Friday Update - Difficult Dreams

• Going forward, this is my advice: PVE and PVP should only be separated by gameplay, and not card base. All cards should be usable in all areas.

PVE should be a place where players can play campaign or other modes to earn cards that can also be used in PVP. Similarly, PVP should be a place to compete with other players to earn cards that can also be used in PVE. PVE and PVP should supplement each other, and not be divided by a wall.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

They also finally conceded that the focus on pve rather than pvp is the way to go
      It was a mistake to abandon PvE, for sure, but it will also be a mistake to go in the complete other extreme. PvE would not and could not replace PvP's revenue and appeal. They must find a balance. If previously it was PvP:PvE 85:15, a shift to 60:40 would do wonders. If I had to use a random example, they didn't have to release so many new PvP sets per year.
      If the monetization doesnt change you are right. The statement does not allude to 60:40 pvp:pve, it seems to allude to a focus on pve first and then going into pvp if it all works out. Honestly pve needs to be fleshed out and properly monetized if the game want to make money in the current card game market.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Going forward, this is my advice: PVE and PVP should only be separated by gameplay, and not card base. All cards should be usable in all areas.

PVE should be a place where players can play campaign or other modes to earn cards that can also be used in PVP. Similarly, PVP should be a place to compete with other players to earn cards that can also be used in PVE. PVE and PVP should supplement each other, and not be divided by a wall.
      They said they'll give you cards in 'revival' based off your current collection so me with like 200 PVE cards will be annoyed...
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • This is welcome news on so many different levels. First of all I have to give you kudos for taking responsibility for the short comings of HEX and disengaging from the community. Mentioning PVE and saying that it will be a focus is one of those "THERE IS A LOVING GOD!" moments, however I must put a huge caveat on this.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm going to be perfectly blunt (boy what a surprise there right?) when I say I have zero trust in Hex Entertainment right now and I'm not alone. However that doesn't mean I'm not willing to eat my words here. If you come out swinging and deliver on this letter, I will eat my bowl of crow with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. I want this game to succeed despite what I've been saying the last year. Maybe I could have been less caustic and for that I myself apologize but I don't think my anger was misplaced. However again, if this game turns it around then I will let Corey personally smash a humble pie into my face.

Please prove me wrong guys, because I've never wanted to be wrong so badly in my life.
      Holds Guinness book of world records title for most posts deleted from a dying game's forum.
    • DraXor wrote:

Veterans are regrouping? :)

Is hex 2 really must have? Why not continue current version?
      I think 2.0 is necessary just for marketing purposes to get back enough players.

If you look at HOTS (Heroes of the Storm), when they released HOTS 2.0, there was a massive surge in players again, although while it was rather temporary as people soon figured out nothing changed and quit soon after - the important thing was that people gave the game a chance again.

As long as the game is good, there will be people who stick with it, and that's what is really needed imo for a more long term sustainability, just a few dozen veterans here and there returning isn't going to be enough.
    • Yeah, that's fair regarding No Man's Sky - though I just don't see too much downsides in rebranding a game as 2.0 personally, another example would be FF14, the first iteration was a disaster, but when they released A Realm Reborn (essentially 2.0), it was a massive success.

Though admittedly, of course both Blizzard and Square Enix has a much bigger budget and fan base/hype than what Hex possesses.
    • Vroengard wrote:

No Man's Sky didn't launch a 2.0 version and, while it never became they hyped wonder people thought it would be, it is now actually VERY successful. They added a bunch of stuff in their initial release, after working for 1 or 2 years, if I recall.
      Weird comparison. No Man's Sky had more hype than the Segway and people WANTED it to be successful. They watched and waited for it to unbunch it's pack of launch lies.

This is just another CCG. It happens to be my favorite one, but uh, No Man's Sky it ain't.
    • schild wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

No Man's Sky didn't launch a 2.0 version and, while it never became they hyped wonder people thought it would be, it is now actually VERY successful. They added a bunch of stuff in their initial release, after working for 1 or 2 years, if I recall.
      Weird comparison. No Man's Sky had more hype than the Segway and people WANTED it to be successful. They watched and waited for it to unbunch it's pack of launch lies.
      This is just another CCG. It happens to be my favorite one, but uh, No Man's Sky it ain't.
      I always found you to be incredibly vindictive against hex tbh even before it totally messed up
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • OzawaWanderer wrote:

schild wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Weird comparison. No Man's Sky had more hype than the Segway and people WANTED it to be successful. They watched and waited for it to unbunch it's pack of launch lies.This is just another CCG. It happens to be my favorite one, but uh, No Man's Sky it ain't.
      I always found you to be incredibly vindictive against hex tbh even before it totally messed up
      That's because you're very, very, extremely bad at words.

There's nothing vindictive about my attitude towards Hex. I dumped money into it even after it fell off post-Herofall. I logged I don't even know how many hours. I played on both Steam and the standalone client. It is my most-played steam game by an order of 10, at least.

I gave props when they were warranted (rarely). I was transparently honest about its failures (often).

Don't confuse caring with hatred. I cared. I also care that Cory wrote that whole letter and had zero follow-through in this thread. That stuff matters.
    • Anyone hoping for followup about hex 2.0 anytime soon should really decrease their expectations. I hope I am wrong but if there is a true hex 2.0 with a different monetization method, than I dont think we will be hearing anything for another 14 months.

Dont get me wrong I will reinstall and play a few games again.
    • It's simple enough for me. If they release new PvE content, I'll reinstall and play it. I'd have spent money on consistent PvE releases. I even bought in to PvP content for drafting and such, but I was a more enthusiastic spender for the PvE side of things. I'd happily buy expansion zones or LCG packs or booster packs or whatever. I just want that original PvE vision. Ball's in their court as far as I'm concerned.

It is nice though that so many people are still keeping eyes on this game.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

It's simple enough for me. If they release new PvE content, I'll reinstall and play it. I'd have spent money on consistent PvE releases. I even bought in to PvP content for drafting and such, but I was a more enthusiastic spender for the PvE side of things. I'd happily buy expansion zones or LCG packs or booster packs or whatever. I just want that original PvE vision. Ball's in their court as far as I'm concerned.

It is nice though that so many people are still keeping eyes on this game.
      [Blocked Image: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/159253222656180224/625174574509850654/unknown.png]

Speaking of pve...
    • Well finally some good news. Really hope they get hex 2 fired.

What i am wondering is will buying boosters in HEX have any effect on Hex 2?
      Also kickstarter bonusses will be given so that means everyone who lost it will have it?
      Didnt lost mine but i know some people lost there account with the switch from gameforge
    • OzawaWanderer wrote:

Erukk wrote:

DraXor wrote:

if this is a case, that code is 'terrible' to keep it, ok i understand, but in same moment this mean they have to build core of a game from 0 probably, which means they need to spend a lot of time and spend a lot of cash on a dream/game untill it gets some cash from player, which also can kill a project
      i dont want to be negative, i really would like to see this pve oriented game, but building it from 0 means a lot of problems also
      No fault in being negative at least on this subject, because this whole scenario is definitely a damned if you do/damned if you don't one. Hence, how Hex got into the position it's in in the first place.The base code is probably what killed off a lot of the pve aspects of the game, because it's difficult to add on stuff that it wasn't built to support without a ton of work involved. Though, like you said, starting from scratch poses it's own, very large, problems as well. The only thing i can really say on that is that Hex 2.0 at least has the possibility of existing in the future, even if it's a small chance, but Hex as of now is still very much dead and going to remain as such.

I really don't blame Cory at all for moving on to focusing on (at least the possibility of) Hex 2 if, big big big if, there is a chance to revive the franchise. Because... well... Hex is an all around failure on multiple fronts. Whether it be the coding, the advertising, the lawsuit, all the broken pve promises, or the failure to pay tournament winners and artists, Hex's reputations has long since been dead and buried, and general reputation is kinda key to a game's survival. Even if they somehow magically get everything to start working again, added all the pve stuff everyone wanted, and had scheduled set releases for the next 10 years already done made and paid for, the game would still be largely dead. People would look at all the old reviews, all the scandals, and all the angry posts, and they would just walk away. Sad to say, even if the actual gameplay and mechanics are still much superior to MTGA's, that the stain on Hex is kinda insurmountable at this point.
      Translation: Nothing Hex can possibly do is feasible to bring it back.
      Negative much..?
      More like "realistic much".

I am sorry. People shouldn't get their hopes up. Never say never but the chances are extremely slim.

Most realistic way I see is to try to distance from the franchise completely. You can keep a lot of the art assests and mechanics and so on but the name has probably too much baggage at this point. One way or another you would need a ton of money and I am not sure where that would come from. From what I gather from the letter there will be no development on the existing game for at least a year. Do you think that in a year the game will have more or less players than now ?

While I have sympathy with Cory he and us forum posters here also need to adapt to reality at some point.

Last but not least...I appreciate the letter (albeit it could have been written basically a year ago) but one line really bothers me and makes me wonder wether Cory really actually recognizes any mistakes. That line is: "we made the best decisions we could with the information we had". Just no.

That all being said I dont regret my time spent with hex one bit. It was and still is an amazing game. Everything just comes to an end at some point and then you need to move on.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• OzawaWanderer wrote:

I fully understand your resentment but if you really like Hex best try to be constructive and see if it can work out. I feel your WAY too grouchy.
      Maybe...
      It is just that I read all you guys writing about Hex 2 and it is starting to bother me a bit.
      Constructive for some of the people here would maybe be to not get their hopes up.

Constructive for the game?! Well...honestly...we might be past that point.
    • Cory is like the ex that didn't have the courage to actually break up with you so he just ghosted you. Now he comes back after over a year talking about how he was in a dark place at the time but he's learned lessons from the whole experience, and this time it's going to be different. I'd like to believe him as much as the next person put people who are already speculating about what Hex 2 might or should end up being are naively optimistic.

I know Cory is a good guy and his heart was fully into making Hex the best it could be. That said, unless he announces having some investors lined up, a solid dev team, a community manager who is actually allowed to interact with the community in a meaningful capacity, a road map for the game complete with a business model that has a chance to actually be profitable, and someone at the top who is capable of running a business even when things aren't going well, I'm not going to get excited about the hint of something new in the future.
    • Metronomy wrote:

OzawaWanderer wrote:

I fully understand your resentment but if you really like Hex best try to be constructive and see if it can work out. I feel your WAY too grouchy.
      Maybe...It is just that I read all you guys writing about Hex 2 and it is starting to bother me a bit.
      Constructive for some of the people here would maybe be to not get their hopes up.

Constructive for the game?! Well...honestly...we might be past that point.
      Having reservations is understandable, getting irritated by the news Hex wants to revive I guess is understandable what with no communication forever. But honestly to say your proud of playing hex when it was active and then say screw you when it's trying to fix itself isn't helping! If your so passionately irritated by Hex daring to try and come back then why bother posting at all? Just say screw it and leave. In my honest opinion seeing people post about how much Hex screwed up and there's no way in hell anything will come of them trying to revive is exactly the goddamn reason it won't. If you want to be bitchy about spending a ton of money on a game that died I can 100% fully understand that sentiment. No questions asked it's a sensible reaction after everything. But in my opinion if anyone like you is offended by Hex trying to come back just quit and move on? I'm sure most of us vets from the old days only started posting due to the letter Friday. But if your going to go mechape and rant about how it's 100% doomed to fail your not helping. Get mad at Hex for making you waste so much money, get mad at hex ripping your heart out with all this stuff you enjoyed but then it died, get super irritated at backing it and it failing. But That KS was like 8 friggen years ago you should've probably been able to recuperate any major purchases you've made from that KS by now if not I can't imagine many people putting themselves in financial ruin to back a KS... Period The END Hex failed and we're all either mostly saddened by it or irritated but this letter (at time of posting) the other day on Friday is actually some hopeful and I personally am willing to support Hex in any way I can in hopes they can pick themselves up.

TLDR: Either move on and forget Hex or try to constructively critique where they went wrong and try and help them come back. To me your post I replied with "Negative much..?" is the equivalent of a bad break up. Seriously shut up forget Hex and move on if your THAT spiteful.