Let's talk about the Wheels of Fate

• The thread has also been bumped multiple times and was originally posted in February 2017. Yea the wheel of fate could be updated. However, the little slot machine is peanuts compared to more pressing things like pve, casual play, ah improvements, deck editor improvements, mobile support.

For the time being, the kismet packs seem like a better gold sink. I would actually like to see something replace the slot machine. The chest also could be replaced because only a small segment cares about spending huge plat/gold on sleeves.
    • Cory addressed the WOF in the last 2 Turns Ahead podcast he did (pretty sure it was 2TA, but I remember the conversation happening on stream). He basically said that WOF is a finished product and they won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems they are working on that have yet to be implemented. The AH was the one thing he said that they felt they needed to go back and redo.

Feedback is awesome and I'm sure they are reading it, but putting brain power into discussing WOF isn't something I think they are likely to do.
    • Ossuary wrote:

*sigh*

Another update update, another week of no response. Maybe this week?

Interesting fact: this thread is currently the 8th most viewed thread on the forums, among such juggernauts as set spoiler threads, set rules FAQs, the EU exchange rate discussion, and the conscript discussion. It's the highest viewed thread to NOT have either a dev response, or to have been posted by the devs in the first place.

Let's talk already! :)
      Probably a poor sign. lol
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • GobBluth wrote:

Cory addressed the WOF in the last 2 Turns Ahead podcast he did (pretty sure it was 2TA, but I remember the conversation happening on stream). He basically said that WOF is a finished product and they won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems they are working on that have yet to be implemented. The AH was the one thing he said that they felt they needed to go back and redo.

Feedback is awesome and I'm sure they are reading it, but putting brain power into discussing WOF isn't something I think they are likely to do.
      That's a scary mindset for a game developer... 'it's released so we don't want to touch it'
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • TheGreatCulling wrote:

But that's not at all what you quoted. It's more like 'it works okay-ish, even though there might be room for improvement; we won't touch it while we have more important stuff to take care off'.
      The reality of game design is that there will ALWAYS be systems that they're working on that are not yet implemented.

If their logic is to not touch any system they've implemented until they're done all the new stuff they're working on, they're basically saying 'it's released so we don't want to touch it'... because you never FINISH developing a game like this. There's always a new idea for a system that'd fit just perfectly, etc.

It's a scary mindset.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

The reality of game design is that there will ALWAYS be systems that they're working on that are not yet implemented.

If their logic is to not touch any system they've implemented until they're done all the new stuff they're working on, they're basically saying 'it's released so we don't want to touch it'... because you never FINISH developing a game like this. There's always a new idea for a system that'd fit just perfectly, etc.

It's a scary mindset.
      Or maybe, just maybe, the system is implemented as it was designed, and they looked at the data and saw that it was producing the results they expected it to produce, and they are generally satisfied with the thing. One forum thread with a couple of people that are unsatisfied with a completely optional and unimportant part of the game does not mean that the game is broken. Not everybody will like every aspect of Hex. That is the design. If they bent over and changed everything every time somebody complained about something in the forums, now that would be a scary mindset.
    • @Eraia

are you intentionally ignoring what I write? Not even taking into consideration whether they want to change it/there is any need to change it, the question is whether it's more important to change the WoF or work on other things. Of course there's always something new to develop, but right now I think the WoF are of minor consequence, while working on key areas of the game (PvE, PvP sets, new tournaments, important improvements to AH/deck builder etc.) is much more important.
    • TheGreatCulling wrote:

are you intentionally ignoring what I write? Not even taking into consideration whether they want to change it/there is any need to change it, the question is whether it's more important to change the WoF or work on other things. Of course there's always something new to develop, but right now I think the WoF are of minor consequence, while working on key areas of the game (PvE, PvP sets, new tournaments, important improvements to AH/deck builder etc.) is much more important.
      No, I was going by the wording of the statement as it was quoted.

And i quote:

GobBluth wrote:

they won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems they are working on that have yet to be implemented.
      If your mindset in game design is 'we won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems we are working on that have yet to be implemented', I will get very concerned about the future of your game.

THAT is the part that worries me. Not that it applies to the WoF. That it is something they'd say at all. It's a horribly scary mindset for a game developer to have.

Edit:

And FYI the Deck builder was not mentioned there. It's an 'existing feature' so.......

• Eraia wrote:

GobBluth wrote:

they won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems they are working on that have yet to be implemented.
      If your mindset in game design is 'we won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems we are working on that have yet to be implemented', I will get very concerned about the future of your game.
      THAT is the part that worries me. Not that it applies to the WoF. That it is something they'd say at all. It's a horribly scary mindset for a game developer to have.

Edit:

And FYI the Deck builder was not mentioned there. It's an 'existing feature' so.......
      I actually gave an example of something they are willing to go back and change because they think it warrants it: the AH (the deck builder has also been talked about as something that needs updating). Not sure why you are cherry picking that one sentence.
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

HXE bucket list

0. Become an e-sport
      1. Make 100k invitational a yearly thing
      2. More PvP formats
      3. All classes, lv30
      4.PvE multiplayer
      9001. WoF tweaking
      9002. EDH
      Personally, if "becoming an e-sport" is top priority, that's probably a good indicator for me to abandon the game.
      I very deliberatelly put it at '0', meaning that it's probably an "ideal" that they hope they can reach with the way they're going but not directly working for. Like a person saying "I want to live with honour"
    • Vroengard wrote:

I very deliberatelly put it at '0', meaning that it's probably an "ideal" that they hope they can reach with the way they're going but not directly working for. Like a person saying "I want to live with honour"
      You misinterpret me: If the gameplay becomes such that it starts to become something like an e-sport, I'll know there's no point to me continuing on with it.

It's the opposite of an ideal to me; It's an omen.
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

You misinterpret me: If the gameplay becomes such that it starts to become something like an e-sport, I'll know there's no point to me continuing on with it.
      ...they have said they are working towards becoming an esport from the very beginning. it can be an esport on the pve side and still have lots of fun pve content
    • GobBluth wrote:

Cory addressed the WOF in the last 2 Turns Ahead podcast he did (pretty sure it was 2TA, but I remember the conversation happening on stream). He basically said that WOF is a finished product and they won't be going back to make improvements on existing systems when there are systems they are working on that have yet to be implemented. The AH was the one thing he said that they felt they needed to go back and redo.

In the last 2 turns episode Cory Jones was on, he said no such thing about chests. As a matter of fact he said he was open and didn't know what to do.
      Link for reference here.

Until the designers know what they are actually going to change with chests, I doubt we'll hear anything from any of them, and when they do know what they're doing, it'll be front page news.

As far as solutions go, I'd like it if after strongholds are released, if they can fulfill the role of primary gold sink, chests from the next set to release and onward were be free to spin, maybe with some minor adjustments to the loot tables. The main problem right now with chests that causes the feel bad is the enormous cost attached to rolling the higher end chests on the same loot table, but free rolls are really just all win IMO, so if it's not needed as a gold sink anymore, then it can just be a fun little extra on packs that Cory initially intended them to be.
    • SaintVicarious wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Huh, yea, I did misunderstand you.

But what kind of impact would an eventual e-sport realization have? You won't have to participate if you don't want to so you must have some other drawback in mind.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Huh, yea, I did misunderstand you.
      But what kind of impact would an eventual e-sport realization have? You won't have to participate if you don't want to so you must have some other drawback in mind.
      Every e-sport I'm aware of is catered to being as fast as possible. If you look at Starcraft, their matches are extremely fast compared to your Dawn of Wars/Supreme Commanders/Command and Conquers. If you look at Counterstrike, it's significantly faster than your Battlefields/ARMAs/Rainbow 6s. League of Legends and DotA are both ludicrously fast compared to most games (All MOBAs are fast compared to RPGs; Only one is popular as an esport). Heck, even Hearthstone has sped up appreciably since becoming an e-sport.

My concern is that the gameplay is going to favour "bite size battles" and RNG to make it popular as an esport, which is both the opposite gameplay I look for, and means I have to worry about "what's popular" affecting the gameplay going forward.