Friday Update - Touch of Beyond

• New

Obsidian wrote:

Man, everyone's so angry they have to pay for their games*. Almost everyone leaving a negative review just wants to grind gameplay for cards at whatever crawl Valve sets. Valve respected their customer's time by making a no-grind, no BS game and they're getting slammed for it in reviews. "Artifact just wants all the money!" while a playset of every card in the game's like, $200. And that's on release. As more packs get opened, cost of cards is going to plummet.

It's ridiculous.
      *Paying twice for their games.

Listen, you gotta put some method of making money in a free game like Hex/Gwent/Hearthstone, I get that - everyone gets that. When your game already costs $20 yet you're sitting with your hands out, no, you deserve the derision you get.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • New

Seriously? Let's imagine you're planning on buying some packs at some point, ever. The up front $20 cost is just those packs. So you're not paying twice, you're paying up front.

Let's imagine you had no intention of buying packs at all. You're paying $20 for access to unlimited free phantom drafts, which is a better deal than you'll find in any other digital card game I've ever seen.

You either buy packs, in which case you were going to spend that $20 anyways, or never buy packs, in which case the game you bought is Phantom Drafts.

If you intended to buy the game and only buy singles from the market, well I suppose you might not have paid the initial fee, but you're still getting some event tickets, cards to turn into event tickets, and access to a marketplace that's pretty cheap compared to most tcgs.

So the game's perfectly reasonable to players that were 1) ever going to buy tickets, or 2) only wanted to phantom draft. The only player that is slightly maligned here is the player that ONLY wanted to play constructed (and thus doesn't care about phantom draft) without buying packs, and even then they're out a modest $15 after you count the event tickets.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • New

Obsidian wrote:

Seriously? Let's imagine you're planning on buying some packs at some point, ever. The up front $20 cost is just those packs. So you're not paying twice, you're paying up front.

Let's imagine you had no intention of buying packs at all. You're paying $20 for access to unlimited free phantom drafts, which is a better deal than you'll find in any other digital card game I've ever seen.

You either buy packs, in which case you were going to spend that $20 anyways, or never buy packs, in which case the game you bought is Phantom Drafts.

If you intended to buy the game and only buy singles from the market, well I suppose you might not have paid the initial fee, but you're still getting some event tickets, cards to turn into event tickets, and access to a marketplace that's pretty cheap compared to most tcgs.

So the game's perfectly reasonable to players that were 1) ever going to buy tickets, or 2) only wanted to phantom draft. The only player that is slightly maligned here is the player that ONLY wanted to play constructed (and thus doesn't care about phantom draft) without buying packs, and even then they're out a modest $15 after you count the event tickets.
      Again, then there's no reason to make $20 the cost of entry. Put it in as a "starter pack" option in the game. If you're going to force a purchase, that has to mean something, not just "hey, we forced this $20 on you to start, and if it turns out you don't like the game, too bad, because you're in for $20."

The whole point of a digital CCG is that I can get up and running before I decide if I think it's worth the cost.
      Never shift in to reverse without a backup plan.
    • New

$20 entry fee helps cut down on 'fake accounts' farming starting boosters or troll accounts. If you have to invest money to access something, people treat it with a little more respect.

The 'whole point' of a digital tcg is to collect your cards in a platform that automatically catalogues and sorts your inventory, makes deck-building a lot easier, and offers 24-hour access of opponents and playing venues, which are upgrades over a traditional TCG, with the downside of not having physical, tangible cards to work with.

You're thinking of the whole point of f2p games, which Artifact explicitly isn't, as indicated by the $20 entry fee that you've noticed.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented