Requesting A Response - Please & Thank You, Cory

• Requesting A Response - Please & Thank You, Cory

Heya Cory!
      I've been playing Hex for quite some time now, and even though the game has been through some rough patches - I still want to thank you and anyone left on the dev team for creating an excellent card game that most players should be able to tell came straight from some passionate hearts and minds.

With the request that I will provide down below this brief paragraph, I'm really hoping that you find time to read it and hopefully respond to it sooner than later. All due respect implied, it seems that the dev team at HXE had some difficulty in the past responding to players feedback and suggestions concerning certain aspects of the game that could've used a bit more attention. Of course, I understand that the dev team can't respond to everything in the fashion in which we players may desire...so there's that. Anyways, I would really appreciate an earnest response to my request/feedback below.

The Auction House can function as a great subsidiary game to the overall experience of playing Hex, but with the tumultuous times over the last year or so, there seems to be VERY few people listing reasonable prices on cards...or just much variety of interesting cards listed at all. I'm sure that I'm not alone in the feeling of REALLY missing the bartering, negotiating, and exciting trading that the Auction House used to provide. Would you be able to speak with us players concerning modifications and adjustments that may deem the Auction House viable once again, please and thank you? Also, would you be willing to bounce ideas around with any players that might have some interesting suggestions about the AH?

Here's *fingers-crossed* that you'll engage with this thread a bit. Hope you're doing well, Cory!! Thanks for your time.
    • Hello!
      I would like nothing more than to have the AH feel fun again, sadly I think that is really a byproduct of the number of people playing the game, much like a chat room with no one in it...

if you have a suggestion I am happy to consider it!
      my only idea is we have someone on the team put up cool stuff a once a day at a low price so you can bargain hunt them...
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

my only idea is we have someone on the team put up cool stuff a once a day at a low price so you can bargain hunt them...
      Please do not further inflate the market with artificially cheap cards.

This is a collectible card game, maintaining value of ones collection is important. This game being in a bad spot right now does not mean you should go back on that.

Besides I read you want to export card collections into Hex 2. Everything you fuck up now will carry over to a fresh start.

I may however have another option to revitalize the card market: Increase listing times for fixed price (not auction) from 48h to 30 days. This way people can set up bigger sales without having to redo them every two days. At least that would encourage me to set up new sales.
    • Pofflord wrote:

Please do not further inflate the market with artificially cheap cards.

This is a collectible card game, maintaining value of ones collection is important. This game being in a bad spot right now does not mean you should go back on that.
      How much is your collection worth right now, honestly? If no one is able to play the game, your cards are worth zero dollars.
    • Yeah its pretty bad, but that doesnt mean we should make it worse, because... well why the heck not?

There are other ways reviving aspects of the game without destroying more in the process. Thats espacially important, because Cory already said collections will carry over into Hex 2.
    • Well okay granted, it will serve a purpose, but also at a very bad expanse for the future which I explained. And you can argue the point, but in my opinion thats not worth it.

Besides I gave an alternative suggestion, that will work a lot better and involve players, it might even encourage some to come back, if at least to check their AH once in a while. Some might even stay to play a few games.
    • I probably would start selling cards if I didn't have to relist everything every two days.

The problem with this suggestion is the auction part of it. Bidding on a card and waiting for two days is fine, waiting for a whole month might be a lot less interesting. There could be a system where if the bidding reaches a certain threshold, seller-fixed or maybe even the buyout price if one is set, then a 48h timer starts, at the end of which the highest bidder would get the card, much like it works now.

I personally don't have the patience to bid on cards I want so I always buy them directly (probably not a sound practice but that's how it is), and if the fraction of people actually bidding isn't significant, then this problem won't even be one.
    • It might be interesting to significantly increase the maximum amount of time items could be listed for. While I have generally seen this as a bad solution without fully implementing bid/ask, since it would lead to the auction house being flooded, it could help a relatively small number of people breathe some life into the auction house by listing large numbers of items at reasonable pricesfor a long period. And unless the number of listers suddenly increases by a lot, it shouldn't flood things too much. Obviously people would have to use buy out rather than wait for the auctions to end.
    • I have no idea of the logistics of this but...

How about a part of the auction house where people posted what they wanted and what they would be willing to pay for certain cards. I would definitely log in to see what I might be able to sell. I all the time that I played I posted what I thought was a good amount on the AH. I rarely sold anything even when I undercut just to see if anything would sell.

Here's to hoping for a more active future...
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Hello!
      I would like nothing more than to have the AH feel fun again, sadly I think that is really a byproduct of the number of people playing the game, much like a chat room with no one in it...

Please do it. Fill the market with cheap cards and booster packs. I'm not being ironic. This should have been done from the beginning, Hex always had a small market and it should be fairly easy to regulate.

Our cards have no real value. I see no reason to just basically throw them away to the users so they can enjoy the game.

In this train, I would suggest:

• A constant provision of cards in the AH. Maybe a bot or two would do the trick?
      • A one-time only, non-tradeable code for every player (old or new) with 5 evos and 5 drafts. Something like "want to return to the game? or you're new? Here, have some fun with this".
      • Change the VIP to a $5 per month subscription which includes something like 10x drafts, 10x evos, 10x tickets for tournaments, and 10x boosters per month. A lot of value? Well, yes, that's the idea. And, I don't know, three sleeves instead of one and a exclusive battleboard. Make it worth.
      • This might be difficult to implement in the current state. But totally async draft is the way to go. No more waiting for 8 people, just start to draft right away. Don't need a fancy AI to do this, just make it pick the rare in the first 3 rounds and then some value cards based on color-scheme or something like this. At this state, even just picking random cards would do the trick, you can refine the AI later if this game survive. Then you can throw the commons and uncommons on the AH if they're actually generated.
      • Make it easy to climb to cosmic in constructed, just don't make players lose stars when they lose and that's all. A lot of the feel-bad moments of constructed ladder are due to this.

Make it easier and fun for players to play the game and make them know (newsletter, a good use of twitter and social networks, etc) so they can rejoin the game at least one last time.

Oh, and this one is for me: 0/2 queues for all the merry melees modes! I was trying to play R.O.I.D.s with my GF this weekend and we had to concede when other people joined the queue. And ROIDS isnt even the best mode. :)
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Utremeld wrote:

Pofflord wrote:

I may however have another option to revitalize the card market: Increase listing times for fixed price (not auction) from 48h to 30 days.
      I see we're back to the phase where easy solutions that were already proposed years ago and ignored are re-proposed and then in 3-6 months re-ignored for no discernible reason.
      Pretty much yes, but better later than never.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

Utremeld wrote:

Pofflord wrote:

I may however have another option to revitalize the card market: Increase listing times for fixed price (not auction) from 48h to 30 days.
      I see we're back to the phase where easy solutions that were already proposed years ago and ignored are re-proposed and then in 3-6 months re-ignored for no discernible reason.
      Pretty much yes, but better later than never.
      We could get both, we are currently getting both. It is both late and also never.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

I agree with plotunus, the ah should be filled with cheap cards. Card value is now next to zero in real term dollars and the important thing now is to get cards so it can be exported when Hex 2 comes out (please God).
      And you actually don't see any problem there? Flooding the AH with cheap cards now and at the same time exporting a then totally broken economy into Hex 2?

Please please please, Cory, dont listen to this insanity. Protect collection values (small as they may be now, because of the circumstances of last year) and build up with reasonable changes.
      If you destroy collection values entirely this will permanently kill your relation with lots of loyal customers from the past and it will set up Hex 2 for failure at the same time.
    • HEXCoryJones wrote:

Hello!

How much work would it take to allow endless auction times? I have a massive collection i would be happy to putt upp for competitive prices if i didn't have to ever do it again. What stops me is the fact i would have to spend hours every 2 days for nominal sales and that feels like terribly wasted time. I have been happily selling specific cards in trade people need because its low effort for me. But that makes it medium effort for the people in trade chat looking instead.

The main issue is truly not lack of cards but lack of people selling so infinite timers would definitely help there.

I truly have no idea the effort this would take so its a suggestion based on it being a "easy" fix and obviously endless timers might be too much but how about month long at least.