

P.S.

The Actual Forum wrote:

Please copy over important posts to our new forum.
      This is important. It has been copied over.

P.P.S. To Wit: ELDER DRAGON HEXLANDER - for posterity
    • I agree that not everything has to be ranked queues. Despite that, I also understand that even casual formats will eat away at the ranked ones' playerbase, if people like them more. Having said that, I am all up for allowing a plethora of informal game modes and never support them afterwards. just a barebone structure is enough for a casual mode. I hope that the playerbase soon reaches crucial mass to allow HXE to not worry about trickling effects.
    • If CASUAL_FORMAT_X* is more popular than ranked Standard Constructed, then clearly the wrong format is the one that is being ranked. Before the current Immortal plans were finalized, I had suggested alternating ladders and that can still be an option here. For the first two month season after a set drops, have the Constructed ladder be Standard; for the next two months, have it be CASUAL_FORMAT_X. You avoid splitting the playerbase, avoid having a stale meta, and incentivize a variety of playstyles. Hell, the same thing could be done with Limited: first season, only Evo counts for ranking; second season, only Draft, etc.

*EDH, Pauper, Rock, whatever (listed in order of preference).
    • Also, the reason I started playing Hex is that Magic: Duels removed chat (voice and text!) from 2HG and the ability to set up 2HG games without the matchmaker.

Prior to that, I had played the Duels/DotP series for hundreds of hours, buying many installments/DLCs.

Somewhere on their forums is my lengthy farewell letter, which says the only dollar for digital they'd get from me is whatever they might win in Hex litigation...

The post was edited 1 time, last by GeneralVeers ().

• Personally I don't find this format fun at all but I totally support it as it adds value to cards that often see no love and could be a good way to convert some PvE/F2P players. There are a lot of gamers that do not find competitive play fun, if you are one of those players in Hex there is very little to do. Ladder will not be appealing as it is mostly people trying hard to win and proving grounds is dead or people usually testing competitive decks.
    • Entrath wrote:

2HG and EDH are hugely important to me, too. And I hope we see it sooner rather than later, and it doesn't need any queue or support. It's just the most fun way to play with friends IMO
      Agreed. I have friends currently sitting on the sidelines for HEX despite having had accounts for well over a year now but they just want to play together which currently isn't possible except in a 1v1 scenario.
      HEX Support | HEX CoC | HEX T&C

Twitch | Steam | HEX Furs Telegram | Sterling Starwatcher
    • I was a little disappointed to, but Cory's post has given me hope for the future :) Team Clockwork did an EDH tournament back in set 3, it was incredibly fun a lot of the members streamed it and one person lived the Triumvirate turn 4 the hard way dream. Hex having more stories like that would really appeal to a certain casual audience that doesn't shy away from buying cards. I really like that Hex recognizes Singleton as a deck building property atm, was a step in the right direction for people like me who might accidentally put a normal and aa version of a card in my deck and not notice for a week, as it never came up.

While it's on the discussion table, I'd like to throw this out there. Let us use pve cards in EDH maybe? (or any I challenge my buddy to a game situation) EDH communities are great at coming up with their own banlists, and it's a bit of a shame we have all of these cards and can't use them to kill each other. Even if they decide as a community hey um PvE cards are too good/silly for EDH and ban them all, I'd still like the option ya know?
    • Kami wrote:

Entrath wrote:

2HG and EDH are hugely important to me, too. And I hope we see it sooner rather than later, and it doesn't need any queue or support. It's just the most fun way to play with friends IMO
      Agreed. I have friends currently sitting on the sidelines for HEX despite having had accounts for well over a year now but they just want to play together which currently isn't possible except in a 1v1 scenario.
      Yup - please put something which is team-based multiplayer #1 on the dev list. Raids, 2v2, 2HG/EDH, whatever. I hate to whine *especially on a thank you Cory thread* but some of us have been waiting for that since May of 2013.
    • Part of me feels like we shouldn't rely only on existing formats either like 2/3HG, EDH, Assassin, Emperor, etc.

While those formats would still be extremely fun, imo, I get this feeling there should also be some format(s) unique to HEX in this style on top of those.

Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where the more formats that exist doesn't mean the more it gets played. But the players that do play them will greatly enjoy it.

I don't know what the optimal solution would be given that HXE is still playing catch-up, development-wise, in other areas. Ideally, we get the whole 'kitchen-table' model where players can create sessions with rule sets that players join into. The faster solution, assuming something exists for mutiplayer UI and such, is preset rules such as the ones listed above.

In the meanwhile, I agree with some of the sentiment (and have spoken out about this in the past), there needs to be a gap-filler between competitive PvP and AI-only PvE. Competitive PvP gets vastly more promotion and variety (including HXE-supported community events); PvE events have mostly just been reskins with no exclusive content such as a dungeon or even a node - understandable from a developmental resource perspective.

There is very little for not-at-stake-type play beyond AI-only. I mean, other than Unranked Constructed that very infrequently fires or private play. Otherwise, you're always sacrificing winnings or rank to play for fun instead of at your best.

My main concern regarding this, as it always has been, has been the priority of development for this. Obviously there are things that take priority such as PvP sets and PvE development, UI development, and more that affect players substantially more. It's one of those situations where this gap needs to be filled but from a developmental perspective, it's low priority, despite increasing urgency from the community.
      HEX Support | HEX CoC | HEX T&C

Twitch | Steam | HEX Furs Telegram | Sterling Starwatcher
    • Kami wrote:

Part of me feels like we shouldn't rely only on existing formats either like 2/3HG, EDH, Assassin, Emperor, etc.

While those formats would still be extremely fun, imo, I get this feeling there should also be some format(s) unique to HEX in this style on top of those.

Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where the more formats that exist doesn't mean the more it gets played. But the players that do play them will greatly enjoy it.

I don't know what the optimal solution would be given that HXE is still playing catch-up, development-wise, in other areas. Ideally, we get the whole 'kitchen-table' model where players can create sessions with rule sets that players join into. The faster solution, assuming something exists for mutiplayer UI and such, is preset rules such as the ones listed above.

In the meanwhile, I agree with some of the sentiment (and have spoken out about this in the past), there needs to be a gap-filler between competitive PvP and AI-only PvE. Competitive PvP gets vastly more promotion and variety (including HXE-supported community events); PvE events have mostly just been reskins with no exclusive content such as a dungeon or even a node - understandable from a developmental resource perspective.

There is very little for not-at-stake-type play beyond AI-only. I mean, other than Unranked Constructed that very infrequently fires or private play. Otherwise, you're always sacrificing winnings or rank to play for fun instead of at your best.

My main concern regarding this, as it always has been, has been the priority of development for this. Obviously there are things that take priority such as PvP sets and PvE development, UI development, and more that affect players substantially more. It's one of those situations where this gap needs to be filled but from a developmental perspective, it's low priority, despite increasing urgency from the community.
      I'd love it if the officially supported Hex EDH format was 150 card singleton, but while that includes Jank Bot, it also sort of becomes an auto-include, so perhaps 100+? That way if someone wanted to run him they could, and if it's balanced for 4/150, 1/150 would be significantly less impactful. Heck 1/100 will be fair IMO. It's the sort of card people love to play in EDH and as the format sits he'd be excluded. Sad day for Artificers everywhere haha