Friday Update - Sprocket Socket

• I'm out of ideas what to write in this one so I'll copy paste:

As can be expected from the company that makes the World of Warcraft TCG, we are a company filled to the brim with hardcore MMORPG players, and some of our designers have even built MMORPGs in the past. For example, Kevin Jordan, who was one of the three original designers of the universe’s most successful MMORPG, World of Warcraft, is now the lead for the HEX MMORPG elements.
      As hardcore MMORPG players, we had a huge list of features that we thought could really make an online TCG incredible! Not the least of which is a robust, story-based PVE experience, complete with dungeons and raids and monsters and loot, all tied around playing a card game. When we started thinking about PVE, community, guilds, auction houses, factions, storytelling (all the stuff that makes an MMORPG fun), we knew that HEX could be something special, something that had never been done before!

I found that on the Hex kickstarter page.
    • I'm out of ideas what to write in this one so I'll copy paste:

As can be expected from the company that makes the World of Warcraft
      TCG, we are a company filled to the brim with hardcore MMORPG players,
      and some of our designers have even built MMORPGs in the past. For
      example, Kevin Jordan, who was one of the three original designers of
      the universe’s most successful MMORPG, World of Warcraft, is now the
      lead for the HEX MMORPG elements.
      As hardcore MMORPG players, we had a huge list of features that we
      thought could really make an online TCG incredible! Not the least of
      which is a robust, story-based PVE experience, complete with dungeons
      and raids and monsters and loot, all tied around playing a card game.
      When we started thinking about PVE, community, guilds, auction houses,
      factions, storytelling (all the stuff that makes an MMORPG fun), we knew
      that HEX could be something special, something that had never been done
      before!

I found that on the Hex kickstarter page.
    • So to put another nail in the MTGO coffin, MTGA is embraced as the new digital esports platform. MTGO market prices keep declining to new lows and is as expected getting phased out. Will Wizards keep the servers on Hex style or offer redeem options in MTGA? Tune in next year to find out.

Hearthstone's new expansion seems fun until you run into a Rexxar Hunter for the 10th straight game.

Smash Bros Ultimate adventure mode giving me Hex Adventure Zone vibes. You got the oveworld node puzzles (event battles) and Mercenaries (Spirits) to counter balance them. The way you can move around the map feels much better than Hex's map cursor which I always hated but hey that's Nintendo budget for ya.
    • Bootlace wrote:

So to put another nail in the MTGO coffin, MTGA is embraced as the new digital esports platform. MTGO market prices keep declining to new lows and is as expected getting phased out. Will Wizards keep the servers on Hex style or offer redeem options in MTGA? Tune in next year to find out.

Hearthstone's new expansion seems fun until you run into a Rexxar Hunter for the 10th straight game.

Smash Bros Ultimate adventure mode giving me Hex Adventure Zone vibes. You got the oveworld node puzzles (event battles) and Mercenaries (Spirits) to counter balance them. The way you can move around the map feels much better than Hex's map cursor which I always hated but hey that's Nintendo budget for ya.
      Thank you for the link to that article. Great read. It lead me to this one, which is also pretty interesting in my opinion.
    • Ertzi wrote:

Thank you for the link to that article. Great read. It lead me to this one, which is also pretty interesting in my opinion.
      Nice article altough I don't really agree with the conclusion it seems to make of having to pick between casual and competitive (although the split in priority definitely could be shifting). They just announced a big push for esports status so I don't think they're exactly trying to push out the pros, it's just that the concept of having offline tournaments makes less and less sense in this day and age and most people (especially as they get older) don't see themselves wanting to do that when there are much better options with making money in the gaming industry. If people can make good money playing on MTGA I think there will once again be a rise in popularity of competitive gaming and the pros.

As a pro you also have to adjust yourself to fit into modern times if you want to keep making a living whether that's creating more content (podcasts, shoutcasting, articles, guides, videos etc), being on more platforms (twitch/youtube/patron/discord) or maybe even dabbling in other games to boost the amount of eyeballs that follow you. Even in the UFC, being a pro has been more and more about being able to market yourself rather than how good you are.

Hearthstone actually did a lot right in terms of making a really enjoyable card game to watch that's easy to follow, and the Twitch integrations of hovering over cards for more info or seeing what cards are left in a player's deck is part of the evolution we are seeing in CCGs as potential esports potential (which at one point many thought it was a lost cause).