Let's talk about the Wheels of Fate

• Vroengard wrote:

Balthuzad wrote:

I just remember before we were able open chests, some staff member said "it'll totally be worth it to spin legendary chests, we can't say why right now, you'll see once chest opening is available" - now that it is available, it's fair to say the general consensus is: it's not worth it. If the sleeves *from primal chests* were tradable, even just a "tradable once only" thing, it would help. Something should change for future sets anyhow.
      Exclusive untradeable sleeves are worth it.You and me and others who don't bother with cosmetic may not like them, but don't take it upon yourself to declare that they're not worth it.
      All I'm saying is that the majority of people I've heard talk about it, they say that paying 30,000 gold to spin a legendary chest is not worth it. I'm not taking it upon myself, I'm saying the majority seems to agree upon it.
    • Balthuzad wrote:

All I'm saying is that the majority of people I've heard talk about it, they say that paying 30,000 gold to spin a legendary chest is not worth it. I'm not taking it upon myself, I'm saying the majority seems to agree upon it.
      The majority is saying that as an advice to newer players. Every guide we've writen and every advice we've given say that it's better to only spin C/UC. Then the newer become veteran and they give the same advice to the other new players, because that's what they've been taught. It started as an anti-frustration mechanic so newer players who didn't know the game that well didn't feel cheated of their 30000 Gold and quit.
    • Draconix wrote:

You can get triple red symbols. Because i don't believe it! Is this like that urunaaz fellow allegedly lurking in frost ring arena?
      I got 3x red symbols 5 times out of 120 chests with set release. Not too shabby... but those good feelings were kind of counteracted when I opened a legendary chest and got 2 uncommon equips from it (that I already had, of course). The loot tables are a real feel-bad experience, which is part of why I hope that HexEnt will read this thread and finally take some action. :)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Vroengard wrote:

Balthuzad wrote:

The majority is saying that as an advice to newer players. Every guide we've writen and every advice we've given say that it's better to only spin C/UC. Then the newer become veteran and they give the same advice to the other new players, because that's what they've been taught. It started as an anti-frustration mechanic so newer players who didn't know the game that well didn't feel cheated of their 30000 Gold and quit.
      I think the majority are saying that they don't think a sleeve is worth 240,000g / 1200p / $12. Keeping in mind that 6 months ago this was more like $15.
    • That part doesn't actually matter (per se), as long as SOMEONE thinks it is (or a few someones, anyway!). CZE never intended for super chase sleeves to appeal to every single player, it's just one of the many collector-mindset itches they're attempting to scratch. Also, if the process and experience of spinning the wheels in general were better, then more people would participate, and might decide those sleeves are worth going for after all.
      --ossuary

• Ossuary wrote:

CZE never intended for super chase sleeves
      Just like how not everyone is going to get a double playset of the account leveling rewards to have both extended and regular art... but one person certainly did ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • As your wish

Ossuary wrote:

Gregangel wrote:

HEXCoryJones wrote:

we want it to be a successful gold sink that also feels good...
      Successful yes I think it will be.Feel good well not often I guess.

I am a bit puzzled here because it's seems to me so easy to come up with effective gold sink and feel goods moments.

What about building around the already existing Wheel of Fate and transform the feel bad moments of lots of rolls into feel good ones?
      Easy to do really : add a progression bar to it. Any success roll fill the bar a little. Rarer the chest is more the bar is filling.
      When the bar is full you earn something the same way you earn things with your level account but with only 10 or so tiers ( special AA and sleeve, Battleboards, special merc)

Really it a win-win : you build around a existing feature, you enhance the experience for every gold sinker players with lot of fill good moment when you see the bar filling and then a explosion of joy when the reward is reached. And the gold sink power of the WoF is greatly multiplied and with less frustration
      Credit where credit is due, this is a great idea. Please post it in my Wheels of Fate thread. :)
    • Seriously though, I do like that idea, because it allows them to build some extra incentive on top of the existing system without having to actually revamp things like loot tables or drop rates.

I do still think some items (as outlined in my first post) need to be revamped with the spinning mechanics fundamentally, but this idea would be a very nice interim or additional incentive that wouldn't take too much work to implement (the mechanics all already exist, you'd just need to add some extra loot).
      --ossuary

• I swore a long time ago never to roll chests above uncommon again. I forgot that lesson and rolled three up to primal in set 5. I was immediately punished with equipment rewards. This is such bad design that I bothered to make this post and very few things will get me to do that.

When you spend several packs worth of gold to finally get that chest up to primal (moderate feel good moment), you should not get worthless junk inside the chest itself (massive feel bad moment). There is not a piece of pve equipment in this game that i want to see in my primal chest. I got two pieces in each of those three chests and swore, again, to never use this system. That's not the experience you want to give to any player, new or otherwise.
    • Okay I'll give my 2 cents here. My suggestion is less a suggestion and more a rework though.

First things first. Common chests now cost 1000 gold to spin, uncommon chests cost 2000, rare costs 5000 and legendary costs 10000. The gold prices made sense when gold was earned through tournaments. Now its transitioned to PvE only and whereas before you could get like 1.8 legendary chest spins off winning a draft it now takes about 3 hours of solid grinding to spin 1 legendary chest which might even give a paid spin making the overall process redundant.
      The lower costs are to make up for this change in the way it's obtained. A legendary chest would still take just under an hour to spin which is still a significant amount of time for something that might say "Lol try again".

Altered results chart
      Single Eye - Still paid spin
      Double Eye - Still free spin
      Triple Eye - Now permanently makes the chest free spin even after spinning (Still about as common on the WoF as now)
      Triple Star - Still mercenary
      Triple Crown - Still equipment
      Triple hands - Still single Upgrade (Now slightly more common to make up for the removal of triple eye upgrades)
      Triple Moon - Still PvE card
      Triple Mushroom - Still Sleeve
      Triple Skull - Still AA card
      Triple Heart - Still Double Upgrade
      --------
      Coloured spins change
      Gold and Red spins no longer appear only at the beginning. They can appear in any slot (this just makes spins feel different. Drop rates for single and double spins don't change)
      Triple gold is just as rare as now
      Triple red lands twice as much (explain why later)
      Single Gold still gives 500 gold
      Double Gold now gives 3000 gold (Makes up for the removal of stardust)
      Triple Gold now gives 7000 gold (Makes up for the removal of stardust)
      Single Red Now gives common stardust
      Double red now gives a uncommon or rare stardust
      Triple red now gives a legendary or promo stardust
      Triple colours don't cancel paid spin anymore (This just felt bad sometimes if I was trying to get a certain different result)
      ------
      Loot drop changes
      There's now 3 different drops per set for a triple white spin. (As in 3 equipment, mercs, AAs, PvE card and sleeve)
      There's now 2 different drops per set for triple red spin
      There's still 1 drop per set for a triple gold spin
      *If some of the more complicated things like mercs are too large of a commitment then there can still be 1 drop per triple colour just make that particular result rarer to compensate
      -------
      Triple spider changes
      Triple white spider still gives a rare from the set
      Triple red spider now gives either a legendary or a pack
      Triple gold spider now gives either a legendary+rare card or a legendary+Pack
      ------
      New additions to the WoF
      A blue colour spin. Blue rewards a sub currency (I'll say bronze). Bronze is untradable but it can be used to purchase exclusive stuff from the chark mart which rotates out each set. This isn't intended to be hard to collect everything but to reward those who do use the WoF and be used as a timestamp to say "I spun chests during this time period of hex". Ideally to buy a playset of the sets chark mart cycle should only take about 150 to 200 spins to get enough bronze. Triple blue spins give the same drops as triple white and don't cancel paid spins.
      An image of kismet result. This is a result that is saved across all sets. This slot will only even appear if you spin it in triple. First time will be triple white and give a kismet sleeve. 2nd result will be triple red and give a kistmet merc (untradable). 3rd result and all others after are triple gold and give a single copy of a unique kismet PvE card (just 1 copy but spin is repeatable). Should on average take over 5000 spins to get the result even once. This is supposed to be a sign of the truly dedicated chest spinner.
      Once per set result that when spun will be a white, red and gold hex comet. It gives a battleboard themed around the set.
      New result doppelgadget. This is probably my worst or best idea. Triple white makes 1 chest of any set at random. Triple red makes 2 chests at random and Triple gold makes 3 chests at random except a primal chest. The chests made are refereed to specifically as "Doppelchests', they can spin every result a regular chest can except the spiders to preserve the rotation. The reason I suggest this is because I'm looking to shift the "rotated stuff" away from chests no longer being printed to the chark mart bronze sales. Since PvE cards and equipment come from chests I felt it was important to keep them available. If the doppelchest happens to be a legendary chest it also can't contain a booster pack but that's the only alteration to the chest loot table.
      ------
      Future addition
      And finally once consumables are added they can have a potion icon or be a result as a 5th colour of Green. If colour is used then triple green results would give drops as if triple white.

So obviously that's a lot of changes but I did say it was almost like a rework. The general goal is to keep people spinning stuff they don't own for longer and to make spinning more enticing for everyone all around by offering a greater variety of rewards and making it cheaper.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Reeplay ().