Budgetless Arena: Illuminate

• Budgetless Arena: Illuminate

Cassia Goldenlight 23 life 1 Diamond 4 charges Illuminate 1

Brighthammer Adept (Brighthammer Barbute)
      Obsidian Cyclops (Cyclops Spiked Shoulders)
      Light the Votives
      Light 'Em Up
      Kindlekit (Candle Lighters)
      Runic Candescense
      Wings of Wax (Icarian Slippers)
      The Crowd Roars! (Bursting Bubble and Rending Hammer)
      Scorch
      Spectral Acorn

Carloth Cobblestones
      Well of Conquest
      Diamond Ice
      Ruby Ice
      Wax Sacrament

Of the top end arena clearing decks this one is remarkably inexpensive - relatively speaking. Brighthammer Adept giving Momentum and Gladiator to your team not only buffs their offensive power but provides an answer to one of the arena encounters that hurts our aggressive strategy, the cost in this one is her equipment. Obsidian Cyclops - especially in multiples - makes your team extremely powerful without having to choose between going big or going wide which is one of the archetypes weaknesses, playing one for X = 0 allows future Cyclops at X = 0 to survive. Aside from those Wings of Wax is the third most powerful option for getting you from a handful of candlekin to lethal on board making the deck less reliant on drawing a Cyclops to end the game or having an early Brighthammer Adept. Scorch is here strictly as a 0 cost way to reload your hand with Light 'Em Up but occasionally will allow you to get through some early blockers to whittle down the opponent or rarely in very close games end an opponent who would have survived with 1 life. The efficiently costed candle generators means you can quickly use The Crowd Roars to draw more gas, the cost reduction it provides means playing it at full price before you swing can be the correct choice, allowing you to get blockers through, or playing it after you swing (often turn 3 - to make your next turn that much more powerful) can get an early boardstate that is frankly ridiculous. Carloth Cobblestones is one of two choices that are equally good here, Root of Conquest being the other option because of it's interaction with Runic Candescense, but I felt the early threshold options and not losing the resource that turn was a stronger choice.
    • I feel like Wax Dawn is a better choice than the adepts, and the same equipment slot, don't you? Especially against the ai where they also function as a combat trick where needed...

Sure, getting momentum on your candles is pretty cool, but the flexibility of a quick cast illuminate 3 has so much utility it's hard to turn down, IMO.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Ossuary wrote:

I feel like Wax Dawn is a better choice than the adepts, and the same equipment slot, don't you? Especially against the ai where they also function as a combat trick where needed...

Sure, getting momentum on your candles is pretty cool, but the flexibility of a quick cast illuminate 3 has so much utility it's hard to turn down, IMO.
      I think it's a wash in most cases, the +1 attack and not entering play stunned or exhausted in the gnoll encounter is why I chose it over Wax Dawn, also coming down at 2 feels better to me. Unlike Wax Dawn it makes all future candlekin better at the downside of not making current candlekin better - have to plan your sequences more with it. Without it the resource base gets a bit sketch too, wouldn't run Cobblestones without it.