Screenreader Support

• Screenreader Support

Hello.
      I'm totally blind and looking for a collectable card game with a decent community. I use a Screen reader to read most text and access a computer, my phone, and even a xbox. The problem is most CCGs are totally inaccessible to the software I use unless one were to use the proper tools to allow the two to interact. I have two questions. Firstly, could this be made screen reader accessible? Secondly, what pitfalls do people foresee even if the text were to be made readable? I'm assuming one can use a keyboard or controller to navigate, so I wouldn't be stuck using the mouse. That, coupled with the text-heavy style of the game would seem to make it playable.
      Thanks for any feedback people are willing to give.
    • keign wrote:

Hello.
      I'm totally blind and looking for a collectable card game with a decent community. I use a Screen reader to read most text and access a computer, my phone, and even a xbox. The problem is most CCGs are totally inaccessible to the software I use unless one were to use the proper tools to allow the two to interact. I have two questions. Firstly, could this be made screen reader accessible? Secondly, what pitfalls do people foresee even if the text were to be made readable? I'm assuming one can use a keyboard or controller to navigate, so I wouldn't be stuck using the mouse. That, coupled with the text-heavy style of the game would seem to make it playable.
      Thanks for any feedback people are willing to give.
      I haven't really looked into the Hex API to see about connecting it to accessibility options like screenreader, but aside from visual indicators needing some more audio feedback like turn phase changes I don't think it'd be impossible. The mouse controls on pc are fairly hard to get around, the Ps4 client might be one way they could implement controller support for PC but wouldn't bet on that happening in this iteration of Hex - perhaps if Hex 2 launches successfully in a few years they could expand the API and default options for that. One downside of the Ps4 version of the game is navigating complex board states is tedious and you'd have to keep a lot of what's happening on board in your mind to play reactively, depending of course on what type of deck you're running I suppose. One of the cool things Hex has done is added a lot of sound effects and battle cries to cards as they are played or become activated which would make the experience for you much better than other TCGs if we can sort out some of the API and integration you need. Anyone on here know if that's possible or have a solution to the mouse issue? I know once I learned the game the vast majority of my turns and attacks are done with hotkeys I've set up but actually playing cards, making choices on modular cards, and selecting targets still needs the mouse.
    • Thanks for the response!
      I saw somewhere that a controller works through the Steam version of the game, but idk how true that is/how much of a difference that makes. As to the ps4 version of the game, there would still have to be some sort of TTS implemented, as at least their version of the Screenreader is pretty lacking. Yeah, seems that keyboard support of some sort would be needed. Honestly, this is the first vaguely positive response I've gotten, so I appreciate it even if it can't be done at the moment.