Presentation vs mechanics

• Answer: It's the playerbase. As a product, today, MTGA is worst than Hex. Both in card quality, client software (although MTGA has some interesting things), and modes availables. Period. However, one it's a success and one is going to die.

If the Hex economy was an issue, the MTGA's model is PLAIN worst. The only difference is that it has a "sense of progression" for new players superior to Hex, because they throw you some more packs and gold at the beginning, but they're useless. Also, more players means a more "newbie friendly" first experience, since you're playing against players with the same card pool, so you don't get that feeling of p2w when you play against a t1 deck. But once you passed that, the MTGA model is too restrictive. If you want a decent constructed deck you'll have to craft those wildcards, and then you'll find yourself needing a lot of uncommon and common wildcards for crap or sideboard cards.

And then again, you'll have to pay a lot year after year since rotation and new sets in MTG happens too fast.

But then again, I want to play a TCG, and I love the Hex/MTG core mechanics, so not switching to other games. So, MTGA it is. I should be playing Hex, but I don't want to play a game that is going to end sooner than later.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • Launch periods aren't great indicators to go by. You can get huge numbers on brand power and marketing dollars alone. Let's see how it fares ((and whether it can sustain huge playerbase) when people realize it's not as F2P friendly as it seems at the start. Polish is not on the level of HS but probably eclipsed Hex in many areas in terms of UI especially. I tried making a deck to play on the ladder but junky decks cost as much as any top tier one due to the wildcard system. I can't even make a Rock deck of my choice right now without putting in much more money. A free draft every 5 days or so if you grind dailies is fine, always thought Hex should have made it easier for ppl to grind towards drafts but their F2P system ended up being too convoluted.

Overall it's still much better than MTGO in terms of polish and experience so it should do fine if the devs keep improving it.

Edit: Plotynus conveyed my thoughts above better than me.
    • I'm personally of the opinion that a successful card game is either going to require a successful brand to secure a playerbase going in, or a miracle.

That's why most of the dcgs(digital card games) we see taking off are Warcraft, Witcher, Lord of the Rings, Magic, etc

Polish is, of course, super important - especially post-Hearthstone - but it is the starting audience that gives the time for the mechanics/polish/etc. to work.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • MTGA is far from perfect, but has improved a lot over the past few months. When I first logged in, only quick match was available and I with the wipe incoming I didn't play much. 3/4 months later and draft, sealed, singleton, and competitive constructed are all available next to quick play. So that's a ton of additions to the game already in a few months. If they continue adding features every few weeks MTGA should have a bright future, giving many different CG players a mode they will like. The most important feature they should add sooner than later is a friend list and option to vs your friends, and they already stated to be working on it.

The economy structure is vastly different from Hex and therefore they're hard to compare. Granted, for a purely F2P player it takes a while to get enough gold for drafts, and their store is full of predatory pricing when it comes to gems, but if I would invest the same amount I invested in Hex($10-20 per month), I should definitely get my money's worth as a mostly limited player. With enough luck and skill you can go infinite, but I most likely need dailies and maybe small investments every period to keep going infinite. But this model is not for everyone. Based on the successes and failures of other online card games, I wouldn't fault WoTC to use this model. Overall, it simply attracts more players and eventually will earn you more cash.

Also, the lack of PvE which many players loved in Hex is not in MGTA and will probably never be made (but a guy can hope!). Let's hope Thronebreaker will do nicely and eventually MTGA might add a similar feature!
    • My only real complaint with MTGA, polish wise, is that the autotapper is a pain in the ass. I want it on, because screw clicking 6 extra times to cast a spell, but in situations where it matters what I tap, I often forget to press the "full control" hotkey before casting. But that's my only option, other than completely disabling it.

Otherwise, it's pretty much fine as a digital MTG implementation, I'm comfortably infinite on drafts after an initial $5 purchase, and DOM and GRN have been reasonably fun formats. They're not as good as Shards of Fate or Scars of War, but they're close enough to keep me sane.
    • I am waiting 6 or 7 months to see how mtga shakes out. By then some rotations will occur and I should have a good idea whether the game has legs. Mechanically, something about the partially cut cards on the screen bothers me. But being able to hover over the cards on twitch and getting a pop up seems magical to me.
    • Thoom wrote:

My only real complaint with MTGA, polish wise, is that the autotapper is a pain in the ass. I want it on, because screw clicking 6 extra times to cast a spell, but in situations where it matters what I tap, I often forget to press the "full control" hotkey before casting. But that's my only option, other than completely disabling it.

Otherwise, it's pretty much fine as a digital MTG implementation, I'm comfortably infinite on drafts after an initial $5 purchase, and DOM and GRN have been reasonably fun formats. They're not as good as Shards of Fate or Scars of War, but they're close enough to keep me sane.
      To be fair to the auto tapper its helped by it highlighting what lands will tap when you hover over a card and you can also manually tap some of the lands and let it take care of the rest. While it shouldn't always leave up field of ruin, monuments etc. you can coax it in to being more co-operative by tapping those special lands when you don't want to hold up the effect / don't have the spare mana.

Biggest parts of MTGA that sucks for me is no friend list / private matches and no two headed giant. Really sucks they got rid of those considering they seemed relatively popular in the duels games. Even just bashing into a mediocre AI was fun in those games just because they were co-op.