Why not go full on free to play?

• Why not go full on free to play?

I understand that Hex is in a pretty bad spot, but why isn't anything being done to save the game?

Hex is a fun game, I don't think anyone would argue that. I think the monetization is a huge factor into why a lot of people didnt give Hex an honest try. So maybe it's time to stop trying to mimic the physical collectibles market and adapt to the digital market. Why not Remonitize and remarket the game as fully free to play?

Look at Artifact. It had a more experienced development team and presumably larger development budget and it's preforming horribly. It also has something in common with Hex, the same monitization that physical tcgs have. I'm not surprised that both games are failing in an already over crowded market. Physical tcgs are too expensive and there are too many good free to play alternatives.

As a free to play game Hex could actually begin to rebuild it's player base and with a healthy player base there is plenty of money to be made from cosmetics(sleeves, aa cards, battleboards).

Here is how I would go about making it a free to play game.

1. Drop pack price to 25 plat. This makes it almost free but not quite. People will still buy packs at this price even if there is a way to quickly grind for packs.

2. Remove the non pack tournament/gauntlet fees. This makes it actually free, you can grind out a few packs on merry melee then enter an evo/sealed/draft. It will make grinding for packs something anyone can easily do but still require a lot of time to grind out full sets.

3. Remove primal chance from tournament/gauntlet rewards. This gives people more incentive to buy over grinding.

4. Remove chest generating from packs used to join a tournament/gauntlet. This gives people a reason to open packs outside of tournaments/gauntlets.

5. Remove or significantly reduce the gold cost to roll chests. No one likes the fee and it tacks a negative experience onto what should be a mostly positive one.

6. Rebrand "pve" cards, call them something different and make a pvp mode that includes them. There isn't enough pve content for all of the pve cards and equipment and mercs that we have, yet these are some of the more fun cards to play around with. With no pve content on the horizon why not get some use out this content on the pvp side?

7. Temporarily remove seige and the campaign. They aren't finished and you can tell. Remove them until a more complete experience can be provided.

8. Put retired packs back on the store. Stop trying to make functional content exclusive. It makes people who missed out not want to play the game. This goes for pvp sets and kismet packs.

9. When there is a seasonal event make it so that there is an 87% chance to get the new rewards a 10% chance to get a reward from a previous event and a 3% percent chance to get a KS reward. Time gated exclusive content is bad when it's functional content. This applies to KS rewards too. No one wants to show up late to the party only to find a ton of cool shit happened prior to their arrival, and that is all that these exclusives are. Cosmetics on the hand can be exclusive all day.

10. If the community ever increases enough to support it, put in rotating flashback limited and constructed.

11. Set up cosmetic monitization something like this:
      AA cards 100 plat, 300 for a set
      AAA cards 400 plat, 1200 for a set.
      Sleeves 500-1000 plat
      Animated sleeves 1000-2000 plat
      Battle boards 2000-3500 plat
      Stop giving cosmetics away during events and as tournament rewards, this should be the primary source of income.

A lot of work has been pit into Hex already, it seems like a huge waist just to sit by and watch the game linger on life support. I don't see why Hex with all of the content that is already in the game can't get back to a state of active development. Sure it wouldn't be the game that was originally imagined with rare cards selling for crazy amounts of cash. Maybe it was a mistake to ever go that route. Maybe Hex should try to be the fun game that it already is and not so much the investment opportunity that it wanted to be. Or maybe this post is a year too late and the devs have already thrown in the towel.
    • CoSVII wrote:

Perhaps 2 years ago ...

This the 11th hour and there is no hope on the horizon. The last communication from the CEO was “a few words” 9 months ago.

Many anticipat the plug being pulled on the servers as soon as the PS4 contract is up.
      Indeed...all plans and suggestions now are coming two years too late. The patient is dead and decaying on the ground and actually you can already see the skeleton. So it might be a little pointless to debate on what medicine to prescribe.

Thing is of course that two years ago you would have been labeled a constant cry baby for raising concerns.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Metronomy ().

• Yep, I remember bringing up concerns over the pricing model way back before alpha started, the most popular response was "welcome to tcgs". I still feel like it's the biggest reason Hex never caught on.

Maybe now is the best time to implement a change of this nature. With the player base so small they have less to lose then they ever have before. There wouldn't be a huge backlash, in fact people would probably welcome any change at this point.
    • Arcanis wrote:

Yep, I remember bringing up concerns over the pricing model way back before alpha started, the most popular response was "welcome to tcgs". I still feel like it's the biggest reason Hex never caught on.

Maybe now is the best time to implement a change of this nature. With the player base so small they have less to lose then they ever have before. There wouldn't be a huge backlash, in fact people would probably welcome any change at this point.
      "BUT MAH CARD VALUE!" people killed the game and the Jeff Hoogland all i care about PVP crowd too.

They listened to the Jeff Hoogland I want MTG 2, please don't care about PVE just give us PVP.
      -No PVE content for what 2 years = everyone who played for PVE just left, I'm glad i sold out I think set 3 or 4 when a vampire king was 40$ each.
      -No Raiding, so people who where interested in this factor, never spent a dime or little on it.
      -Had to compete against Hearthstone/MTGO/MTGA/Pokemon online/Yu-gi-oh online, offering nothing new other then a few things.

But mah card value people, wanted to make this game like MTGO their job, making a fuck ton of money.

-The market was a mess, no one understood trading which made people feel like there was 0 progression then pay cash
      -Anything to make it easier to trade, and convert gold <-> plat was shot down, as said above people wanted it to be impossible to get into the market and profit.
      -They're the reason now cards have no value, or this game. Which is hilarious. Glad I sold my account for 3k USD after the steam failure (I said, steam hates pay to win games, and right now this is pay to win. But nah the same names who where also selling their card and cared for their card value, said I was an idiot people would join.
    • Whiteyzz wrote:

Arcanis wrote:

Yep, I remember bringing up concerns over the pricing model way back before alpha started, the most popular response was "welcome to tcgs". I still feel like it's the biggest reason Hex never caught on.

"BUT MAH CARD VALUE!" people killed the game and the Jeff Hoogland all i care about PVP crowd too.
      They listened to the Jeff Hoogland I want MTG 2, please don't care about PVE just give us PVP.

If the game had actually been MTGO: Better Edition it wouldn't be dead right now.
    • It looks like the devs are now on the block chain train which is kind of a thing for people who want to retain "value" of cards. I think those "value" people are in the small minority and shrinking given the state of ccg v tcgs right now. I honestly think those types of games will be a hard pass for 95% of card players. But heck I thought artifact would be good too.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

You can have card value and good mechanics, they're not mutually exclusive.
      Definitely not mutual exclusive I agree. Not to derail too much, artifact has good mechanics but the monetization was a major factor in its death. There were other problems but people are very used to cards falling from the sky for free. I think digital tcgs in general just are not in a good place.
    • Utremeld wrote:

Whiteyzz wrote:

Arcanis wrote:

"BUT MAH CARD VALUE!" people killed the game and the Jeff Hoogland all i care about PVP crowd too.They listened to the Jeff Hoogland I want MTG 2, please don't care about PVE just give us PVP.
      If the game had actually been MTGO: Better Edition it wouldn't be dead right now.
      Wasn't going to become MTGO: Better edition in my eyes, what it could've competed against was the MTG: planeswalkers game cause the single player was a trash fire, and it's multiplayer was eh. The real thing it had going for it over most card games was the PVE and Co-op. A lot of companies fail to see the fun of casual play.

AceBladewing wrote:

Seriously, nothing wrong with wanting to keep card value in a trading card game. Don't shift the blame from the devs who implemented their system poorly to the people wanting to keep the value of the goods they purchased. That's some warped perspective.
      Cept the card "MUH CARD VALUE" people, kept the course of nothing is wrong, this system is fine, everything is perfect, actually PVE isn't important focus on PVP. Actually you know what ignore PVE so I can grind my weekly drafts, so I never have to spend money on the game. The issue was never the value, it's the people who would fight any change to making it more accessible for those who want to spend little or nothing (let's be honest PVE will make people hit a brick wall with it's power curve, with so many challenge fights of "bring a deck good at this specific thing, which requires you to buy a bunch of cards to just solve". Sure you could do PVE 4 times to get a playset of the basic cards, and farm some silver to get good cheap rares that aren't competitive but solid cards as what my article on the PVE deck for necrotic that beat the entire thing was around 8$~ + 1$~ to beat the piranha encounter. I've always designed the cheapest decks to push the PVE format and get people decks they can grind to get easily. But i've had people against my idea's of

Plat booster packs holding old cards that no longer see competitive play. So F2P people can get an access of good cards to play PVE?
      Nope, they don't want old cards to lose value!

Easier gold to plat exchange, hey dude it's not needed just understand that off to the side there is this gold to silver plat trade, what new people should have 100% mastery and knowledge of UI.

The focus of competitive play because a lot of the value cards come from PVP due to them being pay walled behind packs, while most the PVE rares where absolute trash fires except a few (plant dragon was the only one with the longest lasting value). With them saying we can't monetize PVE fairly without brick walling it, made all the muh value people just say it wasn't worth the time. Even though the vast majority of players wanted PVE/Raiding side of Hex. Heck most the people who kick started where big on the guild/raiding/PVE system because other then sharizad we only have one real PVE based card game. Then when we complained the PVP based Hooglanders just went "FUND THIS GAME EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT WHAT YOU WANT ANYMORE" and muh value just wanting more PVP sets so they can free draft it.

The issue wasn't value, but how muh value people hated anything that could possibly change the value of the card and would be in an outrage on the forums if someone tried suggesting something other then "hex's is perfect, please keep profiting off unlimited drafts, while I put no money into the system". PvPers where an issue because gods this game showed it didn't have the funding behind it to do PVP with bug after bug not being fixed, having cards just straight up banned because they couldn't fix the issue. Someone got that bugged card in draft and the bug was game breaking, well better bend over and prepare the lube (and the money you spent on that draft).

I've called everything and glad I sold out when I did. I saw a sinking ship and went for the one life boat there was which was selling my account and all my cards with it. Remember when VK's went for 30$+
    • Whiteyzz wrote:

Cept the card "MUH CARD VALUE" people, kept the course of nothing is wrong, this system is fine, everything is perfect, actually PVE isn't important focus on PVP. Actually you know what ignore PVE so I can grind my weekly drafts, so I never have to spend money on the game.
      Bullshit. There were maybe a handful of people with this attitude, but most people wanted them to keep card value while also improving other aspects of the game. I could use the same disingenuous tactic and reference the vocal minority on the other side of the argument to try to generalize, too.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Whiteyzz wrote:

Cept the card "MUH CARD VALUE" people, kept the course of nothing is wrong, this system is fine, everything is perfect, actually PVE isn't important focus on PVP. Actually you know what ignore PVE so I can grind my weekly drafts, so I never have to spend money on the game.
      Bullshit. There were maybe a handful of people with this attitude, but most people wanted them to keep card value while also improving other aspects of the game. I could use the same disingenuous tactic and reference the vocal minority on the other side of the argument to try to generalize, too.
      I think that most content creators and forum posters did have the attitude that pve should not be a focus and card value was extremely important. These people may have been in the vocal minority, but they were very vocal and sometimes very toxic. Of course the only thing that matters is that hex seemed to have that opinion too.
    • Player investments retaining value and keeping the game accessible are not mutually exclusive directions. I’ve suggested for years to look into a Pokemon TCGO style dual system where F2P players can be showered with account bound cards (PvP rares and stuff even), while still keeping things worthwhile for those that like the trading/investing side of things. Another possibility was creating powerful PvE cards that can be earned freely playing PvE, which they did do (whether they did it enough or not is another matter). There’s no reason why you can’t have both valuable cards and free cards, Hex is the type of game that’s perfectly suitable to adopt this business model without ending up into a horrid pay-to win or non-functional game.

I've said for a long time that PvE was HxE's best chance at long term success and I still hold that view. It's not to say that their PvP side is not good (actually having recently played MTGA, it just doesn't retain my interest after experiencing Hex's digital design space, champions, gems etc) but on the PvE front there's no one out there with the cool RPG stuff like mercs, equips, talent trees, and I doubt there will really ever be at this point.

Sadly we never got to see HxE fully focusing on the PvE side and trying to build the game around that, but with the latest developments in the dCCG space and still a ripe mobile market out there...it would definite makes sense for HxE to finally focus on this side of the game if they were to make a comeback. There are so many games that take a similar shape to Hex PvE (with content parsed into different dungeons, and new merc/equip like loot laying inside each new one) making insane money, that it would surprise me if they didn't give it a shot. What I'm not sure about is whether the current crop of players would be able to stomach the business model necessary to make such an approach viable.