Friday Update - Difficult Dreams

    • I am glad you've reached out Cory. I must admit...i heavily, heavily fell out of love with this game due to the PVP focus. After seeing what was promised for PVE and never really seeing it come to full fruition, i felt let down. I also felt let down both by the sound effects, visual effects and graphics offered by the game, the constant ambient sound issues, and the lack of atmosphere. When compared even to games like "Eternal" or "Kards" or I suppose, "Elder Scrolls: Legends" and ofc "Hearthstone", seeing all those wonderful visual effects, hearing the awesome sounds of big hulking units thwack the side of the board and shake it all about just feel so much more engaging compared too...sparkly...lines? Lol. I digress, i lost all hope for Hex.

      If Hex 2, or whatever, does happen...I really really hope PVE becomes the sole focus, or, as at LEAST equally worked on, with PVP being entirely separate to work on. I really hope to see improved visuals, sounds, atmosphere, content in story, game types and more to really make each card type, colour, and item feel as if it has real "presence" on the game board.

      Good luck to future, i'll keep supporting from sidelines though, in hope we can all get this true experience going forward.
    • DraXor wrote:

      Veterans are regrouping? :)

      Is hex 2 really must have? Why not continue current version?
      I heard someone say in game that the coding sucks so making new servers and coding will help. Shrugs I donno but long as they keep the magic inspired mechanics... I mean can they they did lose that lawsuit so if this revival (I hope) works out and gets some popularity wouldn't Wizard get mad again...?
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Wow, look at all the familiar faces :D Very glad the game's not abandoned and that there'll eventually be a renewed focus on pve and we're not losing all of our stuff. Spent a couple hours yesterday puttering around in the campaign, looking at an actually active chat. Feels good man, feels good. ^^
    • Cory, I'm also glad we finally have an update that shows us the way forward. Hands down, Hex is still the best card game in existence for me and for many other people. Let us all help in building a better future for Hex, its potential is still off the charts.
    • IMO one of the biggest reasons hex "died" was the business model.
      Especially in the current climate of lootboxes being evil.
      [Cardpacks ARE lootboxes]

      I honestly hope that they ditch the idea of Card Collections. Just throw it out the window. Then drop a piano on it.
      Main thing that is holding Hex back are the "lootboxes" and buying single cards from the AH. It made the whole thing way too expensive for casuals.
      That's why I couldn't get my brothers in. That's why I couldn't get my friends in. That's also why I left.
      Spending money on Hex felt bad.

      I only got into MTG because of "Planeswalkers 2012" or something like that.
      It was 20$, you got a bunch of fixed decks, and you fight people online.
      That is an amazing deal, and probably brought a lot of people into MTG.

      No one important is gonna read this, but I'm hoping for more of an LCG business model.
      Hell, the sets they put out don't even have to be that big.
      I'd throw 5-10 bucks at a "Darkspire pack" with a full set of all the darkspire orcs, some thematic actions/shards, and maybe a sleeve.
      Mini-sets like that are also faster and easier to put together then the massive 200+ card mega sets.

      That said it'd still be a good idea to make 200+ card drafting pools/sets. I'd throw 30 dollars at something like that.
      Which is 30 more dollars than what most people throw at lootboxes, or single cards on the AH.

      Then you make drafting free, BUT you have to buy the current drafting set.
      *BOOM* Drafts now fire more often, you get a pseudo-subscription fee every 3-6 months, and its really good value for the playerbase. Everybody wins!
      [now that i'm writing it down, kinda sounds a bit like a battle pass... with the added bonus of keeping the set for constructed stuff in the future.]

      Then if you still need more sources of income you can charge a premium for the AA's, Extended Art, Card Backs, Card boards, and all that deco stuff.
      And because there is so much of that stuff, it could also become the new prize pools rewards.

      Oh and yeah, still have it be free to start, but earning cards for free probably shouldn't be a thing.
      You guys are WAY too nice with that.
    • DraXor wrote:

      Veterans are regrouping? :)

      Is hex 2 really must have? Why not continue current version?
      As others have said, a lot of it has to deal with the code the whole game is built on, and a good metaphor would probably be building a castle on sand. You could make it work for awhile, but once you start adding more and more additions onto it the whole thing could shift and sink and everything starts coming apart. At a certain point it's just better in the long run to start anew on a proper foundation.

      OzawaWanderer wrote:

      What are the logistics anyway of this 'rebranding' for lack of a better word?
      From what it sounds like, they might try to go the FF14 route and "Realm Reborn" this entire thing. It even works in the setting too since they just added the Enders before everything went to crap. They can just write off the original game by saying the Enders killed nearly everyone before a desperate alliance between the remaining Ardent and Underworld forces were able to take them out.

      New game, new status quo lore-wise, and the can pick and choose what elements worked best and bring those over to the new game while leaving the unpopular ones behind.
    • OzawaWanderer wrote:

      Er that model doesn't fun... Turning this basically into a subscription based mmo...
      Only if you wanna draft. IIRC you're more into PVE and dont care for PVP.
      With the proposed model you could buy the Coyotle packs/expansions.

      You'd pick up the "core" set for good card value, with the added bonus of being able to draft.
      In practical terms its not that much different from their plan of new set every 6 months.

      Other than you can't just sell off your old stuff for the new stuff without spending money.
    • Erukk wrote:

      DraXor wrote:

      Veterans are regrouping? :)

      Is hex 2 really must have? Why not continue current version?
      As others have said, a lot of it has to deal with the code the whole game is built on, and a good metaphor would probably be building a castle on sand. You could make it work for awhile, but once you start adding more and more additions onto it the whole thing could shift and sink and everything starts coming apart. At a certain point it's just better in the long run to start anew on a proper foundation.

      OzawaWanderer wrote:

      What are the logistics anyway of this 'rebranding' for lack of a better word?
      From what it sounds like, they might try to go the FF14 route and "Realm Reborn" this entire thing. It even works in the setting too since they just added the Enders before everything went to crap. They can just write off the original game by saying the Enders killed nearly everyone before a desperate alliance between the remaining Ardent and Underworld forces were able to take them out.
      New game, new status quo lore-wise, and the can pick and choose what elements worked best and bring those over to the new game while leaving the unpopular ones behind.
      A lot of mechanics were pretty cool though dreadlings and valor kinda got out of hand
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Erukk wrote:

      DraXor wrote:

      Veterans are regrouping? :)

      Is hex 2 really must have? Why not continue current version?
      As others have said, a lot of it has to deal with the code the whole game is built on, and a good metaphor would probably be building a castle on sand. You could make it work for awhile, but once you start adding more and more additions onto it the whole thing could shift and sink and everything starts coming apart. At a certain point it's just better in the long run to start anew on a proper foundation.
      if this is a case, that code is 'terrible' to keep it, ok i understand, but in same moment this mean they have to build core of a game from 0 probably, which means they need to spend a lot of time and spend a lot of cash on a dream/game untill it gets some cash from player, which also can kill a project

      i dont want to be negative, i really would like to see this pve oriented game, but building it from 0 means a lot of problems also
    • DraXor wrote:

      if this is a case, that code is 'terrible' to keep it, ok i understand, but in same moment this mean they have to build core of a game from 0 probably, which means they need to spend a lot of time and spend a lot of cash on a dream/game untill it gets some cash from player, which also can kill a project
      i dont want to be negative, i really would like to see this pve oriented game, but building it from 0 means a lot of problems also
      No fault in being negative at least on this subject, because this whole scenario is definitely a damned if you do/damned if you don't one. Hence, how Hex got into the position it's in in the first place.

      The base code is probably what killed off a lot of the pve aspects of the game, because it's difficult to add on stuff that it wasn't built to support without a ton of work involved. Though, like you said, starting from scratch poses it's own, very large, problems as well. The only thing i can really say on that is that Hex 2.0 at least has the possibility of existing in the future, even if it's a small chance, but Hex as of now is still very much dead and going to remain as such.

      I really don't blame Cory at all for moving on to focusing on (at least the possibility of) Hex 2 if, big big big if, there is a chance to revive the franchise. Because... well... Hex is an all around failure on multiple fronts. Whether it be the coding, the advertising, the lawsuit, all the broken pve promises, or the failure to pay tournament winners and artists, Hex's reputations has long since been dead and buried, and general reputation is kinda key to a game's survival. Even if they somehow magically get everything to start working again, added all the pve stuff everyone wanted, and had scheduled set releases for the next 10 years already done made and paid for, the game would still be largely dead. People would look at all the old reviews, all the scandals, and all the angry posts, and they would just walk away. Sad to say, even if the actual gameplay and mechanics are still much superior to MTGA's, that the stain on Hex is kinda insurmountable at this point.
    • Erukk wrote:

      DraXor wrote:

      if this is a case, that code is 'terrible' to keep it, ok i understand, but in same moment this mean they have to build core of a game from 0 probably, which means they need to spend a lot of time and spend a lot of cash on a dream/game untill it gets some cash from player, which also can kill a project
      i dont want to be negative, i really would like to see this pve oriented game, but building it from 0 means a lot of problems also
      No fault in being negative at least on this subject, because this whole scenario is definitely a damned if you do/damned if you don't one. Hence, how Hex got into the position it's in in the first place.
      The base code is probably what killed off a lot of the pve aspects of the game, because it's difficult to add on stuff that it wasn't built to support without a ton of work involved. Though, like you said, starting from scratch poses it's own, very large, problems as well. The only thing i can really say on that is that Hex 2.0 at least has the possibility of existing in the future, even if it's a small chance, but Hex as of now is still very much dead and going to remain as such.

      I really don't blame Cory at all for moving on to focusing on (at least the possibility of) Hex 2 if, big big big if, there is a chance to revive the franchise. Because... well... Hex is an all around failure on multiple fronts. Whether it be the coding, the advertising, the lawsuit, all the broken pve promises, or the failure to pay tournament winners and artists, Hex's reputations has long since been dead and buried, and general reputation is kinda key to a game's survival. Even if they somehow magically get everything to start working again, added all the pve stuff everyone wanted, and had scheduled set releases for the next 10 years already done made and paid for, the game would still be largely dead. People would look at all the old reviews, all the scandals, and all the angry posts, and they would just walk away. Sad to say, even if the actual gameplay and mechanics are still much superior to MTGA's, that the stain on Hex is kinda insurmountable at this point.
      Translation: Nothing Hex can possibly do is feasible to bring it back.

      Negative much..?
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Thanks for the update Cory, glad that you have found renewed strength to keep fighting. The fact that there's still many here that have positive memories of the game and can look forward in a hopeful manner is a reminder that you guys did plenty right. I was just reminiscing the other day how amazing the whole champion/socket system were along with the whole digital-only mechanics - has made it tough for me now to go back to something dated like MTG. But even more than that, my recent revisit of Wow Classic has reminded me of the gap in the space of a proper TCG RPG/MMO and things like equipments, talent trees, mercs, loot you can buy/sell in the AH were all great foundations I felt towards that lofty dream.

      I am looking forward to hearing what vision you have for the game going forward - taking all the cool things in the game and trying to find a new focused direction is no easy task, and I'm sure the changes and prioritizations are not going to please everyone as different people have different preferences (PvEers vs PvPers, CCGers vs TCGers, Casual Multiplayer PvPers vs Competitive 1v1 PvPers, Limited vs Constructed, FRA vs Campaign, Player Generated Content vs Designer Made etc).

      For old times' sake, I'll regurgitate some of my old points to address the problems the game faced:

      -tablet mode for access to a huge new monetizable market
      -soft reboot replaying the set 1->10 constructed and limited environments (perhaps with small changes/surprises) to gain time whilst new direction is worked on and introduce PS4/tablet players to the old content
      -hybrid CCG/TCG model where new player acquisition and retainment is assisted with predictable/clear/consistent and generous untradeable card rewards
      -whole PvE campaign reward system is beefed up with powerful cards (including PvP) which are untradeable to the point where you can more finely control and balance for an enjoyable standalone experience
      -player generated content sandbox for PvE through slow dripped but constantly evolving new Keep customization vectors (and associated items in the shop for monetization)
      -use the player generated content to randomize a rogue lite endgame dungeon that feels fresh every run - can be the place where players earn from a huge diverse pool of rewards (including again untradeable PvP cards)
      -eventually get multiplayer modes in to not only enable co-op PvE but casual multiplayer PvP which is another huge untapped side of the dTCG market.

      Whichever direction you guys decide to take, hopefully now that the huge pressure/burden of the KS has largely been dumped, there will be room for more transparent communication with the community and that promised access to the 'sausage factory'.