Hex 2 and PVE

• Cory made a post talking about how he hasn't forgotten or given up on Hex. Their attention has been on generating lines of revenue to continue development, but also mentioned the possibility of a Hex 2 where they could start over. The community latched onto the idea because it's the only thing that's been presented to us in at least a year, but it can't be stressed enough that Hex 2 isn't even in alpha stages. They are looking to generate funding for an idea, so don't expect anything for pretty much forever. All we know is that Cory still wants to do Hex properly, probably in the form of a new release. And that they don't have funds for it yet.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

The community latched onto the idea because it's the only thing that's been presented to us in at least a year.
      This sounds suspiciously close to Stockholm Syndrome.

If Hex 2 was announced, they'd have to show something utterly incredible for me to even consider it at this point. They completely obliterated any semblance of goodwill with their actions throughout the first game.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • I think it's more like wishful thinking. Hex has pretty solid foundations as a game, and the ideal of the Kickstarter is excellent. People don't really want to give up on their dreams, even when they know they should. I don't think anyone's giving any credit to Hex, just imagining.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

Cory made a post talking about how he hasn't forgotten or given up on Hex. Their attention has been on generating lines of revenue to continue development, but also mentioned the possibility of a Hex 2 where they could start over. The community latched onto the idea because it's the only thing that's been presented to us in at least a year, but it can't be stressed enough that Hex 2 isn't even in alpha stages. They are looking to generate funding for an idea, so don't expect anything for pretty much forever. All we know is that Cory still wants to do Hex properly, probably in the form of a new release. And that they don't have funds for it yet.
      Exactly what Obsidian said. The desire exists in him to see this concept, this dream seen to fruition. But at this time, as far as we know, the new version of this dream hasn't even reached ideation stages, much less development.

Don't expect to see or hear anything at ALL soon.

But.... the plus side is they were open and upfront about the fact that development for this game has literally stopped(outside of the occasional bug-fix patch and card art insertion, and whatever else they specifically and explicitly stated in that post, if anything), about the fact that they're working on other projects to try to develop some positive recognition in the industry, some capital, and some credibility that they can use to seek proper funding in the future, and the fact that they do someday hope to return to this specific dream and see it through.

So... you can go forward and make your decision about whether you wish to spend any time or money on this specific game knowing the full picture and with expectations set in the appropriate place. And that's all anyone can really ask at this juncture.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

But.... the plus side is they were open and upfront about the fact that development for this game has literally stopped(outside of the occasional bug-fix patch and card art insertion, and whatever else they specifically and explicitly stated in that post, if anything).
      Oh, they finally said it? I'm glad they eventually put it to rest, that was one of the things getting everyone around here so choked, was them dancing around that.
    • To be honest, PVE is the only reason I ever kept coming back to this game. I loved the campaign.

I didn't spend a single penny until I found out about siege defense, and then I spent probably hundreds of dollars and months of effort building a cool themed siege.

My only frustrations really are that the AI is so dumb and there's so much power creep in standard that makes it hard to just have fun playing your own way.
    • AmaroqWolf wrote:

To be honest, PVE is the only reason I ever kept coming back to this game. I loved the campaign.

I didn't spend a single penny until I found out about siege defense, and then I spent probably hundreds of dollars and months of effort building a cool themed siege.

My only frustrations really are that the AI is so dumb and there's so much power creep in standard that makes it hard to just have fun playing your own way.
      A) I'm distressed by your decision to spend "hundreds" at that specific point in time.
      B) Nothing has "creeped" in Standard for years now.
    • If Cory thinks that what people want is "Hex 2" . . . there's really no hope left. Nobody wants a second hex, at least not with the first one still in an obviously incomplete state. People want the first Hex to be finished. Even just raising the level cap again would probably bring a lot of players back for a little bit. Getting a straightforward report on the state of AZ3 when all we really got were lots of hints and rumors would at least show good faith, even if the report simply says that "for _____ reason, there's really no chance of it being released". Really, who do they think is going to give them money to start over with a new version when they can't even finish the features already in the current version? To attract backers, they have to be able to show there is enough interest in the game to turn a future profit with the money the backers give them, which means they need an active population in the game and some form of actual, ongoing development.

Even just as a player, I have spent money in the past on the game, but wont spend any more on it right now when it could literally go permanently offline at any moment, for all we know in the current absence of information and communication from the operator. But why not do another kickstarter if the only thing in the way of further development is money for programmers? I wont spend money on a dead game, but I would spend more money if it was actually going to be used to advance a living game . . living again because development was going to resume.

Now, if the reason for Hex 2 was that programming it into a new engine would make future changes and additions easier, or that they are struggling because they are currently paying licensing fees that a new game would enable them to get out from under, those are reasons that make sense. Those would be acceptable reasons to go ahead an start over with a new version . . . but those don't seem to be the reasons. It just sounds and feels like Cory is bailing on this version in hopes of finding different investors who can be suckered in by the illusion of a sequel. But nobody is going to trust Hex 2 if Hex 1 gets thrown in the trash just because of mismanagement.

It's just really a shame! Hex is a good game, and it's PvE is unmatched anywhere in the PvP-dominated TCG field. Nothing else even comes close for PvE, and I have been trying a lot of different TCGs trying to find something for when, to borrow from the "Stone Me" thread, somebody finally eats the potato.

The thing is, even if Cory really is the only one left, isn't he able to do any programming on the game? If it took him six months to add the next tier of upgrades to raise the level cap for a single class . . but he kept us all informed that he was working on it an how it was going and there was actually something completed at the end of six months, that would still be a huge improvement on the current situation. Enough improvement for me to feel like there was value in spending my limited gaming budget on Hex instead of something else, and enough improvement to probably bring back a lot of players who have given up because the game is currently dead in every way except actually shutting down the servers. Even if it took six months for the smallest things to get done, that would still be less time and a much faster pace than the current rate of no development whatsoever.
    • Kuron wrote:

If Cory thinks that what people want is "Hex 2" . . . there's really no hope left. Nobody wants a second hex, at least not with the first one still in an obviously incomplete state. People want the first Hex to be finished. Even just raising the level cap again would probably bring a lot of players back for a little bit. Getting a straightforward report on the state of AZ3 when all we really got were lots of hints and rumors would at least show good faith, even if the report simply says that "for _____ reason, there's really no chance of it being released". Really, who do they think is going to give them money to start over with a new version when they can't even finish the features already in the current version? To attract backers, they have to be able to show there is enough interest in the game to turn a future profit with the money the backers give them, which means they need an active population in the game and some form of actual, ongoing development.
      There's a very simple reason why they'd look at a HEX 2 instead of more work on HEX 1: Money. Namely, the lack of it. HEX 1 has basically no community left now, which means any effort put in to it is wasted. I expect a good chunk will likely never support them on a second game either, given how long the community was neglected, but there's at least a hope of getting a "second wind" so to speak with a brand new released game.
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

Kuron wrote:

If Cory thinks that what people want is "Hex 2" . . . there's really no hope left. Nobody wants a second hex, at least not with the first one still in an obviously incomplete state. People want the first Hex to be finished. Even just raising the level cap again would probably bring a lot of players back for a little bit. Getting a straightforward report on the state of AZ3 when all we really got were lots of hints and rumors would at least show good faith, even if the report simply says that "for _____ reason, there's really no chance of it being released". Really, who do they think is going to give them money to start over with a new version when they can't even finish the features already in the current version? To attract backers, they have to be able to show there is enough interest in the game to turn a future profit with the money the backers give them, which means they need an active population in the game and some form of actual, ongoing development.
      There's a very simple reason why they'd look at a HEX 2 instead of more work on HEX 1: Money. Namely, the lack of it. HEX 1 has basically no community left now, which means any effort put in to it is wasted. I expect a good chunk will likely never support them on a second game either, given how long the community was neglected, but there's at least a hope of getting a "second wind" so to speak with a brand new released game.
      Don't care too much about the social aspect of the business, agree it wasn't enough - and I do miss the community, but I'd play Hex 2 if it was half as good as what we have now it'd still be the best TCG for PC. If there's more stuff to do, things I want to play with, and people to play against (or a robust AI) I'm going to be there and they're going to get my money haha. Still play the frost ring arena and siege from time to time even with everything being just what it is and not getting updates, but there's not enough interaction and streams for me to make it my main thing right now. Not really playing other card games because my standards are too high, rather wait to see what happens before I give up on Hex.
    • Artifaction wrote:

SaintVicarious wrote:

Kuron wrote:

Don't care too much about the social aspect of the business, agree it wasn't enough - and I do miss the community, but I'd play Hex 2 if it was half as good as what we have now it'd still be the best TCG for PC. If there's more stuff to do, things I want to play with, and people to play against (or a robust AI) I'm going to be there and they're going to get my money haha. Still play the frost ring arena and siege from time to time even with everything being just what it is and not getting updates, but there's not enough interaction and streams for me to make it my main thing right now. Not really playing other card games because my standards are too high, rather wait to see what happens before I give up on Hex.
      I'm not sure if I would support them financially a second time round unless there was a pretty trustworthy publisher attached to it (CD Projekt, THQ Nordic, SEGA, etc). I love HEX, and I think its singleplayer, as limited as it is, remains one of the more fun singleplayer experiences available for card games. But without a publisher I'd be constantly thinking "What happens to the money I put in to this once HexEnt abandons this game as well?"
    • Yeah, multiplayer PvE, guilds, EDH, major features were left abandoned that were vital to HEX ever taking off. If they couldn't even get those things working, I don't have any particular faith in a HEX 2 faring any better. And the thing is, if they'd come out and said, "Hey, we need $$$ to pay a team to get these features going," I and I assume a fair number of other customers would've been fine ponying up more funding to help it happen. But now that they've left the game basically abandoned for years, I doubt there's enough people left to provide the cash.
    • They never even finished delivering on their original Kickstarter promises, let alone continuing development past them. Hell, there's an entire tier of backers that never saw their tier promises fulfilled (guildmaster). There's no way they'll ever get the kind of backer support I originally gave from me ever again.