I have two questions for you guys.

    • I have two questions for you guys.

      First the easy one. I much preferred the last set of gems to the current one. Having to have a prismatic minion in play is such a high ask for such a small reward. So my question is: Will we ever get new gems to socket?

      Second: I've played a buttton of the campaign. But, I have never gotten into Ruby. All the races that have a Ruby preference I just feel are gimped.

      About the only card I even like in Ruby is Ruby Aura (gives +1atk and swiftstrike.) and even that isn't good enough to want me to splash in Ruby. So, what is wrong with me? Is Ruby just shit? Or am I missing something? Tell me what you like about Ruby and which cards you think are good in the Campaign mode.

      Thanks in advance.
    • JazzfanTwentySev wrote:

      First the easy one. I much preferred the last set of gems to the current one. Having to have a prismatic minion in play is such a high ask for such a small reward. So my question is: Will we ever get new gems to socket?
      Gems rotate every odd set. The current gems arrived with set 9. We will get new gems when set 11 is out, if set 11 ever comes out.

      JazzfanTwentySev wrote:

      So, what is wrong with me? Is Ruby just shit? Or am I missing something? Tell me what you like about Ruby and which cards you think are good in the Campaign mode.
      Ruby isn't shit. Ruby is a different mindset. You have to want to be much more aggro when you play Ruby. Some staples like Burn, Burn to the Ground, Burning Tendrils are there to deal damage directly to the champion as well as damage based removal for troops, and then you have the aggressive troops like Mama Yeti, Boltspasm, Hired Horn Cutthroat that hit hard and early.

      There's not much subtlety in Ruby*, at its core, what Ruby attempts to do is to end the match before the opponent has the time to stabilize. If

      * Yes, I know Ruby can have deep and complex gameplay, but the shard identity of Ruby is aggressiveness and direct damage.
    • Fred wrote:

      JazzfanTwentySev wrote:

      First the easy one. I much preferred the last set of gems to the current one. Having to have a prismatic minion in play is such a high ask for such a small reward. So my question is: Will we ever get new gems to socket?
      Gems rotate every odd set. The current gems arrived with set 9. We will get new gems when set 11 is out, if set 11 ever comes out.

      JazzfanTwentySev wrote:

      So, what is wrong with me? Is Ruby just shit? Or am I missing something? Tell me what you like about Ruby and which cards you think are good in the Campaign mode.
      Ruby isn't shit. Ruby is a different mindset. You have to want to be much more aggro when you play Ruby. Some staples like Burn, Burn to the Ground, Burning Tendrils are there to deal damage directly to the champion as well as damage based removal for troops, and then you have the aggressive troops like Mama Yeti, Boltspasm, Hired Horn Cutthroat that hit hard and early.
      There's not much subtlety in Ruby*, at its core, what Ruby attempts to do is to end the match before the opponent has the time to stabilize. If

      * Yes, I know Ruby can have deep and complex gameplay, but the shard identity of Ruby is aggressiveness and direct damage.
      #1: This is sad. I ask the powers that be to leave us with better gems if the state of the game is never going to change again. Can't be that hard to roll back some previous options.

      #2: I've never been an aggro player. I don't enjoy aggro. I don't enjoy playing against aggro. I think folks that do are probably just a little sadistic at heart. But, I do understand why a card game needs aggro. To help keep combo in check. But, there is NO keeping in check in campaign mode. So, why anyone would want to play aggro in campaign unless they are just grinding for gold is beyond me. And I've never been one to enjoy grinding either. So, maybe from where I sit, Ruby is shit. I think they could have easily added some more fun non-aggro elements to Ruby without diluting shard identity too much.

      I'll concede that the problem is probably me when it comes to Ruby.
    • JazzfanTwentySev wrote:

      #2: I've never been an aggro player. I don't enjoy aggro. I don't enjoy playing against aggro. I think folks that do are probably just a little sadistic at heart. But, I do understand why a card game needs aggro. To help keep combo in check. But, there is NO keeping in check in campaign mode. So, why anyone would want to play aggro in campaign unless they are just grinding for gold is beyond me. And I've never been one to enjoy grinding either. So, maybe from where I sit, Ruby is shit. I think they could have easily added some more fun non-aggro elements to Ruby without diluting shard identity too much.
      I'll concede that the problem is probably me when it comes to Ruby.
      This is funny to me as I have seen a lot of Magic Arena folks are yelling at absolute late game control being the sadistic one, and here you are talking about the opposite.

      To be fair though, Ruby can sometime be used in control, just maybe not the current meta. At least that's how I remember it, I have not played for long.
    • New

      Dekroma wrote:

      This thread... being about actually playing the game... legit about broke my heart :/

      Fuck.
      I miss playing the game, and threads like this reinforce that... :(



      just... I don't miss it enough that I'm going to support their current attitude of non-engagement by bolstering their numbers.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • New

      Xocoys ability without equips, without mercs, and without class specific gems, are amazing enough to be played in PVE decks for as long as it's been out, 2 major direct nerfs and one indirect and it's still up there. Second Combat Phase effects just end games.

      Ruby is... efficient. If you want to make a ton of gold to buy cards, or farm a dungeon for specific drops, ruby is a great way to do that. Ruby is best in Hex for a Give up as many advantages as I can and still win, smaller hand sizes in exchange for ramp and direct damage (Elf Warrior) you can turn 1 or turn 2 Xocoy, alternatively you can just go wide with cheap troops, or curve out perfectly into efficient troops like Mama or Skarn. I haven't seen a great burn deck, but there are a few mercs that have a ton of potential for yet another Ruby deck, Cardboard Tube Samurai probably being the best choice - though hard to obtain.
    • New

      So, I did 2 things I don't usually do. #1 - Started a mage char. #2 - played with Ruby.

      I ended up with an Elf deck. And it is fun!

      I don't even have a lot of good elf cards, but enough to build a deck that works. I might have to start browsing the AH for new Elves to try out.


      See, ruby isn't so bad. Someone should have told me elves were fun. C'mon fellas! Help a brother out.