Friday Update - Dingle Dongle

• Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V yet again.

I was curious for a second what did the cosmic crown winners played but remembered hexpvptools shut down.

No jokes today, Hex is in a very sad place.

Edit: Checked hexprice.com to see trades. Doesn't seem to be much trade going on there.
    • So...this is it I guess.
      With Artifact going live next week this probably was the last Hex update I'll ever read.
      Somehow I still had some hope left in me that we'd see some kind of miracle revival but by now we are way past that point.
      I did enjoy the years I spent playing Hex and while I think Artifact is a pretty clever and interesting game, it won't be what I had hoped for Hex to become one day.
      See you guys in Artifact or some other TCG yet to come and R.I.P Hex.
    • My Friday's update

Keyforge. I think I am hooked even before I play my first game.
      Just bought the starter box to play with some friends. And I really hope FFG will quickly add an official online version of this cards game.
      keyforgegame.com

This week I will play some Artifact. I don't think the game will stick with me. But I guess if some former Hexers want to run some community drafts I will join them.

Also new content for Lord Of The Ring digital card game with a very clever quest and new cards. It is a very good PVE cards game.
    • Merlin wrote:

Ertzi wrote:

I'm kinda hyped about Keyforge as well. Can't find it anywhere though (sold out), so I haven't played it myself yet. The concept it super cool, and based on some videos the gameplay seems decent too.
      It is decent and suprisingly clever. A bit of a rollercoaster while you learn decks, but still feels good.
      But the cool thing is you actually have to learn every deck individually. I can see some decks becoming very precious, if the combination of cards is just right for the owner's playstyle. This sounds really fun to me. I will buy the starter and like five additional decks as soon as I can. Jumping into this completely blind with a friend sounds like a blast. :)
    • I hope you guys enjoy KF. I think a lot of people are going to be disillusioned with it pretty fast. We had a decent turn out for our first event at our small store, but pretty much everyone lost to the guy who went online and bought his deck for $60, and most said it was no contest. People are going to realize pretty quickly that, with power discrepancies, it just means you're shopping online for a powerful deck instead of powerful cards. And once you win enough with one deck, it'll be chained to the ground so the competitive thing to do is go and buy a new power deck. Instead of "Don't buy packs, buy singles online," it'll be "Don't buy sealed decks, buy decklists online."

Maybe you'll have a different experience at your local area. I hope so.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

I hope you guys enjoy KF. I think a lot of people are going to be disillusioned with it pretty fast. We had a decent turn out for our first event at our small store, but pretty much everyone lost to the guy who went online and bought his deck for $60, and most said it was no contest. People are going to realize pretty quickly that, with power discrepancies, it just means you're shopping online for a powerful deck instead of powerful cards. And once you win enough with one deck, it'll be chained to the ground so the competitive thing to do is go and buy a new power deck. Instead of "Don't buy packs, buy singles online," it'll be "Don't buy sealed decks, buy decklists online."

Yeah, this would totally suck. I would never play against a guy who bought his deck online. That's the problem with competitiveness. I think this game will draw in more casual players, like myself. I will only play against my friends, and we will both open the packs at the same time. None of this I-buy-the-best-deck bullshit. If we happen to get a powerful one, so be it. Like with all things collectible, you could go down the rabbit hole with Keyforge and try to chase the best decks. By all means, if someone is stupid enough to do that, let them. I will buy a deck here and there and set up some game nights with friends. Only similar-minded people allowed. That's the key(forge). I don't think this game should be seen through a competitive lens. It will never be its forte. Unless everyone comes into the event with a factory sealed deck. That could be cool.
    • Obsidian wrote:

I hope you guys enjoy KF. I think a lot of people are going to be disillusioned with it pretty fast. We had a decent turn out for our first event at our small store, but pretty much everyone lost to the guy who went online and bought his deck for $60, and most said it was no contest. People are going to realize pretty quickly that, with power discrepancies, it just means you're shopping online for a powerful deck instead of powerful cards. And once you win enough with one deck, it'll be chained to the ground so the competitive thing to do is go and buy a new power deck. Instead of "Don't buy packs, buy singles online," it'll be "Don't buy sealed decks, buy decklists online."

What you said is certainly true.

But at a competitive level, the game have different format and variant counteracting this... and in clever way.
      First you have the sealed format. The joy of surprise at each event.
      But even in the Archon format (bring you own deck format), on competitive play Adaptive variant will be used, even Reversal can be fun in competitive play.

As for casual. The game is built with casual in mind. And it wont be a issue. The OP decks will be put aside because we are amongs friends here.
    • Ertzi wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Yeah, this would totally suck. I would never play against a guy who bought his deck online. That's the problem with competitiveness. I think this game will draw in more casual players, like myself. I will only play against my friends, and we will both open the packs at the same time. None of this I-buy-the-best-deck bullshit. If we happen to get a powerful one, so be it. Like with all things collectible, you could go down the rabbit hole with Keyforge and try to chase the best decks. By all means, if someone is stupid enough to do that, let them. I will buy a deck here and there and set up some game nights with friends. Only similar-minded people allowed. That's the key(forge). I don't think this game should be seen through a competitive lens. It will never be its forte. Unless everyone comes into the event with a factory sealed deck. That could be cool.
      even on casual with friend you can play the adaptative variant to not let power level be in your way to fun.
      You switch deck on round 2 and in round 3 if round 3 you bid chains for the successful deck. More chains less cards to draw... as they do with horses...