Why not go full on free to play?

• Bootlace wrote:

Player investments retaining value and keeping the game accessible are not mutually exclusive directions. I’ve suggested for years to look into a Pokemon TCGO style dual system where F2P players can be showered with account bound cards (PvP rares and stuff even), while still keeping things worthwhile for those that like the trading/investing side of things. Another possibility was creating powerful PvE cards that can be earned freely playing PvE, which they did do (whether they did it enough or not is another matter). There’s no reason why you can’t have both valuable cards and free cards, Hex is the type of game that’s perfectly suitable to adopt this business model without ending up into a horrid pay-to win or non-functional game.

I've said for a long time that PvE was HxE's best chance at long term success and I still hold that view. It's not to say that their PvP side is not good (actually having recently played MTGA, it just doesn't retain my interest after experiencing Hex's digital design space, champions, gems etc) but on the PvE front there's no one out there with the cool RPG stuff like mercs, equips, talent trees, and I doubt there will really ever be at this point.

Sadly we never got to see HxE fully focusing on the PvE side and trying to build the game around that, but with the latest developments in the dCCG space and still a ripe mobile market out there...it would definite makes sense for HxE to finally focus on this side of the game if they were to make a comeback. There are so many games that take a similar shape to Hex PvE (with content parsed into different dungeons, and new merc/equip like loot laying inside each new one) making insane money, that it would surprise me if they didn't give it a shot. What I'm not sure about is whether the current crop of players would be able to stomach the business model necessary to make such an approach viable.
      PTCGO cards have near zero cash out value though -- I know cuz I have been a trader there. It might as well be a F2P game really, which is why it can be as generous as it should. I am given the understanding that PTCGO operates on a loss but Nintendo doesn't mind it because of the side effect it gets from it -- exposure to the TCG and the Pokemon franchise to the world.
    • Goliathus wrote:

Bootlace wrote:

Player investments retaining value and keeping the game accessible are not mutually exclusive directions. I’ve suggested for years to look into a Pokemon TCGO style dual system where F2P players can be showered with account bound cards (PvP rares and stuff even), while still keeping things worthwhile for those that like the trading/investing side of things. Another possibility was creating powerful PvE cards that can be earned freely playing PvE, which they did do (whether they did it enough or not is another matter). There’s no reason why you can’t have both valuable cards and free cards, Hex is the type of game that’s perfectly suitable to adopt this business model without ending up into a horrid pay-to win or non-functional game.

I've said for a long time that PvE was HxE's best chance at long term success and I still hold that view. It's not to say that their PvP side is not good (actually having recently played MTGA, it just doesn't retain my interest after experiencing Hex's digital design space, champions, gems etc) but on the PvE front there's no one out there with the cool RPG stuff like mercs, equips, talent trees, and I doubt there will really ever be at this point.

Sadly we never got to see HxE fully focusing on the PvE side and trying to build the game around that, but with the latest developments in the dCCG space and still a ripe mobile market out there...it would definite makes sense for HxE to finally focus on this side of the game if they were to make a comeback. There are so many games that take a similar shape to Hex PvE (with content parsed into different dungeons, and new merc/equip like loot laying inside each new one) making insane money, that it would surprise me if they didn't give it a shot. What I'm not sure about is whether the current crop of players would be able to stomach the business model necessary to make such an approach viable.
      PTCGO cards have near zero cash out value though -- I know cuz I have been a trader there. It might as well be a F2P game really, which is why it can be as generous as it should. I am given the understanding that PTCGO operates on a loss but Nintendo doesn't mind it because of the side effect it gets from it -- exposure to the TCG and the Pokemon franchise to the world.
      This one is hard to tell if it runs on a lost, because it might lead to IRL purchases since booster packs come with codes if I remember correctly.

@pae, how many times on the forums and the reddit did Jeff Hoogland tell us we should just accept the game, and still buy into the PVP glitch adventure of Hex TCG. Then jumped ship the second the game was really dead because... surprise surprise we had no fucking content except the competitive pvp drain.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Whiteyzz ().

• Whiteyzz wrote:

This one is hard to tell if it runs on a lost, because it might lead to IRL purchases since booster packs come with codes if I remember correctly.
      @pae, how many times on the forums and the reddit did Jeff Hoogland tell us we should just accept the game, and still buy into the PVP glitch adventure of Hex TCG. Then jumped ship the second the game was really dead because... surprise surprise we had no fucking content except the competitive pvp drain.
      Yup, my exposure includes the income from RL booster pack. Essentially, I think if we are looking at the whole PTCG landscape, Nintendo is netting profit(no shit) but PTCGO alone is operates on a loss and is regarded as more of a platform for exposure and playtesting. The trading is super easy there too. With cards being ultra cheap, anyone can have anything so most don't really go tryhard on trading and that allows the F2P players(like me) who are willing to learn trading can trade their way to a full deck. I would be more thrilled if the cards there have real life market and value cuz I would be able to sell my account or whatever after I am done but eh, it is what it is. Still the most affordable dTCG and possibly ever will be.

Pandaemonium wrote:

@white Hoogland was most likely a promotional streamer. By the time Hoogland came in hex was already in serious crap and was laser focused on competitive pvp play when it was obviously not working. I honestly dont blame hoogland, although he was extremely toxic at times.
      It's not like Hoogland is ever a good businessman or a designer either. Dude's a mercenary who put money first and foremost and is very honest about that(in his old personal website, he wrote something for MTGO like if you pay me money, I will play your modern; if you want me to pay it fast and right now, then pay more. He writes that in a way that is extremely honest [which I sort of respect, even as sort of a Hoogland hater, because it's a better behavior than businessman who wants your money but try to be subtle about that] that money will get you what you want; he changed his website now that he's playing MTGA). I would not listen to anything the dude would say about business decision and what not. And it's also clear to me that he will bail and find his next gold mine, it is what it is, especially if he wants to sustain his full time streamer career.

Shat, the Artifact streamers bailed out even more brutally than Hoogland anyway. They scream Artifact is the best for a week and then bailed out right away as their viewers dropped.
    • Ertzi wrote:

Artifact... Heh heh. I knew that game was a disaster waiting to happen. I will never understand why it got such hype before launch. I am often wrong about these things, but I'm glad I was on the money with that one. Never even touched it.
      Its still Valve so they'll fix it eventually, I just put my 20$ in so I can get whatever they give prior purchasers uniquely when they update the game and go free to play in 2020. Can't imagine what we end up getting is going to be worth less than 20$ in a Valve title.