Actually

• Metronomy wrote:

I wasnt aware HexEnt is actually doing another project. I assumed they were just finished altogether.

Maybe they can pay me the 250 bucks prize money then I am still to receive. Even if you count it all up the outstanding prize money is assumed the prize money is like 3k.
      If I was Cory I would make sure to find a way to pay my players. And then shut the game down. But shutting down and not paying the prizes would be an extra bad look.
      But maybe Cory just doesn't care anymore.
      I would assume the amount is more like 12k $ to pay out or something like that. So they haven't paid out prizes from March 16th (at least not to my friend) and so forth (I won it on 24 of March), and they cancelled bashes and clashes sometime in May, right? so that's almost 2 months of bashes and clashes + 2 CCs.
    • Metronomy wrote:

I wasnt aware HexEnt is actually doing another project. I assumed they were just finished altogether.

Maybe they can pay me the 250 bucks prize money then I am still to receive. Even if you count it all up the outstanding prize money is assumed the prize money is like 3k.
      If I was Cory I would make sure to find a way to pay my players. And then shut the game down. But shutting down and not paying the prizes would be an extra bad look.
      A bad look to us, not many other people care.
    • Gwaelan wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

On the other hand, Hex Ent has apparently gone to a different pasture. Welcome to Red & Blue, a Chinese-made blockchain TCG made by the joint venture of Hex Ent and NOAH.
      I‘m sorry, but would anybody please provide me with a translation?

I could, but the article's Q&A is more about business decision and what not than "what is R&B", so I find no point in translating it. What exactly are you looking for? Maybe I can just translate that part.
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

Google translation is reasonably readable. I still do not understand why to use blockchain though (other then as a buzzword).
      When I looked into another game that used it, the idea was that even if the game went belly up, you still had some value to sell in cryptocurrency.

Not sure how true that statement is, as I've never dipped into any of it (Even though I was aware of it when BTC was 60 USD, stupid stupid me) but it seems like a decent way to convince people to buy in even though it might not pan out.
    • Smradd wrote:

Metronomy wrote:

I would assume the amount is more like 12k $ to pay out or something like that. So they haven't paid out prizes from March 16th (at least not to my friend) and so forth (I won it on 24 of March), and they cancelled bashes and clashes sometime in May, right? so that's almost 2 months of bashes and clashes + 2 CCs.
      I won in the last one and that was april 28th. But you are right. I underestimated the number of outstanding prizes. Kind of makes me even more wonder why there arent more people asking for their money. Although..I know some chose to be paid in platinum....makes me wonder if that was the right call.
    • Blitzkind wrote:

GryphonGardens wrote:

Google translation is reasonably readable. I still do not understand why to use blockchain though (other then as a buzzword).
      When I looked into another game that used it, the idea was that even if the game went belly up, you still had some value to sell in cryptocurrency.
      Not sure how true that statement is, as I've never dipped into any of it (Even though I was aware of it when BTC was 60 USD, stupid stupid me) but it seems like a decent way to convince people to buy in even though it might not pan out.
      Well, that's one of the reasons. It gives the same kind of guarantee as regular, non digital, trading cards being printed on cardboard: you can trade them without involving the company that printed them. They do not "disappear" if the servers are stopped.

But let's think about it. If Hex had used an open, distributed blockchain to store all card transactions:
      • We wouldn't have the issue with Gameforge erasing the user collection (or rather authentication) data, since the collection information would have been mirrored (and the users would keep the keys used to sign their transactions on their computers).
      • Better liquidity, since the users would be able to do transactions outside of the client. We could for instance have bid/ask auctions implemented through a fan site, better real-money shops (less delays to get the cards, hassle free large order handling. etc.), bots selling and buying cards (I let you decide whether this is a good or bad thing).
      • A user-implemented rule enforcing engine could use the blockchain to handle user collections, if Hexent ever stops the servers.
      • A user-implemented rule enforcing engine could use a fork of the blockchain so as to have the ability to issue new cards if Hexext ever stops the servers.
    • Metronomy wrote:

I won in the last one and that was april 28th. But you are right. I underestimated the number of outstanding prizes. Kind of makes me even more wonder why there arent more people asking for their money. Although..I know some chose to be paid in platinum....makes me wonder if that was the right call.
      My take is they probably gave up on the possibility that they might ever get the money.

Xylo wrote:

Well, that's one of the reasons. It gives the same kind of guarantee as regular, non digital, trading cards being printed on cardboard: you can trade them without involving the company that printed them. They do not "disappear" if the servers are stopped.
      But let's think about it. If Hex had used an open, distributed blockchain to store all card transactions:
      • We wouldn't have the issue with Gameforge erasing the user collection (or rather authentication) data, since the collection information would have been mirrored (and the users would keep the keys used to sign their transactions on their computers).
      • Better liquidity, since the users would be able to do transactions outside of the client. We could for instance have bid/ask auctions implemented through a fan site, better real-money shops (less delays to get the cards, hassle free large order handling. etc.), bots selling and buying cards (I let you decide whether this is a good or bad thing).
      • A user-implemented rule enforcing engine could use the blockchain to handle user collections, if Hexent ever stops the servers.
      • A user-implemented rule enforcing engine could use a fork of the blockchain so as to have the ability to issue new cards if Hexext ever stops the servers.

It also attracts the "I play game for money" crowd, which seems to be plenty of people judging by the raise of blockchain games. Also, selling game accounts and the like are extremely common and legal in the China MMO gamer circle, so they probably think it's a good idea and would make the game more attractive to players(especially the TCG fans), I guess?!
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

For me the most exciting part of the technology as it relates to TCGs is having distributed game servers so that the game will always be playable as long as a few hardcore players are interested and possibly have a chance to keep growing similar to games where there is a healthy mod community. There's a TCG called Zombie Battleground that's already claiming to do that. This would grant your digital cards the same longevity that your physical cards get to enjoy. There would also need to be a well thought out governance system (which is another huge area that blockchain projects are looking into) so that the game doesn't spiral towards anarchistic collapse if/when the centralized company stops supporting the game. Ubisoft is working on a game called Hashcraft that embraces these ideals.

I believe it's all possible but we're probably a few years away from it happening. Some other cool stuff in the meantime is allowing global, fast, transparent trading of your cards with any other assets. Being able to trade your card collection in one game for some skins in another game or just a cryptocurrency of some type is something that just makes sense.

There is a company called Enjin which is working on a multiverse (ala Ready Player One) where items in one game can be used in other games - which allows for cool cross-promotional marketing possibilities and extending the value of the digital assets beyond just one game. Imagine some new TCG allowing you to use your Spectral Oaks in their game to spawn some cool card in that game...it would be a boost to both Hex (having their game validated and items appreciate in value) and for the new TCG that would attract new players to their game (high value players at that since they have spent money on these expensive cards in another TCG).

There's some other cool stuff happening, you can check Gods Unchained for example who're ahead of the pack in this field. It would be nice to see some Hex working with a blockchain company one day to revamp their backend to transition to such a system, but that's just wishful thinking..
    • Zampe wrote:

Hi Bootlace,

i don't remember if you callaborated with HEX or if you are only a community member that try to help other people :)

Have you got any news?
      For you is possible that the game will updated in the future?
      I'm just a community member so I don't know anything special. Last we heard Cory is working on some alternate ways for HxE to bring in money and the news mentioned above of the blockchain based game they're helping design is probably one of the avenues they're exploring. I think it was Pandemica on a Hex stream a while back said that he heard there were still some people working on a few updates that people could be pleased about. I do think Cory has been working behind the scenes to save the game but what that will result in, if anything, is anyone's guess.

Having said that the chances are looking slimmer each passing month and at this point just releasing a new set without other changes seems rather pointless. They need some pretty hefty structural changes that instills confidence in what is a very distraught playerbase or whatever is left of it. Some tablet launch (which was meant to be not too far off after PS4 release) along with a F2P business model change might be a strategy worth trying from their perspective to get some fresh momentum but I have no idea if that's what they're thinking. There are still people playing (PS4 players and PvE fans mostly I would guess) so that probably covers any maintenance costs they might currently have. At this point the sane thing to do would probably be to just play what's available if you enjoy it and not having any expectations.
    • Bootlace wrote:

At this point the sane thing to do would probably be to just play what's available if you enjoy it and not having any expectations.
      I want to echo this, playing for the fun of it as long as you don't spend is a 0 risk high reward assuming you have fun. I don't play a lot but every now and then i go in and i have fun as all the burnout from playing hardcore is gone. I'm even pondering starting a league of some kind with funky rules to see if i can get people back for a few hours every month.
    • Wolzarg wrote:

Bootlace wrote:

At this point the sane thing to do would probably be to just play what's available if you enjoy it and not having any expectations.
      I want to echo this, playing for the fun of it as long as you don't spend is a 0 risk high reward assuming you have fun. I don't play a lot but every now and then i go in and i have fun as all the burnout from playing hardcore is gone. I'm even pondering starting a league of some kind with funky rules to see if i can get people back for a few hours every month.
      don't you dare.. they don't deserve any IP traffic
    • AnomalyCobra wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Bootlace wrote:

Come on now. The situation sucks and I am not happy about the lost money and the way it has all gone. Probably the worst for me is the lost potential. But this statement is just silly. Let the guy try to find some fun with a product he enjoyed. Besides you have it all backwards. IP traffic is just going to cost them not help them. It might hasten the result you are waiting for with bated breath.

So, I don’t know why I am defending Wolzarg, the only time I ever played against him he was a complete dick to me in chat but, I guess this isn’t about him.
    • Surly wrote:

AnomalyCobra wrote:

Wolzarg wrote:

Bootlace wrote:

Come on now. The situation sucks and I am not happy about the lost money and the way it has all gone. Probably the worst for me is the lost potential. But this statement is just silly. Let the guy try to find some fun with a product he enjoyed. Besides you have it all backwards. IP traffic is just going to cost them not help them. It might hasten the result you are waiting for with bated breath.
      So, I don’t know why I am defending Wolzarg, the only time I ever played against him he was a complete dick to me in chat but, I guess this isn’t about him.
      Sorry about that i have issues. Not a excuse merely a explanation.