Friday Update - Difficult Dreams

    • Draknos wrote:

      Conversely, I would actually argue (at least until they have something concrete to share) that radio silence might be the best course of action.
      That way, there are no promises to keep, no hype to struggle to satisfy, and no deadlines to fall short of. They can work on development undisturbed, for however long it takes, to release a product that they are happy with. Lack of updates won't cause drama if there aren't expected to be any updates at all, so internal setbacks won't become public and damaging. In the meantime, they have the income from their side projects to keep things stable.
      You do know how long Hex been silent right...???
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Obsidian wrote:

      Draknos wrote:

      OzawaWanderer wrote:

      I believe the best thing to be done is to give some form of communication that's consistent. There are a lot of us who are mildly intrigued by the notion of Hex coming back but we all have reservations in general. We can't really support a game the ceo promised to revive if all we get is "we're working on 2.0" if the team that's left and Cory actually decide to talk to us I think it'll help.
      Conversely, I would actually argue (at least until they have something concrete to share) that radio silence might be the best course of action.That way, there are no promises to keep, no hype to struggle to satisfy, and no deadlines to fall short of. They can work on development undisturbed, for however long it takes, to release a product that they are happy with. Lack of updates won't cause drama if there aren't expected to be any updates at all, so internal setbacks won't become public and damaging. In the meantime, they have the income from their side projects to keep things stable.
      While I understand your thought process, I don't think the internet would cooperate. We had a long period of intentional and very clearly broadcast radio silence, and people were still upset.Yeah, overhype would be bad, but as usual, expectations just have to be managed. CZE's never been great at that, though.
      To clarify, I am talking about remaining radio silent on "Hex2", a game that is currently a nebulous idea at best, that nobody here has invested any time or money in yet. Doing that wouldn't represent a change in communication tactics; it stays the course, with this single vague update being a rare instance of us learning anything before it is finished.

      The policy of radio silence in *this* Hex was, clearly, counterproductive. Going from a policy of open communication to no communication at a critical junction, combined with a lack of development in a game that people had already invested significant time and money in, was frustrating, so people had every right to be upset.

      I suppose one point of contention is whether people view "Hex2" as a spiritual successor to Hex, a reset of Hex with a stable foundation, a very late AZ3 update but otherwise the same Hex, or something else entirely. That assumption has a powerful influence on what else could be expected.
    • Draknos wrote:

      To clarify, I am talking about remaining radio silent on "Hex2", a game that is currently a nebulous idea at best, that nobody here has invested any time or money in yet. Doing that wouldn't represent a change in communication tactics; it stays the course, with this single vague update being a rare instance of us learning anything before it is finished.
      The policy of radio silence in *this* Hex was, clearly, counterproductive. Going from a policy of open communication to no communication at a critical junction, combined with a lack of development in a game that people had already invested significant time and money in, was frustrating, so people had every right to be upset.

      I suppose one point of contention is whether people view "Hex2" as a spiritual successor to Hex, a reset of Hex with a stable foundation, a very late AZ3 update but otherwise the same Hex, or something else entirely. That assumption has a powerful influence on what else could be expected.
      Those are some good points/questions.
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Draknos wrote:

      I suppose one point of contention is whether people view "Hex2" as a spiritual successor to Hex, a reset of Hex with a stable foundation, a very late AZ3 update but otherwise the same Hex, or something else entirely. That assumption has a powerful influence on what else could be expected.
      This is going to be the biggest question going forward. Are they going to relaunch the game as-is but with an optimized code base? Are they just going to release new content into the current game and call it a relaunch? Or are they going to launch a new game that is similar to Hex but not including all current content? Before we really go down any crazy suggestion rabbit-holes, we need to know what exactly Hex 2 means to Cory (and the dev team, if there still is one).
    • Rendakor wrote:

      This is going to be the biggest question going forward. Are they going to relaunch the game as-is but with an optimized code base? Are they just going to release new content into the current game and call it a relaunch? Or are they going to launch a new game that is similar to Hex but not including all current content? Before we really go down any crazy suggestion rabbit-holes, we need to know what exactly Hex 2 means to Cory (and the dev team, if there still is one).
      Hopefully they'll mention logistics of it in a few days
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Just played 2 portal kombat on the merry melee queue and had most fun on it than with all the MTGA games I've played since I left Hex. And found games within seconds. I still can't believe how this VERY LOW hanging fruit is still through a barrier (although now it's free at least!).

      Imagine what Hex would be with a Challenge room (so even PS4 players can play with their friends) when you can select a mode, a deck (if needed), and just provide a password if you want a private room. And you can simply look for games in the chat. I can't believe how Hex is missing that. Hopefully tomorrow however streams will answer me!

      But that's a lot of dreaming... back to reality.

      Man, this games has such a difference between the potential everyone sees, and how much I enjoy playing it, vs the current situation, that is kind of nerve wrecking.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Plotynus wrote:

      Just played 2 portal kombat on the merry melee queue and had most fun on it than with all the MTGA games I've played since I left Hex. And found games within seconds. I still can't believe how this VERY LOW hanging fruit is still through a barrier (although now it's free at least!).

      Imagine what Hex would be with a Challenge room (so even PS4 players can play with their friends) when you can select a mode, a deck (if needed), and just provide a password if you want a private room. And you can simply look for games in the chat. I can't believe how Hex is missing that. Hopefully tomorrow however streams will answer me!

      But that's a lot of dreaming... back to reality.

      Man, this games has such a difference between the potential everyone sees, and how much I enjoy playing it, vs the current situation, that is kind of nerve wrecking.
      Hopefully it works out frankly I hate HS and this game has a mana system better then magic...
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • We screwed up, our ceo was in a dark moment and we plan on coming back. Okay all fine points. But what needs to be done is for Hex Team to have a chatty liason who can talk to everyone in community about what's going on.
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • I said it elsewhere but to reiterate in TLDR format.

      The Pack, Blightbark Citadel, The Luminaries and The Merry Caravan are without a doubt official factions with over 3 sets worth of support. You can't give these guys like over 50+ unique cards over three sets and then kill em all with an End of The World set (Doombringers) that only the eight factions survive. Just... No. You guys added 4 factions to the lore and supported them for THREE friggen sets. Now you gotta keep em.
      Lore Hound: Self Proclaimed Expert to Hex Lore (and right 80% of time with theories)
    • Ok - i logged in, played few games, had so much fun - and got depressed immediately :D
      Amazing game, depth and simply fun and so many deckbuilding possibilities.
      On the other hand clunky, crashes, freezes, insane UIs, delays and matches sooooo long (waiting 5 mins for the oponent to confirm move is insane and after quick games in arena i want to pull the rest of my hair out....)

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Coyote ().

    • Coyote wrote:

      Ok - i logged in, played few games, had so much fun - and got depressed immediately :D
      Amazing game, depth and simply fun and so many deckbuilding possibilities.
      On the other hand clunky, crashes, freezes, insane UIs, delays and matches sooooo long (waiting 5 mins for the oponent to confirm move is insane and after quick games in arena i want to pull the rest of my hair out....)
      This. MTGA has a lot of negative issues. But the pace of the match is not one of them. This is done basically with two basic things: auto pass when there's nothing to do (you can disable this if you want, but by default it accelerates a lot) and a clever set of the default stop for phases. Would this be too hard to implement? PS4 players realistically are slower than PC ones. This way makes it at least a little faster for everyone.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Cernz wrote:

      Id love to see the next year with sort of a relaunch, set 1 to current set with a fixed set release schedule, id really play a ton if this would be a thing, hell I even would spend some cash.

      On the other hand, current state of the art for another year, would mean I will keep away from hex and just wait and see what happens.
      I honestly dont see any of this happening. I dont think we will see Hex 2.0 in 2020. When Hex 2.0 hits think fortnight with a focus on pve then pvp. The article also kind of hints that pvp will fundamentally change. We may not even have normal tcg set releases, it could be a ccg with cards doled out over time.
    • Aiyers wrote:

      1: You spoke about this concept of a "HEX 2". Why would you need for there to be a HEX 2? You have previously spoken about unimplemented content so why not work to bring that content to this game? There's nothing wrong with keeps, crafting, raids, clans, etc.
      When you have something fail, you need a formal relaunching to prove to people that there is enough change to justify a second chance.

      Look at FFXIV - the first one failed miserably, most people left. When they came back as 'A Realm Reborn' with a full change of the structure, a new name, and a new direction... it had a second chance.

      That's why they need a 'Hex 2' - otherwise they'll never get people back.

      Also... as some have said... the codebase is a bit of a mess.



      Also... that was a very good, very honest, and very substantial letter. It was good to read. Don't let it be the end of the talking, and maybe you'll rebuild something here.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • You can have the best game of the history. A perfect code to do whatever you want fast and efficient moving forward... but with no community and a distrust imprinted in the brand, you won't get far. That's why I'm asking/begging/suggesting/whatever that they focus in the short term in improving the current game, make it more enjoyable for people, and develop a realistic communication path to rebuild that link that now is broken.

      First you need people playing Hex, THEN you can start to think on Hex 2. Even if Hex 2 is built with the money of other games from HXE/Cryptozoic, how on earth will people know and play the game after a 3 or 4 (being realistic) years of hiatus? There's no coming back from that.

      The relaunch of Hex should be within the current game, not a new one which for now is just an idea on Cory's mind.
      Twitter: @Plotynus