Looking for Wiki experts and helpers!

• Looking for Wiki experts and helpers!

Hey everyone!

Some of you might have known that in the past I tried to set up a wiki page for Hex, and a few members of the community did try and help out.

For various reasons, the project never really took off, however it was always there.

You can find it here: hexcompendium.com/

I would like to get this started up again, and a bit more seriously - provided that there is interest from the community.
      However we need a bit of help. Wiki's have a few issues (example spambots) and previous attempts to stop them only helped a little.

I'd like to put it out to the players to see if anyone would be interested in helping out with any of the following points:
      • Working on content (hardest one)
      • Helping to kill spam bots/any technical knowledge
      • Giving ideas on making the work easier with scripts or whatever.
      • Kicking my ass to remain active on it (I mean...I'm hosting it, so I really should do something but I like to sleep a lot)
      • Anything else?

My card: Darkfall Patriarch
    • I remember doing some work on cards at one stage. There's still a ton I want to add to the card pages alone and I guess I would need to add set 6 as well.

I was planning on getting my 20 immortal tickets and finishing off the last couple of PvE cards i'm missing from AZ2 this week then playing the 2nd launch event. But if I decide to take a break maybe I'll get started and from next week I'll be prepared to put a lot more time in.
    • Reeplay wrote:

I remember doing some work on cards at one stage. There's still a ton I want to add to the card pages alone and I guess I would need to add set 6 as well.

I was planning on getting my 20 immortal tickets and finishing off the last couple of PvE cards i'm missing from AZ2 this week then playing the 2nd launch event. But if I decide to take a break maybe I'll get started and from next week I'll be prepared to put a lot more time in.
      Yeah thanks for that! You and @Nollfem were epic content creators!
      Perhaps we can now restart this to make it a truly useful and good resource site for everyone!

Work log for today:
      • Nuked all the spam (or at least most of it).
      • Adding a Hex specific captcha (so to create pages/accounts you will need to answer a Hex related question). What happened was our old system (whilst it did work for a while) just broke.
      • Working to get an automated process to make card pages (work in progress - but it looks good)

My card: Darkfall Patriarch
    • I can also help on this side as the localisation of the set 6 is still pending so I've not urgent stuff to check on this side :)

I was helping in the past by creating the first cards set, I can see as there is still some missing content and thank you @Reeplay for updates you made about card abilities (since we got new templates like Deploy, Deathcry and so on...) as it was an important update for the old content.
    • Hello,

Just to keep you informed about the main content I'm working on:
      • Templated texts such as Deploy, Deathcry and Summon are slightly updated: set 1 is done, and set 2 is in progress, other sets untill 4 will get fixes if needed.
      • Table of contents (cards list) for each set will be added: set 1 is done and set 2 is in progress, other sets untill 6 will be done later.
      Note: @Reeplay good job for the last card content added :)
      I contacted @Balthuzad and @Lucifer to know if it's possible to import card images from the HexEnt database (actually some pages use the old Gameforge database), as they've all the content except the set 6, and immortal cards were updated too, example: Pack Raptor
    • A good starting point is to go to wiki.hex4newbies.com/index.php?title=Special:WantedPages and create the pages that have the most links to them. If you're unsure what to create, find a similar page and format it similar to that.

And feel free to poke me once you've made an account, I'll approve your account so you won't have to answer questions to prove you aren't a bot, and make it so your edits appear to the public right away instead of needing approval.
    • Largashbur wrote:

I actually cannot create an account there as there is no way to correctly answer the captcha question.

When it asks: "What shard color is Jadiim", neither "Wild", "wild", "Green" or "green" work.

Maybe you should re-check those captcha questions...
      Ok since it's not working for you I killed the captcha system for now. Can you try now?

(as it turns out, most of our spambots have IPs that are also blocked on wikipedia, so I'm just copying their IP range blocks. should be a good replacement for captchas after i get caught up on all the blocks)

The post was edited 5 times, last by Balthuzad ().

• Largashbur wrote:

I've registered. Please reverse the captcha, spambots are flooding the wiki at this second.
      I think as long as I keep up with IP-range blocks, they won't disrupt the wiki. Luckily until their account is approved, all they can do is create new pages - everything else needs to be approved before it's visible to the public. Your account is good to go :)

Edit: Turned on abuse filters, that is helping a lot with the bots. Crossing Swords (that was a test link, but it kind of fits anyways. Image seems broken atm.)

The post was edited 6 times, last by Balthuzad ().

• There are at least 3 Hex wikis:
      Why don't you guys merge so we can share the work? I updated the socket page at HexTCG.Gamepedia a few months ago, and Largashbur copied and pasted it to Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com yesterday. :P If we merge, then writers and readers wouldn't have to check multiple wikis for the best page. A merger would take some time, but it would save time in the long run.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Perandus ().

• Perandus wrote:

There are at least 3 Hex wikis:
      Why don't you guys merge so we can share the work? I updated the socket page at HexTCG.Gamepedia a few months ago, and Largashbur copied and pasted it to Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com yesterday. :P If we merge, then writers and readers wouldn't have to check multiple wikis for the best page. A merger would take some time, but it would save time in the long run.
      For the record your links are wrong. HexTCG.Gamepedia is linking to clockwork.

It's mostly a formatting thing. Stuff isn't simply typed out on wikis and they often run on 'templates' which reduce the work significantly. I haven't personally checked Gamepedia or Clockwork but I'm going to assume the card pages aren't layed out like this:

Example of the copy cat page
      Display Spoiler

{{Card/Infobox
      |set = Scars of War
      |type = Troop
      |type2 =
      |race = Oni
      |class =
      |subtype =
      |subtype2 =
      |subtype3 =
      |hiddensubtype =
      |hiddensubtype2 =
      |rarity = Rare
      |faction = Neutral
      |sockets =
      |sockets2 =
      |unique =
      |threshold = 5 Sapphire
      |cost = 0
      |atk = 1
      |def = 1
      |keyword = Deploy
      |legality = Standard
      }}
      [[Deploy]] - This transforms into a copy of another target troop. Then, revert that troop.

== Equipment ==

'''Purrrty Robes'''

Rarity: Rare

Drop location: [[Scars of War (set) | Scars of War]] [[Chests | Chest]]

Slot: [[Chest]]

Your [[Copycat]]s instead have, "[[Deploy]] - This transforms into a copy of another target troop. Then, revert that troop. This gets "[[File:Basic.png]]: [(2)] → Revert this, then put this into your hand."

'''Ersatz Gloves'''

Rarity: Common

Drop Location: [[Scars of War (set) | Scars of War]] [[Chests | Chest]]

Slot: Gloves

Your [[Copycat]]s become Quick Troops

== Alternate Art ==
      The Alternate Art of [[Copycat]] can be obtained from opening any [[Scars of War (set) | Scars of War]] [[Chests | Chest]] except Primal.

== Artist ==
      Scars of War - Paul Guzenko

Alternate Art - Paul Guzenko

== Lore Text ==
      Scars of War - "Oni can perfectly copy the forms of other creatures. Why, I could be one, for all you know." -from the journal of [[Lord Bernard P. Dunthorpe]]

Alternate Art - "Oni are motivated by pure mischief." -from the journal of [[Lord Bernard P. Dunthorpe]]

== References ==
      None

== Trivia ==
      [[Copycat]] was the first card to be introduced for the [[Oni]] race.

There also isn't any communication between the sites as far as I'm aware. I don't even speak with the people on hex4newbies much and I've done every card currently on the site (still have a bunch more to do though).
      I have no clue who the people who worked on Gamepedia are but it doesn't look like it's been touched since 2014.
      I'm not sure who runs teamclockwork either but it seems to function as guild website with some information gathered about the campaign more than a full wiki though I will admit I haven't looked too much into it.

Honestly I would have starting working on any of them it's just hex4newbies is the one that caught my attention first and now I've invested so much into that one that it's the one I intend to stick to and I appreciate anyone who goes through the effort to help with anything like this but merging them just isn't really an option sadly.
    • Balthuzad has told me he had put a request in to claim the gamepedia wiki a while back but never heard back from gamepedia. A wiki without administrator support in the background is basically worthless. As there is no current community member that has admin right to the gamepedia wiki, it does not make sense to continue this wiki but rather save the parts of the work from there that's still up-to-date (which is unfortunately, not much) in the hex4newbies wiki.

The Clockwork Wiki is an actively maintained, pure PvE wiki, and is linked as such in the hex4newbies wiki. Afaik, there is no aim to replicate its contents because it's simply not necessary.
    • I fixed the links in my previous post, thank you.

I guess we can copy and paste whatever's better from HexTCG.Gamepedia.com to Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com since the administrators are missing. I stopped updating the pages on the HexTCG.Gamepedia.com a few months ago because I thought almost nobody reads them, since other fan sites already cover almost everything:
      With all due respect, what can wikis like HexTCG.Gamepedia.com and Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com do that the game and other fan sites don't already do?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Perandus ().

• Even if there was an active admin on gamepedia, there's a lot more work put into hex4newbies at this point, so it makes sense to just work on newbies.

Gamepedia:
      Content pages1,227
      Pages
      (All pages in the wiki, including talk pages, redirects, etc.)

Active users (list of members)
      (Users who have performed an action in the last 30 days)

Hex4Newbies:
      Content pages1,906
      Pages
      (All pages in the wiki, including talk pages, redirects, etc.)

Active users (list of members)
      (Users who have performed an action in the last 30 days)

It's really only 6 actives on newbies but still better than zero. Clockwork is good for PVE. Does anyone know if it's open to the public to edit?

And thank you to all the editors on Hex4newbies, including the ones who haven't performed an action in 30 days (like @KingGabriel, @Casus, etc.) Please let me know if I can help you with anything on the wiki.
    • Perandus wrote:

I fixed the links in my previous post, thank you.

I guess we can copy and paste whatever's better from HexTCG.Gamepedia.com to Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com since the administrators are missing. I stopped updating the pages on the HexTCG.Gamepedia.com a few months ago because I thought almost nobody reads them, since other fan sites already cover almost everything:
      With all due respect, what can wikis like HexTCG.Gamepedia.com and Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com do that the game and other fan sites and don't already do?
      It's not about what they can and can't do. It's just how they've been set up. Wikis generally use templates so you don't have to 100's of lines of coding text for each page but they're made on a per wiki basis so they're different across the sites and since all the pages are typed up in that format if you were to copy over the the pages it would just display as it is written.

Yeah the noticeable part of those sites is that they're all specialized because they're built around it. For example the wiki will next have prices, decks (except for decks that hex maybe sold at some time like the collector deck right now) or a filter to just browse say all ardent cards of cost 4 simply because that isn't the intended function.
      What the wiki (hopefully) will be is the first place have basically all the card, campaign, champion, socket and lore information put into one place. Actually it will be the first place to have lore information in general as far as I'm aware. But the wiki will never have truly everything, either because it isn't possible with the way wikis work in general (for example I don't think any wiki can make use of the API just because there is no tool for it or because the amount of work to do it would just be insane.

Here's a fun thing I was planning to do but decided not to because man it would be near impossible to cover and even make understandable on the wiki anyway. I was planning at one point to have entire transcripts of the adventure zones until I noticed just about every conversation has different paths based on your race and class then there's branching paths within that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Reeplay ().

• Perandus wrote:

With all due respect, what can wikis like HexTCG.Gamepedia.com and Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com do that the game and other fan sites don't already do?
      Personally when I'm new to a game, I sometimes use fan wikis for the core concepts or basic strategies. So if I forgot what a basic action was I'd search the wiki for basic action for example. Or I'd search for beginner decks (yes there's decks elsewhere but it's fine to have some decks or deck concepts on a wiki - the more the merrier)
    • Reeplay,

People don't need everything in one place because they can open multiple tabs, i.e. one tab for TeamClockwork.Enjin.com, which covers the campaign, one tab for Hex.TCGBrowser.com, which covers cards, and one tab for HexSales.net or HexPrice.com, which cover prices. They can also bookmark all those tabs in one folder and re-open them all at the same time. These are websites. They are not physical stores where people want everything in one place so they don't have to travel to different stores.

Balthuzad,

I think the game's tutorial already explains concepts like basic action. People in general chat can explain those concepts too. Just now, AeroFordring asked if Scrios Coins can activate diligence on an already ready troop, and someone answered him in a few minutes. Asking questions in general chat is a lot more convenient than searching a wiki for the answer.

I'm worried that you guys are wasting time on Wiki.Hex4Newbies.com because the game and other fan sites already cover everything on it except the lore.