Winner is the Judge - March 20 thru March 26

• Winner is the Judge - March 20 thru March 26

Link to the Previous Round

The Rules:
      Design a card (or in this case multiple cards) that meets the design constraint described below. The one that I like the best is the winner. (Just to let you know, I generally prefer novel ideas, especially those that are executed simply. You can get an idea of what I like from my designs in previous rounds.)

The winner then creates a thread for the next round, creates a new design constraint, and the game continues.

Deadline for submissions will be March 26, 12:00 pm PST. I'll then announce the winner that afternoon and deliver all prizes then.

Design Constraint:
      Design a card that has "transform" in its rules text. You can decide whether the card itself transforms or if it transforms other cards. You may also design the card that it gets transformed into. Look at the prizes for examples of different cards that "transform".

Prizes:
      The winner will choose first from the following list of prizes, second place will choose next, and so on... The prizes that are up for grabs:
      • 1x Orson's Dream
      • 2x Ascetic Aspirant
      • 3x Eurig the Robomancer
      • 4x Master of Masks
      • 5x Mentor of the Grave

Participation prize: Everyone that posts will get four copies of the only permanently transforming card: Spectral Acorn AA (limited to the first 100 entries)

If your IGN is not your forum name, please include it so that I can deliver your acorns.
    • The card I wish I had this set...

Ashwood Naturalist
      [RUBY] [RUBY] 3

Troop - Elf Cleric
      [EXHAUST] 3 - This gets 'cannot ready during your ready step' until the end of your next turn. Gain control of all opposing dreadlings. Transform all dreadlings you control into Shroompins. Gain 1 life for each Shroompin you control.

1 [ATTACK] 2 [DEFENSE]
      "The Underworld has done awful things, but the mechanical shroomkin menace known as the 'Dreadling' is the most heinous. I will put a stop to it."

Edit: Oh, but I don't need any acorns. Thank you though. :)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Eraia ().

• Eraia wrote:

The card I wish I had this set...

Ashwood Naturalist
      [RUBY] [RUBY] 3

Troop - Elf Cleric
      [EXHAUST] 3 - This gets 'cannot ready during your ready step' until the end of your next turn. Gain control of all opposing dreadlings. Transform all dreadlings you control into Shroompins. Gain 1 life for each Shroompin you control.

1 [ATTACK] 2 [DEFENSE]
      "The Underworld has done awful things, but the mechanical shroomkin menace known as the 'Dreadling' is the most heinous. I will put a stop to it."

Edit: Oh, but I don't need any acorns. Thank you though. :)
      Just a design question, but why did you choose [RUBY] for this card instead of [WILD] ?

In terms of color identities, your card is like a fusion between two Wild cards: Grove Warden (for the stealing opponent's artifacts) and Shoku's Garden (for the Shroomkin related-lifegain).
    • Arcanyx wrote:

Just a design question, but why did you choose for this card instead of ?

In terms of color identities, your card is like a fusion between two Wild cards: Grove Warden (for the stealing opponent's artifacts) and Shoku's Garden (for the Shroomkin related-lifegain).
      I chose Ruby for balance reasons. I think it is bad design when an archetype's best counters are within the same shards as the archetype.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Hmm...should I make a separate contest thread or let this one ride?

Edit - I won't make a separate contest thread as that would unnecessarily split people's focus. Personally, though, I feel it'd be best for future winners to be picked by vote if a judge fails to pick one in a reasonable time frame.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Griffinheart ().

• Name: Sacrificial Lamb
      Cost: 7
      Threshold Requirement: [DIAMOND] [BLOOD] [WILD]
      Type: Quick Troop
      Rarity: Common
      Abilities: Deploy - Add a Mystery Threat to each opposing deck user's deck.
      Deathcry - Add a copy of each bane added to decks this turn to each respective opposing deck user's deck = your cards in hand + cards in that respective opposing deck user's hand.
      0 [ATTACK] /0 [DEFENSE]
      Favor Text: Let's see them try to predict what we are doing when we have not the slightest clue. - lost coyotle

Name: Mystery Threat
      Cost: none
      Threshold Requirement: none
      Type: Bane Token
      Abilities: You can't draw anymore cards the rest of the turn you draw this.
      This transforms into another random Bane than is shuffled back into your deck.
    • invinible wrote:

Name: Sacrificial Lamb
      Deathcry - Add a copy of each bane added to decks this turn to each respective opposing deck user's deck = your cards in hand + cards in that respective opposing deck user's hand.
      0 [ATTACK] /0 [DEFENSE]
      Favor Text: Let's see them try to predict what we are doing when we have not the slightest clue. - lost coyotle

I understand the intent of the card, but it got me thinking of a rules question: would the deathcry trigger actually resolve before the deploy trigger?

My thinking:
      1. Play Sacrificial Lamb. Deploy trigger put on the chain.
      2. Sacrificial Lamb has 0/0 stats and immediately enters crypt. Deploy trigger still on the chain.
      3. Deathcry trigger added to the chain.
      4. Chain is "Last in, first out", so the deathcry trigger resolves first duplicating any banes, and then the deploy trigger resolves adding a single Mystery Threat.

Step 2 is the step I am unsure about. It would be how a different card game works, but I'm not 100% sure HEX works the same way.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Arcanyx ().

• Arcanyx wrote:

invinible wrote:

Name: Sacrificial Lamb
      0 [ATTACK] /0 [DEFENSE]

I understand the intent of the card, but it got me thinking of a rules question: would the deathcry trigger actually resolve before the deploy trigger?
      My thinking:
      1. Play Sacrificial Lamb. Deploy trigger put on the chain.
      2. Sacrificial Lamb has 0/0 stats and immediately enters crypt. Deploy trigger still on the stack.
      3. Deathcry trigger added to the chain.
      4. Chain is "Last in, first out", so the deathcry trigger resolves first duplicating any banes, and then the deploy trigger resolves adding a single Mystery Threat.

Step 2 is the step I am unsure about. It would be how a different card game works, but I'm not 100% sure HEX works the same way.

Have you never check out hextcg.com/new-to-chapter-ii-keywords-and-gems/ before?

Deploy only works by putting something on the field and Deathcry only works by removing a troop from the field.
    • invinible wrote:

Have you never check out hextcg.com/new-to-chapter-ii-keywords-and-gems/ before?

Deploy only works by putting something on the field and Deathcry only works by removing a troop from the field.
      I am fully aware of how the abilities work by themselves. They are both triggers, and since they do not target, both abilities will appear to resolve automatically, but there is timing involved, which is not always immediately obvious (just look at the obnoxiousness caused by Dark Heart in this thread coming from ordering of start of turn triggers).

My question arises from having both abilities on a 0/0 troop.

I suspect that a 0/0 troop will die immediately upon entering play, and so my question stems from whether it would die while the Deploy trigger is still on the chain, causing the Deathcry trigger to be placed on the chain after the deploy trigger, and then resolving as I described above.

To restate my question:
      Which happens first once a 0/0 creature enters play: a Deploy trigger from a 0/0 troop resolving, or a 0/0 creature dying?

I understand what you intended your card to do: play Sac Lamb, put a Mystery Threat in opponents deck, then copy that Mystery Threat and all other banes that entered an opponent's deck. Your card just made me think of an interesting question... which I now realize is entirely tangential to the purpose of this thread as a card design contest.
    • Name: Pippetfest XXIV
      Cost: 3
      Threshold Requirement: [WILD]
      Type: Constant
      Rarity: Rare
      Abilities: Whenever a troop is cast, transform it into a random Fae. It gets "At the start of your turn, this has a 50% chance to revert."
      Favor Text: "I can't believe it, folks! It's pippetmonium in the ring!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Griffinheart ().

• Name: Acorn Collector
      Threshold Requirement: [WILD] [DIAMOND]
      Type: Troop - Human / [ARDENT]
      Abilities: Diligence - Transform this into a Weresquirrel
      0 [ATTACK] / 3 [DEFENSE]
      Flavor Text: "They always said I was nuts"

Name: Weresquirrel
      Cost: 6
      Threshold Requirement: [WILD] [WILD]
      Type: Troop - Squirrel Beast / Neutral
      Abilities: [RAGE] Diligence - Transform this into an Acorn Collector
      6 [ATTACK] / 6 [DEFENSE]
    • Studebaker wrote:

Name: Acorn Collector
      Threshold Requirement: [WILD] [DIAMOND]
      Type: Troop - Human / [ARDENT]
      Abilities: Diligence - Transform this into a Weresquirrel
      0 [ATTACK] / 3 [DEFENSE]
      Flavor Text: "They always said I was nuts"

Name: Weresquirrel
      Cost: 6
      Threshold Requirement: [WILD] [WILD]
      Type: Troop - Squirrel Beast / Neutral
      Abilities: [RAGE] Diligence - Transform this into an Acorn Collector
      6 [ATTACK] / 6 [DEFENSE]
      I feel like the Weresquirrel should have a quote. Maybe "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!"
    • Name: Vampire Nanny
      Cost: 5
      Threshold Requirement: [BLOOD] [BLOOD]
      Type: Troop - Vampire
      Rarity: Legendary

Abilities: Flight. Lifedrain. If another troop would be put into a crypt from play, its controller loses life equal to its [ATTACK] and puts it into their hand instead. When this deals damage to an opponent who has more cards in hand than you, transform a random card in their hand into a Vampire put it into your hand.

2 /6
      Flavor Text: "Teaching these tykes to keep in good health and company will take an eternity, Milord!" "That can be arranged."

The post was edited 2 times, last by GeneralVeers ().

• So the text below is what was going through my head as I looked at the different submissions. The winners are announced at the bottom and I will now send messages via the forum to the winners to determine the prizes. Once I have all the requests, I'll log on and deliver all prizes (which will probably happen tomorrow).
      ______

Mecha-Bee Keeper
      Leaps and bounds better than Master Theorycrafter, but I'm not really picky about power level for these contests. It will drown the opponent in Bees, which is always amusing.

Ashwood Naturalist
      I still can't get over this being a ruby card. I like the idea of taking control and transforming an opponent's Dreadlings, but the outcome just isn't very Ruby. Maybe if they transformed into Blaze Elemental or something.

Sacrificial Lamb + Mystery Threat
      I'm not sure why Wild and Diamond are included since neither of those colors are invested in creating Banes. Flavor is also kinda odd; a lamb that dies on being played is more expensive than some dragons. The Mystery Threat is pretty cool. It's the Bane that keeps on Baning.

Pippetfest XXIV
      Amusing use of transform effects. Transforming is central to the card and certainly creates interesting play states since your bomb that you played just turned into a Fae and may never transform back.

Acorn Collector
      Cool use of having a card transform between two states. An excellent card for demonstrating unique design space for transforming cards

Vampire Nanny
      An interesting combination of abilities that synergize interestingly. The solution for preventing you from abusing the returning dying creatures to your hand by having them deal damage to you is cool.

Party Pippit
      Fun little card, pretty much a more random version of Orson's Dream.

_____

WINNERS

1. Griffinheart for PippetfestXXIV
      2. Studebaker for Acorn Collector
      3. GeneralVeers for Vampire Nanny
      4. BirthingPodder for Mecha-Bee Keeper
      5. invinible for Mystery Threat

The post was edited 1 time, last by Arcanyx ().

• Arcanyx wrote:

Ashwood Naturalist
      I still can't get over this being a ruby card. I like the idea of taking control and transforming an opponent's Dreadlings, but the outcome just isn't very Ruby. Maybe if they transformed into Blaze Elemental or something.
      The point was that an Elf was using ruby magic to effectively 'burn' away the machine components of the whole affair, leaving the shroompin behind. Ruby is a natural elf colour, artifact hate is a natural elf theme, and thus I combined the two in a ruby card for balance reasons.

If it'd been wild, it would've defeated the ENTIRE purpose of the card(which was to provide a counterbalancing force for dreadlings)... and turning them into elementals would've made no sense for an elf to me. Having them restored to their natural state via being 'purged' as it were by the ruby magic that the elves employ felt RIGHT for an Elf card to me.

I think you chose a really silly reason to hate the card, but that's fine.

Grats griffinheart