Friday Update - A Draconic Month

• Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

So, we discussed Artifact in the last thread. What should we discuss here?
      Anyone's got any info on Keyforge? I read some comments praising it. But I haven't had time to really look into it. I don't think it has a digital port, but I read that it will eventually will? And your paper collection will reflect your digital collection (or, rather, vice versa)?
      You buy presealed decks in a box, its shit.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Anyone's got any info on Keyforge? I read some comments praising it. But I haven't had time to really look into it. I don't think it has a digital port, but I read that it will eventually will? And your paper collection will reflect your digital collection (or, rather, vice versa)?
      I've demo'd and played it at my store. I highly doubt it would appeal to most players here. There is no deckbuilding aspect to it. It's a card game, but you buy randomized decks as a whole and play with that, making it kind of like a sealed tournament game. The idea is to learn to play with what you have and how to win with your own unique deck. Richard Garfield designed it because he never liked the idea of 'net-decking' and wanted people to play with something personalized to themselves. It's definitely a game designed towards light casual play, and is ready to play out of the box. There's no concerns about "Oh, I can't play against player X because my deck is bad and I don't want to spend money on new cards." In theory, even the most casual investment can get you a competitive deck that you could take to a tournament.

In gameplay, from my experience of about a dozen or so games, there's a bit of decision making, but not a whole lot. You always draw back up to 6 cards, so you generally want to play out as many cards as you can in a turn. Every turn you choose which of the three factions from your deck you want to activate for the turn, which is mostly a choice between playing out whichever cards in your hand you have the most of, or making use of what you have on the board. After that, it's kind of rote gameplay of activating each creature and playing each card.

Games like Magic and Hex can also be fairly straightforward to play, since your hand is limited and you typically are just going to play out your curve in a lot of cases, but in TCGs, you can at least put thought and strategy into preparation and deckbuilding. Not so with Keyforge. You take out a deck and hope that it works.

Time will tell on the game, and I'm going to try and give it a fair shot at my store, but I don't have high hopes for it.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Obsidian wrote:

It's a card game, but you buy randomized decks as a whole and play with that, making it kind of like a sealed tournament game.
      What the f_? So changes to decks are illegal? And they have enough different decks, and I mean REALLY different, not "2 copies of X, 3 copies of Y on Deck1 but 3 copies of X, 2 copies of Y on Deck2" kind of different for everyone that will play this game? It sounds terrible. Is this model a thing?
    • Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

It's great. Been playing live since Gencon and via TTS for few months. Just go and get it, it's well worth. It's already out of stock in many places.

No word about official digital port tho. Still cool on paper.
    • Vroengard wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

It's a card game, but you buy randomized decks as a whole and play with that, making it kind of like a sealed tournament game.
      What the f_? So changes to decks are illegal? And they have enough different decks, and I mean REALLY different, not "2 copies of X, 3 copies of Y on Deck1 but 3 copies of X, 2 copies of Y on Deck2" kind of different for everyone that will play this game? It sounds terrible. Is this model a thing?
      There are about 350 cards in the set, divided among 7 'houses' or factions. Each deck consists of 12 cards of 3 different factions. The decks are randomly generated, though they claim there is some oversight or method to including some cards with other cards so that decks have some inherent synergy. I can't really vouch for that so far in my limited experience. Just due to the way combinatorials work, there's quadrillions of unique decks. So yes, there will be decks that are nearly identical with a minor change here or there.

Each deck has a unique card back with a procedurally generated avatar icon and deck name (some of these are truly silly), so as to prevent actual deck construction.

The only real potential I see coming from this model is that cards will feel cheap and disposable since they aren't collectible, which will lend itself to sticker upgrades for your cards! Upgrade your favorite cards, like equipment from Hex! I doubt they'll take that path though.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • ""What they really need(ed) was an affiliate marketing program and let the marketplace bring people here. That's what you do when you don't have in-house folks who
      know what they're doing on the marketing front.""

Back when Phenteo was CM, I reached out to him about running some marketing campaigns. Laid out some preliminary ideas about setting up some media buys and pay per install campaigns I'd be willing to run on my dime. Also mentioned how to implement some referral programs on the end user level as I've done this type of work in the past. He replied positively, and said he'd email me back an NDA to sign and we'd discuss things further. Never received the NDA, even after 2 follow up emails which went ignored way before he left the company. That was the end of that endeavor.
    • AxelDWater wrote:

What should be changed?
      1) The stance on communication.
      2) They need a talented project manager who is willing to make hard decisions.
      3) A focus on interesting ways for people to use cards, rather than simply a focus on 'what can we charge for today?'
      4) A team of coders that is able to actually implement some of the creative stuff they kept talking about before the Enders did their work too well.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • AxelDWater wrote:

I like this topic regarding Kurtis and his wealthy friend.Let's say Hex gets a second chance. What should be changed?
      1. Dev road map: A clear and detailed outline of what is being worked on for the game, how it is going to be implemented, and updated every month.

2. Ban list that actually matters: Do away with the watch list, (which is an excuse for hxe to be lazy) add a limited and semi limited category. (1 of's and two of's respectively.) update it monthly, and unilaterally applied to any and all PVP formats.

3. PVE, PVE, and even more PVE: You know, the thing that the kick starter was sold on? Finish the adventure zones/classes/skill trees, new content on a regular basis (be it new cards, new dungeons, events, maybe even a mini zone now and again.) Frost ring updated regularly, and a mode made for it that will be more friendly to players on a lower tier/that are new.

4. Completely overhauled auction house: Fix the cheapest only option, and add more filters to make finding cards easier.

5. Put siege on a catapult and launch it into the sun. Are there ways to fix it? Yeah probably. However it's caused so much division in the fan base, that I honestly think scrapping the entire thing, and simply allowing people to private challenge each other with PVE cards would be better.

6. Every new set is tested in depth for all limited formats: This shouldn't be as hard as hxe makes it out to be. There are some cards in each set that are too overpowered for the limited scene. Those cards need to be removed, and replaced with a card(s) that better fit the format.

7. Stop treating your community like the enemy: What? Treat the people who buy your products with respect? WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT? Interact with them on the forums/social media, put people who the community likes in positions of influence, better support people who stream your game, venture out onto other streaming sites like mixer, and allow people from both platforms to communicate with each other. That last one would allow a better relationship between players of both sides, because I know a lot of people view the PS4 players like the redheaded step children of HEX.

8. Meaningful weekly updates, that address both PVE and PVP players: I play PVE almost exclusively and I think I can speak for most PVE players, when I say we are sick and tired of being left out of the updates. Use them to piggyback off of your road map, and go into greater detail on what's currently in the works.

9. Make the merry melee formats free to play: A good number of these formats are fun (if not needing a bit of work) but people don't want to pay a buck a pop to play them. If you want to make some money off them, then do a paid tourney at the end of the format rotation.

10. PAY OUT THE DAMN PRIZE MONEY!: Doesn't need to be elaborated on. If someone is owed, pay them.

Hopefully if the rumors are true and HEX gets put in the hands of someone who cares, these will go into effect. I doubt hxe would even sniff in their direction, in fact I'd be shocked if this isn't deleted by the dinobot.
      -Signature deleted by Dino.- :P

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raptos ().

• If anyone did a buy out and was interested in people to help work on lore and writing I would be more than happy to assist with things, as time allows. Its something that always bothered me and something I'd love the chance to address, although its a real shot in the dark for my unqualified ass so is anyone buying the property so...why not?
    • Utremeld wrote:

If anyone did a buy out and was interested in people to help work on lore and writing I would be more than happy to assist with things, as time allows. Its something that always bothered me and something I'd love the chance to address, although its a real shot in the dark for my unqualified ass so is anyone buying the property so...why not?
      There's what truly bugs me about hxe. Their fans are willing to do a major bit of the legwork for them, and for free at that. Yet they continue to crap on the fans and keep them in the dark. The community desperately wants to help save them, and their response is silence.
      -Signature deleted by Dino.- :P
    • Raptos wrote:

2. Ban list that actually matters: Do away with the watch list, (which is an excuse for hxe to be lazy) add a limited and semi limited category. (1 of's and two of's respectively.) update it monthly, and unilaterally applied to any and all PVP formats.
      Not going to comment on much, but this is not right. A card can be weak in limited but strong in constructed. Commons can be overpowered in rock, but too weak in standard. A standard card can be broken in the current standard meta, but noti mpactful at all in immortal.(and any other formats they choose to do could be the same)

Ban lists need to be specific to specific game modes.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Raptos wrote:

The community desperately wants to help save them, and their response is silence.
      In some situations, of which there can be quite a few. There can be just nothing to say.
      But I feel it to Raptos :)

Well I chose to believe that the situation is that they have had to put the game on a low flame for now.
      I have tried some other card games, but they do not satisfy me.
      MTGA also becomes dull and void after some time, like there is no soul to it.

Hex in my eyes compared to other card games has actually been quite generous from the start.
      It is true that there may not be a lot of added content, other then cosmetic now and again.
      But maybe we should take a look around of what you still got.

There is still active help in game.
      We still have a lovely community <3
      Hex is still a wonderful world to take part in.
      I love the Lore, the race's and their culture's truly come to life.

So guess December I shall make an investment in the game.
      Because whatever the reason, the only way to get something out is to put something in.
      It may not be much but every little bit helps.
      The sooner we do that, the sooner others will get their tourney pay to.
      The game can get back on track and we play with big smiles again.

Oh yes things for improvement.
      Let each player have a personal profile in game, with awards, victories and cups.
      Let their be tournament cups of which we can earn for in our profiles.
      You could opt to equip a personal avatar with in game equipment, so you can look pretty in your personal profile. <3
      Make the tournaments result page more dynamic, example if someone wins a match.
      Have a tab run with the winner of the match their name in it, and people clapping sound bite.

Let people feel glorious :)

Thank you for reading
    • Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

Goliathus wrote:

I've demo'd and played it at my store. I highly doubt it would appeal to most players here. There is no deckbuilding aspect to it. It's a card game, but you buy randomized decks as a whole and play with that, making it kind of like a sealed tournament game. The idea is to learn to play with what you have and how to win with your own unique deck. Richard Garfield designed it because he never liked the idea of 'net-decking' and wanted people to play with something personalized to themselves. It's definitely a game designed towards light casual play, and is ready to play out of the box. There's no concerns about "Oh, I can't play against player X because my deck is bad and I don't want to spend money on new cards." In theory, even the most casual investment can get you a competitive deck that you could take to a tournament.
      In gameplay, from my experience of about a dozen or so games, there's a bit of decision making, but not a whole lot. You always draw back up to 6 cards, so you generally want to play out as many cards as you can in a turn. Every turn you choose which of the three factions from your deck you want to activate for the turn, which is mostly a choice between playing out whichever cards in your hand you have the most of, or making use of what you have on the board. After that, it's kind of rote gameplay of activating each creature and playing each card.

Games like Magic and Hex can also be fairly straightforward to play, since your hand is limited and you typically are just going to play out your curve in a lot of cases, but in TCGs, you can at least put thought and strategy into preparation and deckbuilding. Not so with Keyforge. You take out a deck and hope that it works.

Time will tell on the game, and I'm going to try and give it a fair shot at my store, but I don't have high hopes for it.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/257501/keyforge-call-archons

Keyforge has been topping the charts at boardgamegeek this week since release. I'm in for four decks so far, but I'm leaving them sealed until I can get four friends together for a sealed deck tournament where we all just jump into the game blind together. Obsidian gave a reasonable overview, but for competitive play, left out some key details. As one might guess, procedurally generated decks means imbalance is inevitable and Richard was well aware of this. So, every deck gets a QR code to register online so they can track competition stats. There is a handicap system ("chains") that can be applied for decks that perform too well. Chains reduce your maximum hand size and thus your card flow. It seems the most likely competitive mode will be as follows. Player A brings Deck A and plays against Player B with Deck B. After game 1, they swap decks and play again. If there is a Game 3, there is a bidding war (bid = # of chains you will accept) to decide who gets pick of deck for the deciding game. As they build more stats, maybe they can have chains already assigned and no deck swapping will be needed.

As for Hex, I would guess they're so far in the red that the price tag for buying them out might be negative (or just free). It's such a shame the way this all happened. It could have been so much more than it ended up as.
    • AxelDWater wrote:

I like this topic regarding Kurtis and his wealthy friend.Let's say Hex gets a second chance. What should be changed?
      For casual players and PvE:

1) FRA 1.0 is to be returned alongside 2.0. FRA now has four difficulty levels. Very Easy is FRA 1.0, except you can bring mercs and campaign champions. Easy is FRA 1.0. Normal is FRA 2.0 with mercs and campaign champions. Hard is FRA 2.0. Certain rewards are unattainable in Very easy and Easy, and hard mode has improved drop chances over Normal.

2) Gold keeps in Siege reworked. No longer cost gold to put up or attack. Players earn a small amount of gold whenever their keep is attacked. Players get more gold for a successful defense. Balance is shifted harshly in favour of the playing side: Gold keep defenders can only use standard legal cards and champions, whereas attackers can use mercs, campaign champs and any card in the game.

Gold reward for beating a keep is based on an initial value calculated based on the number of uncommons and rares, multiplied by the keep's success rate in defense. Therefor, if your keep has a higher success rate, it becomes worth more. If your deck is designed to always lose, its value gradually drops to 0.

EDIT: Additionally, you get three 'suggested keeps' at all times, which are randomly chosen among keeps with varying win/loss rates. You get slightly more gold for challenging these suggested keeps. Whenever you beat a suggested keep, all suggested keeps are replaced with new ones.

Plat keeps stay the way they are.

3) AZ3 and the last champion classes to be added.

4) Optionally, some more renewable content to be introduced, preferably with large quantities of variables to make sure no two runs are the same. For example, dungeons with randomly selected encounters, with won encounters adding favourable modifiers to subsequent battles.

5) Monetised cosmetics: Alt art for champs, animated champs and mercs. Animated card backs. Alternative battle boards. Etc.

EDIT: I edited in an extra feature for gold keeps.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Firellius ().

• how about getting rid of that illusionary form card?
      That is the most ridiculous card when used with the manti to sit and watch your deck get buried and not be able to make a move. That is a joke. I took a break from hex because of that kind of stupidness. Just returned to see that is still there.