Winner is the Judge - March 27th to April 1st

• Winner is the Judge - March 27th to April 1st

The Rules:
      Design a card (or in this case multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. (Just to let you know, I generally prefer novel ideas, especially those that are executed simply. You can get an idea of what I like from my designs in previous rounds.)

The winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Deadline for submissions will be March 26, 12:00 pm PST. I'll then announce the winner that afternoon and deliver all prizes then.

Design Constraint:
      Design an equipment for a legendary card that currently has none. Be creative and make something that adds new depth to the card or that is interesting enough to get someone to want to play that card again.

Additionally, please include what equipment slot you'd like your design to fit into.

Prizes:
      The top 3 winners will get their choice of the following cards:

Syyn, Etherdrake Nomad
      Indigo Dreamweaver
      Augur of Sirion
      Zombie Plague

Whatever card remains after the top three winners pick will be given out as a door prizes to the most interesting non-winner.

Deadline:
      The contest ends on April 1st at 12pm EST. If your in-game name doesn't match your forum name, please message me if you win.

Special thanks to Arcanyx for typing out a clean set of rules that I shamelessly copied and pasted above.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Griffinheart ().

• Zombie Plague
      Searing Viral Syringe
      Weapon
      Your Zombie Plagues also have " [RUBY] At the start of your turn, two random non-troop cards in your opponent's deck or hand get 'When you play this, three random troops in your deck get -1/-1. If those troops have 0 or less defense, revert them and transform them into Burning Zombies and put them into play under your opponent's control"

I think the ruby/blood zombie archetype could use some support, and I think Zombie Plague is a great fuel for that. I like the idea of creating an element of the opponent having to decide whether they want to screw themselves over with the plagued non-troop cards.

And in the end... who doesn't like more zombies?\

(pretty sure plague doesn't have equipment.... if I'm wrong, I'll blame it on lack fo sleep)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eraia: Edited to add equipment slot and slightly modify name. ().

• Bastardspawn of Bokrug

Chaos Orb: (trinket)
      Your Bastardspawn of Bokrug also have: "When this deal damage to a opposing champion, put one troop at random from their crypt into your hand. It lose all threshold requirement. It become Chaostouched"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Deadjack ().

• Eraia wrote:

(pretty sure plague doesn't have equipment.... if I'm wrong, I'll blame it on lack fo sleep)
      I think some was hinted at before equipment to got implemented, but none currently exists for the card to my knowledge.

I'll edit my post to add this requirement, but what equipment slot would you like your equipment to fit in?

For that matter, have the developers ever said if there is a design philosophy on why certain equipments end up in certain slots? I know that some "sets" of equipment are assigned so as to all be equipable at the same time, but I don't know own if certain abilities are found most often on weapons or boots.
    • Army of Myth

Slot: Trinket
      Name: Reality Marble

Rules: Your Armies of Myth instead have:
      This ignores deckbuilding restrictions, and you may have only 1 copy in your deck.
      Before drawing your starting hand, play this for free.
      Choose X. Create an Ionioi Hetairoi with X mana counters and put it into play under your control.
      Gold and EXP rewards for completing this encounter are multiplied by X+1.
      Void this.

Ionioi Hetairoi
      Type: Constant
      Rules: Spectral
      At the start of each of your opponents' turns, that player plays a random Noble Phantasm for each mana counter on this.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Play up to (the number of mana counters on this) random shards from your deck.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Gain control of up to (the number of mana counters on this) target troops.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Return up to (the number of mana counters on this) target cards from your crypt to your hand.

Noble Phantasm - Command
      Basic Action
      Create a random unique troop for which you meet the threshold requirements and put it into play. Void this.

Noble Phantasm - Mana Circuit
      Basic Action
      Create a random basic shard and play it. Void this.

Noble Phantasm - Regeneration
      Basic Action
      Draw a card, then gain life equal to its cost and shuffle up to that many cards at random from your crypt into your deck. Void this.

The post was edited 13 times, last by GeneralVeers: Added noble phantasms to make Ionioi Hetairoi less wordy. ().

• Griffinheart wrote:

Eraia wrote:

I think some was hinted at before equipment to got implemented, but none currently exists for the card to my knowledge.
      I'll edit my post to add this requirement, but what equipment slot would you like your equipment to fit in?

For that matter, have the developers ever said if there is a design philosophy on why certain equipments end up in certain slots? I know that some "sets" of equipment are assigned so as to all be equipable at the same time, but I don't know own if certain abilities are found most often on weapons or boots.
      I'm sure there is, but they've never disclosed it to my knowledge.

Good question. I'll edit that into my OP, and possibly adjust my name to match it after I've had a second to think about it. :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• GeneralVeers wrote:

Army of Myth

This ignores deckbuilding restrictions, and you may have only 1 copy in your deck.
      Choose X. Create an Ionioi Hetairoi with X mana counters and put it into play under your control.

Ionioi Hetairoi
      At the start of each of your opponents' turns, that player chooses one at random X times: create a random unique troop for which you meet the threshold requirements and put it into play; create a random basic shard and play it; draw a card, then gain life equal to its cost and shuffle up to that many cards at random from your crypt into your deck.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Play X random shards from your deck.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Gain control of up to X target troops.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Return up to X target cards from your crypt to your hand.
      That certainly is interesting in addition to being insanely complicated. Seems like it would either be completely unplayed or practically mandatory for farming with no middle ground. I am curious now, though, about how many equipments have text that are several multiples longer than that of the original card.
    • IMO most PVE encounters are trivially easy once you've got a solid deck. I also feel that mill is too strong for PvE. I find myself making janky decks to increase the difficulty, but I really wish that instead of building my deck to be less efficient, I could have automatically triggered cards that layer on certain difficulty enhancing effects. Since the challenge is to do one card, I decided to make its difficulty adjustable with X, but I think it'd be much better to just let you include as many copies as you like of each hard mode card.

I think the key to doing this and keeping it interesting is to make sure that the opponent gains greater access to their deck and charge power, as this is what makes the encounters unique. Still, some decks are too one dimensional to be a challenge even with such buffs, so I think random reinforcements are needed.

Since I expect this to get quite tough, I added lifelines with the 1 shots, but gated them with 2cost to prevent abuse (otherwise you could set X=50, mull for skarnbreath, and win turn 1. If you set X that high you'll be dead by the time you can activate the ramp with the 2 cost.).
    • Card that gets Equipped: Eye of Creation
      Name: Quantum Decision
      Slot: Head
      Abilit(y)(ies): Create 4 copies of every troop played this way. 1 set of the copies is placed in your deck. 1 set of the copies is placed in your void. 1 set of the copies is placed in your crypt. And 1 set of the copies is placed in your hand.
    • GeneralVeers wrote:

IMO most PVE encounters are trivially easy once you've got a solid deck.
      You raise valid points (though I thought I would be unnecessary to quote your whole post here), but I think that adding a hard mode would be best done some place other than on a card.

One issue I see is that many mercenaries couldn't even put Army of Myth onto their decks due to shard grid restrictions; main characters may have the same issue, but I believe each of them can include at least one copy of any card by levell 15. You could get around this problem by having multiple hard mode cards, but then there'd be another issue of how they interact with each other.
    • Griffinheart wrote:

You raise valid points (though I thought I would be unnecessary to quote your whole post here), but I think that adding a hard mode would be best done some place other than on a card.

One issue I see is that many mercenaries couldn't even put Army of Myth onto their decks due to shard grid restrictions; main characters may have the same issue, but I believe each of them can include at least one copy of any card by levell 15. You could get around this problem by having multiple hard mode cards, but then there'd be another issue of how they interact with each other.
      I'm in agreement with this, personally. I don't like tying difficulty into a card, I'd rather it be more thought out than that.

• Equipment is for Daarmak

Equipment name: Chromatic Scale
      Equipment Text: Your Daarmak's have "(2) Search your deck for a resource then play that resource."

The idea is to make this card more playable by allowing you to play a 2nd resource in a turn for a cost of 2 while Daarmak is in your hand.
    • Griffinheart wrote:

many mercenaries couldn't even put Army of Myth onto their decks due to shard grid restrictions
      It says "this ignores all deck building restrictions".

Eraia wrote:

I don't like tying difficulty into a card, I'd rather it be more thought out than that.
      In many ways difficulty is already tied to cards, but I understand your point.

I really like Studebaker's Daarkmak item. It inspired me to make this, which lets you play out one of my favourite Star Trek episodes, Darmok. The obtuse threshold requirements on Daarmak are like the Tamarian's strange language, and the slow threshold gains on Jalaad are like Picard slowly learning to communicate. When they learn to work together, they can defeat the beast! The card Daarmak itself is already very thematically fitting for the Tamarian, who works hard to explore things that are different.

Daarmak
      Equipment name: Tamarian Dagger
      Slot: Weapon
      Equipment Text: Your Daarmaks have "when you draw this, put a Jalaad into play under your control and a Beast of Tanaagra into play under your opponent's control. Deploy: If you control Jalaad, void all opposing Shapeshifters."

Jalaad
      Type: Troop - Captain
      Rules: Swiftstrike. At the beginning of your turn, if an opponent controls a Shapeshifter, gain <0/1> and a random threshold.
      [ATTACK] 2 / 2 [DEFENSE]

Beast of Tanaagra
      Type: Troop - Shapeshifter
      Rules: At the beginning of your turn, transform this into a random Legendary troop. It gets +1/+1 and retains this power and the type Shapeshifter.
      2 / 2

The post was edited 6 times, last by GeneralVeers ().

• Equipment for: Woken Drokkatar

Equipment name: Footsteps of Nettlemoss
      Slot: Feet
      Equipment Text: Each of your cards named Woken Drokkatar have "Troops in your hand cost -5".

Woken Drokkatar has a fun little mini-game that makes you feel like you're progressing to something great. He also takes quite a while to build up so when he hits the board you want to remember it.

Without this equipment though, it's very easy for that landing to be anti-climactic - particularly if you only have non-crush troops or recently got board-wiped.

With this equipment, we can now be followed by giant and cheap creatures that will make him much more impactful.

it also opens up a lot of play space to build around - new combos, self-bounce, etc. He could see some real play if tempo-bounce effects start dominating the meta - this equipment would really make him shine against those effects.
    • Studebaker wrote:

Equipment is for Daarmak

Equipment name: Chromatic Scale
      Equipment Text: Your Daarmak's have "(2) Search your deck for a resource then play that resource."

The idea is to make this card more playable by allowing you to play a 2nd resource in a turn for a cost of 2 while Daarmak is in your hand.
      So you want this ability to be active while in your hand, not in play, correct?

Interested idea. You might want to add "While this is in your hand, " before the cost. But I definitely like the idea.

• Flamebarbed Scimitar
      (Equipment for Angel of Agony)

Slot: Weapon

Your Angels of Agony have "Burning, Dazed, and Vulnerable counters on opposing champions are not removed."

Idea: Angel of Agony normally prevents troops from recovering. Now with her equipment, she prevents champions from recovering. I thought about preventing health gain, but that ability doesn't really encourage new deck building and already exists on another card. But making these temporary negative status effect counters permanent is a new ability that could cause some interesting hijinks... if the opponent lives long enough to endure the pain.

There still aren't that many cards that give these tokens to opposing champions yet, but now you can make sure they stay there.

Lastly, the slot was chosen to be a weapon to not conflict with the other cards that give status counters.
    • Very interesting cards, everyone. It was fun reading through them. Here's a short bit of commentary on what I thought about each one. I won't be quoting the text for each one as doing so quickly became a monstrous mess.

• Eraia - Searing Vial Syringe ([card]Zombie Plague[/card])
        • Great equipment. Really adds a new dimension to how the card works and even zombie-fleshes out an underdeveloped theme.
        • Everyone wants more zombies.
      • Deadjack - Chaos Orb ([card]Bastardspawn of Bokrug[/card])
        • This does somewhat add a "win more" effect on a "win more" card, but I love that it continues the theme of the Chaostouched corrupting everything around them.
      • General Veers - Reality Marble ([card]Army of Myth[/card]) & Tamarian Dagger ([card]Daarmak[/card])
        • Both are very interesting equipment that are more complex than 99% of other cards and equipment in the game.
        • I do like the effects of each but feel that simpler versions would be more likely to be implemented into the game.
        • Reality Marble, in particular, introduces a whole set of rules adjustments and would require more additions to the code than an equipment probably should.
          • "This ignores deckbuilding restrictions, and you may have only 1 copy in your deck." <-- I understand the intent of this, but it is very confusing and somewhat paradoxical. It would be like a troop with the abilites: "Unblockable. This may be blocked by Battle Hoppers.
      • Invinible - Quantum Decision ([card]Eye of Creation[/card])
        • This surpasses Deadjack's Chaos Orb as a "win more" effect, but this does add a new wrinkle to Eye of Creation by tossing extra troops into pretty much every zone in the game.
        • I have no idea what use one could get out of troops in the void, but, even if there's no benefit now, this could always be an effect that grows more powerful with time as new cards and mechanics are implemented
      • Studebaker - Chromatic Scale ([card]Daarmak[/card])
        • This is an equipment that I could easily see being added to the game. It's a good effect that amplifies the power of the card it's attached to.
        • The ability would need to be modified and tuned, however.
          • It does need something like "While this is in your hand...".
          • Also, either the cost would have to be increased (paying 2 to search for a resource and put it into play is a VERY powerful ability when you don't even have to have played the card) or the resources would have have to go to your hand instead of into play (and this ability would still be pretty good).
      • Faceremover - Footsteps of Nettlemoss ([card]Woken Drokkatar[card])
        • This equipment feels a bit like it's trying to to do everything with one card by having mass pump and basically making every troop free.
        • I personally think that a more likely equipment for this card would be to add some sort conscription ability or to summon a random drokka or two.
      • Arcanyx - Flamebarbed Scimitar ([card]Angel of Agony[/card])
        • Great equipment that adds depth to the card's theme of making the opponent suffer.
        • It's possible that the effect might be too strong (though it's in line with other cards and equipment), but Arcanyx was correct when stating that very few cards add these counters.

Alright, finally done typing that out. My winners are as follows. I'll message each in turn to confirm your in-game name and to have you select what card you want. The winners really designed some interesting equipment that expanded what the cards could do. The door prize recipient secured his place through monumental effort.

1st prize - Eraia
      2nd prize - Arcanyx
      3rd prize - Invinible

Door prize - General Veers
    • Thank you! I've been wanting to get my hands on a zombie plague for a while, woot! :)

I'll figure out a contest and prizes a bit later on today.

I just wanted to say that I also really liked the creativity displayed here. A lot of cool effects. :)

• GeneralVeers wrote:

Army of Myth

Ionioi Hetairoi
      At the start of each of your opponents' turns, that player chooses one at random X times: create a random unique troop for which you meet the threshold requirements and put it into play; create a random basic shard and play it; draw a card, then gain life equal to its cost and shuffle up to that many cards at random from your crypt into your deck.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Play X random shards from your deck.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Gain control of up to X target troops.
      [ONESHOT] (2) [EXHAUST] : Return up to X target cards from your crypt to your hand.
      My, my. I'll admit my memory's a bit fuzzy, but this may be the first time I've seen someone acknowledge what Army of Myth was a nod to.