Draft A Day - YouTube Videos and Weekly Contest

• Draft A Day - YouTube Videos and Weekly Contest

Since 6-6-5 became the draft format I've basically been drafting non-stop. I play the games inbetween other work a lot of the time though so it is difficult to stream everything and still get other stuff done.

Since the building of the draft deck is often the most interesting part, I've decided to start recording all of the drafting portions that I do and posting them every day on my YouTube channel in a new "Draft A Day" series.

The first two are live now:

New videos will post everyday at midnight PST

Since I am not actually showing the games, but I am recording my records, I am going to run a small contest at the end of each week. I'm going to have people vote on how well they think each of the 7 decks did. The person who gets closest to their actual records will win a draft pack (3 boosters+100 plat).
    • Darkwonders wrote:

Really enjoying your draft videos!

Hope you will be playing draft occasionally on stream again.
      I'm going to be focusing my weekly streams mostly on constructed, but will probably have random extra for drafting here and there. Did a couple last night with games in fact :)

Next two draft a day videos live. First contest details will go up on my blog after tomorrow's video is live:

• I actually like to Watch you play out those matches. Drafting is one thing but you don't see the end result (did the cards have good synergie, what card is good against what etc)

Since you record your drafts, any possibility that you record you playing and put them on youtube when you give the result???
      Don't need to do them all but those that seem fun and usefull

Thanks and keep up the good work
    • Dear Jeff, I honestly stopped watching your draft vids after your decided to cut off the actual play part in favor of giveaways whereas I was devouring them before. I can't understand why you would cut the play part. It's like going to school and learning theory and then never getting to know how and why the stuff that you've just been taught applies in actual life. For instance you're a fan of skyspire scholar. Now that's a card that I think you really have to see in action to understand why it's so good. Because it's really only good in limited. I've learned why it is good through your vids and would not have considered picking such a card otherwise.

I think the people that watch your streams can be divided into two groups. The guys that have been with you for a long time and just enjoy hanging out with you or seeing you do your thing and the people that consider you a teacher. I guess the former group doesn't really care about the play part of drafts as they're mostly experienced enough themselves already. I think you have a teaching gift, far more than any of the other streamers I've watched so far and this was actually shining in limited play because the decisions you have to make there are usually more difficult than the decisions you make in constructed because constructed decks usually follow predetermined patterns.

I might just be me, i don't know, but I would really like to see you stream a full draft every now and then.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Transience wrote:

I honestly stopped watching your draft vids after your decided to cut off the actual play part in favor of giveaways whereas I was devouring them before
      This wasn't a "give aways are better than game play" decision. This is a purely time based decision. I am drafting anyways, so recording the draft portion really isn't that much added work. This is because draft has decisions that come mostly one after another and there is minimal down time to fill.

Matches aren't like this. My opponent's over average take far long to make decisions than I do. This means when I'm not streaming I can get work done while playing instead of filling dead air while we wait for the other player to make decisions. Recording game play of all these drafts would be another 14-20 hours a week of time dedicated to just Hex content and nothing else. While I am grateful for my subs / patrons - I don't currently have anywhere near enough for content production to replace full time work.

Like I said - I'm recording these drafts because I am drafting anyways because I enjoy doing so, and had a few folks ask if I would.

Regardless of your own personal feelings about draft game play VS constructed in terms of interesting - objectively speaking limited content is far less viewed / desired from my experience. Compare a draft video posted on the 25th which currently has 150~ views to an archive of a constructed stream (so something people already watched live) which currently has over 400 views posted the same day.

Like I said, I'll still be drafting on stream now and then because I like it, but my primary focus is still constructed. Not only because I like that too - but there is a great desire for constructed related content.
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Transience wrote:

I honestly stopped watching your draft vids after your decided to cut off the actual play part in favor of giveaways whereas I was devouring them before
      This wasn't a "give aways are better than game play" decision. This is a purely time based decision. I am drafting anyways, so recording the draft portion really isn't that much added work. This is because draft has decisions that come mostly one after another and there is minimal down time to fill.
      Matches aren't like this. My opponent's over average take far long to make decisions than I do. This means when I'm not streaming I can get work done while playing instead of filling dead air while we wait for the other player to make decisions. Recording game play of all these drafts would be another 14-20 hours a week of time dedicated to just Hex content and nothing else. While I am grateful for my subs / patrons - I don't currently have anywhere near enough for content production to replace full time work.

Like I said - I'm recording these drafts because I am drafting anyways because I enjoy doing so, and had a few folks ask if I would.

Regardless of your own personal feelings about draft game play VS constructed in terms of interesting - objectively speaking limited content is far less viewed / desired from my experience. Compare a draft video posted on the 25th which currently has 150~ views to an archive of a constructed stream (so something people already watched live) which currently has over 400 views posted the same day.

Like I said, I'll still be drafting on stream now and then because I like it, but my primary focus is still constructed. Not only because I like that too - but there is a great desire for constructed related content.
      I too prefer yoru full draft content, and I completely understand that you can't record every draft that you do (especially that you seem to do alot more then you used to ) but hopefully we,ll have the chance to see those full drafts happening on youtube once in a while

Thanx again for all the content you produce for hex. its always good to see you play no matter what format
    • JeffHoogland wrote:

Starting today draft videos include game play + a wrap up section.

Not every day will have full commentary over the game play, but at least once a week will.
      I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the content you have been putting out on Hex, and also including different type of content (like commentary on drafts)

Because of that you have a new subscriber on twitch

Keep up the good work