Can no longer log in through Steam

• Can no longer log in through Steam

So, this update broke the Steam build for me. When I load the Steam build it just asks me to create an account. There is no login screen or anything. My account was linked to my Steam.

I loaded the executable directly and logged in to transfer over thinking I needed to do that first. It transferred and I can log in that way. I went back to Steam and it still won't log me in. It just wants to create a new account.

So, now I can't use the Steam install I have?
    • Just input your current account info as though you were creating a new account and you'll be connected (I know this isn't intuitive, I apologize).

Alternatively, if you've already verified the account through the standalone client, then even if you create a new account while logging into steam, it will still connect you to a previously linked account with no changes to your account information.
    • Okay I did the confirm thing on steam and got bulked by the create an account so I switched to the non-steam login and got the invalid account. On a whim I went back to Steam and typed my information in the create an account and was able to log into Steam.

I haven't re-tried the non-steam client yet.
    • I can confirm that this fixes any of the weird "invalid login, needs transfer" states for accounts launched through Steam. Pretend the "Create Account" dialog is your login screen!

This will also enable you to log in launched from the SteamApps folder as normal.

(this seems to happen when your steam-linked account accepts the gameforge transfer dialog, but doesn't continue through to log in)
    • Sinzar wrote:

Still having the same problem. I can login with standalone client, but Steam client only gives me Invalid_Account error when trying to login through the create account screen.
      As long as your steam account was previously linked, and you've logged in via the standalone, typing any sort of new account info into the sign-in should link you back to your account without changing anything. It will only block you if the address is already being used of an account. Just make sure the new e-mail you use is something you have access to in case something goes wrong.
      (If your normal e-mail is address@email.com I recommend using address+1@email.com for the new account. I think most e-mail domains allow this as a trick to have multiple addresses for a single account. Gmail does at least.)
    • HEXahedron wrote:

Sinzar wrote:

Still having the same problem. I can login with standalone client, but Steam client only gives me Invalid_Account error when trying to login through the create account screen.
      As long as your steam account was previously linked, and you've logged in via the standalone, typing any sort of new account info into the sign-in should link you back to your account without changing anything. It will only block you if the address is already being used of an account. Just make sure the new e-mail you use is something you have access to in case something goes wrong.(If your normal e-mail is address@email.com I recommend using address+1@email.com for the new account. I think most e-mail domains allow this as a trick to have multiple addresses for a single account. Gmail does at least.)
      My account was never linked with steam, it's always brought me to the new account creation window without a button or anything to say "Hey I already have an existing account, use that instead". I was hoping this new patch would have fixed that, but it's still not linking when I try to use my existing account in the create new account window as suggested in this thread.
    • I'll try to out-line the various transition states.

Game Account State1 - auth by user/pass
      Game Account State2 - auth by user/pass, and linked to steam
      Game Account State3 - auth linked to steam

So if you had an account in any of the 3 states prior to transition, it is itself a unique account. So when we go to transition:

State1 - download patcher login user/pass -> get old gameforge id -> re-cache credentials, mark as transitioned, clear gameforge linkage

State2 -
      possible senario #1
      step 1 - transition via user/pass -> ask migrate -> check gameforge id -> re-cache creds, mark as transitioned, clear gameforge linkage
      step 2 - login via steam -> see gameforge steam linkage -> ask migrate -> get gameforge id, can't find it, lookup already transitioned account, link to that.

senario #2
      step 1 - connect via steam -> ask migrate -> check gameforge id -> detect we have no user/pass show "create user/pass dialog"
      senarios -> user enters user/pass from old linkage, lookup is preformed, if same gameforge id -> link account
      else its a different gameforge id, its a different account no merging supported.
      user enters user/pass but maybe forgot the password, you get account exists error (you need your correct gameforge user/pass)
      user enters new user/pass -> make sure its really new (check gameforge, check hex) then cache that set it on the account, this old gameforge ID now has this user/pass auth (along with steam auth), the original gameforge user/pass is no longer valid, because this is now set for the migrated account.

step 2
      option1 - user logins in the normal client with old gameforge/user pass, can't find this in hex's auth, check gameforge, check hex again on the id returned, notice its already transitioned, get invalid_account error, you didn't use the "new" user pass set in step1.

option2 - user login in the normal client uses new user/pass, you're in

State 3 - (user only had steam linkage)
      step1 -> connect via steam -> ask migrate -> check gameforge -> detected we have no valid user/pass show "create user/pass dialog
      user must end new unique email/pass all steam accounts require email pass now. (allows SSO on forums).

So if you had a unique Steam account and a unique Normal auth account, these accounts are still separate accounts, we can't merge the data its not supported.

Probably the biggest hiccup here is, you have normal and steam auth on your account, but you've been using steam so long you forgot your normal auth, now you can't link. In that case you would need to reset your password with gameforge's system (so you knew what it was) then enter the credentials in the "create account" popup. The link to reset your pass with gameforge; I'm working on seeing where that might be, but as of right now I'm not sure if there is one. Or you could pick a new email and live with that as your normal email/pass auth. If you do pick a new email, there is no recovery of your old email. At some point when gameforge is no longer checked for migration you could recover it at that point (once we add in change email functionality).
    • HEXahedron wrote:

Sinzar wrote:

As long as your steam account was previously linked, and you've logged in via the standalone, typing any sort of new account info into the sign-in should link you back to your account without changing anything. It will only block you if the address is already being used of an account. Just make sure the new e-mail you use is something you have access to in case something goes wrong.(If your normal e-mail is address@email.com I recommend using address+1@email.com for the new account. I think most e-mail domains allow this as a trick to have multiple addresses for a single account. Gmail does at least.)
      I did this and all it did was make a new account :( now I'm stuck linked to some floob account to my steam? lol :(

Twitch —— YouTube —— Twitter —— Steam —— Patreon
    • Same, I would get INVALID_ACCOUNT using my original e-mail. I tried to log in to the website and it told me to log in to the client and convert to a Hex Account. Went back to steam and gave it a new e-mail address and password and all is well. Steam account automatically linked to it correctly.
    • Excrutio wrote:

Same, I would get INVALID_ACCOUNT using my original e-mail. I tried to log in to the website and it told me to log in to the client and convert to a Hex Account. Went back to steam and gave it a new e-mail address and password and all is well. Steam account automatically linked to it correctly.
      If you want help a bit more, you could reset your original login here en.hex.gameforge.com/passwordreset.html. If the email is correct you should get a reset link, then you can set the password. If you login to the client with your email, pass, it should give you some error if this truly was the account that was also linked to the steam account. If not then they are 2 separate accounts.