So what's the problem Hex is facing now?

• Artifaction wrote:

Transience wrote:

AceBladewing wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

MTG:A is a huge success and no other game can compete with it for reasonable income. You can't make both (1) a great game design-wise with (2) a lively competitive scene and with (3) longevity/future prospects when you absolutely HAVE to be content with minimum money.
      Do you not realize how many claims like this have been made in places where someone else DID compete with something and push it out of the top spot? Not just in video games, but any area.
      In this case though.. Arena is really, really good. Like really fucking vomit-inducing good.HEX's pvp card design is on par with MtG but HEX had the far better client compared to MTGO. WOTC fixed that and I don't see anyone topping this unless you can generate the same design quality, the same client quality for a much cheaper prize and also attract enough people to get it steamrolling somehow.
      That's not the case at all, the Arena client is hot garbage
      You haven't played it then.
      "Ignorant beliefs are stains upon the mind."
    • Objectively, MTGA client can be hot garbage. It has many things that many other dCCGs don't have yet, which if we are looking at it objectively, is bad:

- No friend list
      - No spectator mode
      - Direct challenge is so stupid that you have to both input the others' name just to play a goddamn game(Seriously, what kind of coding is that?)
      - Direct challenge doesn't even have BO3, community tournament sucks donkey's balls because of that
      - The game flow still have problem(there are instances where you cannot react to Goblin Warboss before his B.O.C triggers if you are not in full control mode)
      - No goddamn human pod drafting portion(come on, it's in MTGO, how hard is it to code the same thing here?)

And probably others I can't think of at the moment. It just feels good to play only because it's MTG, not because the client is superior.
    • Goliathus wrote:

Objectively, MTGA client can be hot garbage. It has many things that many other dCCGs don't have yet, which if we are looking at it objectively, is bad:

- No friend list
      - No spectator mode
      - Direct challenge is so stupid that you have to both input the others' name just to play a goddamn game(Seriously, what kind of coding is that?)
      - Direct challenge doesn't even have BO3, community tournament sucks donkey's balls because of that
      - The game flow still have problem(there are instances where you cannot react to Goblin Warboss before his B.O.C triggers if you are not in full control mode)
      - No goddamn human pod drafting portion(come on, it's in MTGO, how hard is it to code the same thing here?)

And probably others I can't think of at the moment. It just feels good to play only because it's MTG, not because the client is superior.
      arena introduced cosmetic items last patch. they know what to do. and they know priorities. friend list is not one of this but will come, like human pod draft...
      give them a year and arena will be what MTGO is now with a stunning graphic, a viable FTP model, a huge playerbase. I think they will add even old expansions, slowly, because -you know- having 2 clients for the same game is not smart in the long term

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile!
      start creating your collection NOW, don't waste your time :)
    • OilsBridge wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Objectively, MTGA client can be hot garbage. It has many things that many other dCCGs don't have yet, which if we are looking at it objectively, is bad:

- No friend list
      - No spectator mode

arena introduced cosmetic items last patch. they know what to do. and they know priorities. friend list is not one of this but will come, like human pod draft...give them a year and arena will be what MTGO is now with a stunning graphic, a viable FTP model, a huge playerbase. I think they will add even old expansions, slowly, because -you know- having 2 clients for the same game is not smart in the long term

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile!
      start creating your collection NOW, don't waste your time :)
      Had 70K gold on standby for WAR. Again, I will play it for now because it's the best out of all the worst options. 6.5/10 to me at best but when the highest is a 6.5, it is what it is.
    • I hopped onto gwent, didn't even realize they redesigned the whole game for release and now it is one of my favourites. Really low on RNG and they are really generous with rewards, first deck can be finished in a few hoursif you know specifically what you want to build.
      MTGA just becomes dull after some period. I definitely need some kind of tournaments in that game (at least one monthly) so I can get hyped for something.
    • Basically I agree with both of you. I don't love MGTA in its actual state, and I'm always looking for new card games.
      But then I think "all card games will die one day... not Magic".
      Eternal---> uninstalled
      HS------> uninstalled (a game for braindeads)
      Gwent ----> uninstalled (but had fun for days)
      Shadowverse, Artifact, LOTR:LCC----> all uninstalled
      MGTA----> growing collection for better days (but already fun)

maybe I'm wrong, yup... don't know, just my 2 cents
    • I really liked Artifact but the stingy system and overhyped expectation easily killed that game. I also like Shadowverse and consider it to be the best HS-like game out there. It also arguably has the best tournament integration for a F2P CCG out there so I am still playing it albeit casually. I have not touched LOTR:LCC and Gwent but any others I have touched are not fun to me - either not enough depth or other misc. reasons - and I feel like MTGA really puts the brake on digital card games. Like I really don't see any new game topples it for a while and I even feel like it being so dominant will put a brake on the development of other card games in a "screw that, I am not trying this genre with HS and MTGA out there" sort of way so in my eyes, MTGA will be king till 2025. A dark and depressing timeline for me, but it is what it is.
    • I'm starting to think that the only solution for me is to play many "casual-esque, not so complex" card games, consume the content quickly, get bored, and go on hiatus until new content is released. The time of card games as your only game might be over at this point. It's sad, but gotta just accept that. No one has the balls to attempt a new IP as deep and complex as HEX again. Not after this train wreck. This was our only chance, and CZE completely fucked it up.

I now have several card games on rotation that are not that interesting in the long run, but you can play them for a while. If you get a sufficient number of these, there is always something to play, because one of them is bound to have an expansion soon. I am also quite happy this way, as I have no stress of trying to "keep up" or collecting / managing spreadsheets for hours every day.

For example, Faeria had an expansion today. I had not touched it for months, but I will now play it for a few weeks, or until I have all the cards again. As soon as I have everything, it's bye bye again. I still need more of these games, but it is only a matter of time to find enough good ones.

I also finally started clearing out my paper Magic collection (been in my closet for about 25 years). I don't have any major money cards, but it's fun to do an hour of work and notice "huh, this binder page is now worth 150$ after three cards". I just want to get rid of the fuckers finally. No idea how to sell the goddamn things though.
    • Autzen wrote:

Let me preface this by saying I'm kind of a WW2 history nerd. But check out Kards. It's just released, a little rough around the edges, but I think it has some good potential.
      Came here to make that exact post.
      After the Artifact debacle Kards might be the first dCG since Hex that will keep me interested for more than 2-3 days.
    • TLDR: TRUST

I'm a bit late to the the world ends party but let me add my thoughts to this one.
      This is gonna be a lengthy one.

What is Hex?
      An MMOTCG with PvE addition.
      What is the most important resource a TCG has?
      trust from the playerbase!
      since if the trust fades so does the value of ur cards and we end up in the mess Hex is currently in.

So what were some of the steps HEX took to get Hex into this messy situation. And is it reversable? not necessary complete and in the right order

1. HEX bled out Money via the tournements (not necessary a bad thing) and then "suddenly" changed the reward structure which showed too much insecurity or a rather bad financial situation (that's the bad thing), not forgetting the long wait for the money that showed the same signs

2. HEX looked for "fan"-translations to cut costs publicly (right in this forum) again showing problems

3. PSN flop should be self explaining

4. Indefinitely postponing of set 10 (the final nail in the coffin)

Those are the ones that come instantly to mind.

Sooo lets get into the highly speculative stuff
      Is it possible to reverse this situation? Yes ! Maybe !?!
      Is it easy? NOPE !!!

Conditions that are required to be met to revive the game:

1. A PLAN or schedule or roadmap however u wanna call it since plans we can see working increase trust.
      I recommend the GDC2019 presentation from Chris Wilson (Path of Exile dev) for the best explaination why schedules u fulfill are good.

2. MONEY (it always helps), sadly NETFLIX isn't into games since they have way too much of it and can just throw it out to generate some s*** and some diamonds and all in between :P but any publisher with a decent checkbook would do.

3. UNIQUE SELLING POINT, that's an even trickier one. Hex has the TCG upside and PvE extra but most of the card mechanics are still feasible in paper. and MTG that explored this design space for 20+ years and has a significant experience lead on everything that is possible. Fateweave and Assault are on the right track but I think there should be more in that direction.

4. More interaction with the community, I have to admit they were on the right track with this aspect and it needs to continue.

What will HEX next steps be to rescue Hex ? Hire "fan"-programmers and "fan"-artists to release set 10? :P

Ok I puked enough of my pent-up frustration on here.

Feel free to correct me or add to the lists.

I think I'll still look into the game every few weeks to see if anything happens
      But for the time Hex is still in stasis, I'll play the pseudo Hex-CCG named MTGA
    • Autzen wrote:

Let me preface this by saying I'm kind of a WW2 history nerd. But check out Kards. It's just released, a little rough around the edges, but I think it has some good potential.
      I don't know whether to kiss you or slap you. Tried the game out last night and I'm hooked. I might actually be willing to drop some cash on a digital card game again, damn you.

Do you happen to know if they will wipe collections post-Early Access or anything like that? Couldn't find any info online.