Friday Update - Etch a Sketch

• The only reason I can imagine why they would do that is that they are trying to kill the game as quietly as possible by slowly deactivating services one by one (first removing VIP, then make that no Bashes or Clashes fire due to new limit).

It would also fit with them saying that they would delay set 10 for 2 months but after almost 3 months there is no follow-up on that.
      HEX forums resident liker.
    • ReluxTheRelux wrote:

The only reason I can imagine why they would do that is that they are trying to kill the game as quietly as possible by slowly deactivating services one by one (first removing VIP, then make that no Bashes or Clashes fire due to new limit).

It would also fit with them saying that they would delay set 10 for 2 months but after almost 3 months there is no follow-up on that.
      I agree with what you are saying, but my question is why are they doing it that way. If hex is truly bankrupt they could just close down now. Closing now seems a more honorable way of going out. Prolongling it the way they are I guess helps people forget about the game before it closes down, but I am not sure that is much of a positive.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

ReluxTheRelux wrote:

The only reason I can imagine why they would do that is that they are trying to kill the game as quietly as possible by slowly deactivating services one by one (first removing VIP, then make that no Bashes or Clashes fire due to new limit).

I agree with what you are saying, but my question is why are they doing it that way. If hex is truly bankrupt they could just close down now. Closing now seems a more honorable way of going out. Prolongling it the way they are I guess helps people forget about the game before it closes down, but I am not sure that is much of a positive.
      I am thinking about it everyday.. All their latest doings, decisions etc. It is really depressing...
      That Cory is currently in search of investors I think it's true...
      That explains their stalling tactics...
      Merry Melee's rotation is a slow microtransaction strategy. They slowly (really slowly) circulate excess plat, but mostly they depend on PS4 players that can only buy plat, unless they sell cards. So there is a minor income. Just enough to keep the game alive. And the cheese in this occasion are sleeves. If people like them, they may buy some plat. But my question is, how much is the cost of keeping the servers up? I have zero knowledge on that, except that I googled a bit and approximately it's around 100k annualy, something that may be wrong (if someone knows, please enlighten me). But since there are no money for art, how there are money to keep the servers up? This makes me assume that either they have prepaid a years fees so the clock is ticking down slowly, or that they may have some sort of agreement with Sony, who helps to keeps them up.
      So after Merry Melee, I guess the next step is make something good out of VIP so maybe again have income from PS4 players and those of us who still have hope and enjoy playing.
      Then, we have the Bash/Clash move. I think it is a good decision, cause all that plat were hurting the already hurt economy.
      On the other hand, it's like they are handling us the responsibility to either gather 16+ people or not play at all. But, the fact that almost no one is playing is their fault to begin with.
      Also, people cashing out... I had the thought that maybe,maybe IF the game eventually survives, the economy may stabilize cause all those cashing out will spend their plat to sell packs.
      Nevermind, just want to share some mixed up thoughts, not trying to make a point here.
      And still, I believe in a miracle.
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • The investor theory or hex handing over some type of control to another company is the only thing that makes sense imo. Otherwise it seems wiser to shut down if bankruptcy is an option.

Axel, I also agree that the massive selling out and minimum player requirement for the tourneys will stabilize the economy if the game brings in new content.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

The investor theory or hex handing over some type of control to another company is the only thing that makes sense imo. Otherwise it seems wiser to shut down if bankruptcy is an option.

Axel, I also agree that the massive selling out and minimum player requirement for the tourneys will stabilize the economy if the game brings in new content.
      BTW does anyone know him much approx. do the servers cost?
      *dreamtheory: how much I would love an open discussion with hexent.
      Like, you know, they come clean about what is going on, then they share their ideas on how they think acting, then we as a community give em our opinions, cause we know better I think, since we are the customers and we know where to focus, but we don't even have the basic level of communication sadly...
      *dreamtheory2: Is anyone friends with Bill Gates? :P
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

• I feel bad for Dinobot in all this. With no more bashes and clashes firing, he only has to copy and paste an article with no new content in it once a week instead of twice a week. They just slashed his work hours in half! From 2 minutes, all the way down to 1 minute. The pay cut must be devastating to his livelihood...
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Fred wrote:

AxelDWater wrote:

BTW does anyone know him much approx. do the servers cost?
      From my limited knowledge of the server infrastructure from chatting with Chris, I would estimate that at somewhere between $4000 and $5000 a month at its peak. They probably cut that by half or more from lower activity by now.
      So it's approximately 50k per year?
      Wish I could help but my income is not even nearly half of that.
      Sometimes I think that because there are people who love and believe in this game so much, it could end up being crowdfunded, the servers I mean.

• Pandaemonium wrote:

The investor theory or hex handing over some type of control to another company is the only thing that makes sense imo. Otherwise it seems wiser to shut down if bankruptcy is an option.
      I used to hope that this was the case, but their behavior doesn't make sense if they're actively shopping the game or pitching to investors. In both of those scenarios you want the game to have some very appealing element to it that you are showing customers actively engage. Driving away your playerbase does not make you more appealing to anyone with a checkbook. If they did an abrupt halt to premium currency and went to a truly free game just to push player numbers, that would make some sense. If they were eating losses and pumping out content to court players so as to showcase the depth of the engagement, that would make sense. Even if you really couldn't do anything but you at least kept communication lines open and communicated earnestly (and in good faith) so that your existing [loyal] fans stay engaged, that would make sense. What doesn't make sense is what they are doing. There is no end-game I can think of where the current path is the best choice.

I don't know if any of you have dealt with depression at all, but it sucks. It has a way of draining your spirit that I am not nearly eloquent enough to make relatable to anyone who hasn't felt it. You lose your fire, your passion; it becomes easy to give up on things. It becomes hard to find joy in stuff that you typically look forward to.
      If Hex Ent was a literal human, this would be a textbook case. Their fire dying out, their passion turning to apathy, the unwillingness to fight, the lack of excitement...but the thing that stands out most to me is the logic-defying refusal to face everyone. It is - in my limited experience - very much "par for the course" to see your dying dream, see the hurt and crushed souls in the wake of your failure, and to become utterly paralyzed by it all. It almost becomes a physical impossibility to engage anything of meaning because you know you can't save it but you also know you can't let it go. It is apathy to the Nth degree.

I'm an analyst, not a doctor, and this isn't my attempt at some sort of diagnosis. I guess what I'm saying is that as much as I don't get their decisions, I think that maybe I do? I mean I empathize with it. I've been there. I bounced back. Companies don't usually get that second chance.
    • Hidden wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

I used to hope that this was the case, but their behavior doesn't make sense if they're actively shopping the game or pitching to investors. In both of those scenarios you want the game to have some very appealing element to it that you are showing customers actively engage. Driving away your playerbase does not make you more appealing to anyone with a checkbook. If they did an abrupt halt to premium currency and went to a truly free game just to push player numbers, that would make some sense. If they were eating losses and pumping out content to court players so as to showcase the depth of the engagement, that would make sense. Even if you really couldn't do anything but you at least kept communication lines open and communicated earnestly (and in good faith) so that your existing [loyal] fans stay engaged, that would make sense. What doesn't make sense is what they are doing. There is no end-game I can think of where the current path is the best choice.
      I don't know if any of you have dealt with depression at all, but it sucks. It has a way of draining your spirit that I am not nearly eloquent enough to make relatable to anyone who hasn't felt it. You lose your fire, your passion; it becomes easy to give up on things. It becomes hard to find joy in stuff that you typically look forward to.
      If Hex Ent was a literal human, this would be a textbook case. Their fire dying out, their passion turning to apathy, the unwillingness to fight, the lack of excitement...but the thing that stands out most to me is the logic-defying refusal to face everyone. It is - in my limited experience - very much "par for the course" to see your dying dream, see the hurt and crushed souls in the wake of your failure, and to become utterly paralyzed by it all. It almost becomes a physical impossibility to engage anything of meaning because you know you can't save it but you also know you can't let it go. It is apathy to the Nth degree.

I'm an analyst, not a doctor, and this isn't my attempt at some sort of diagnosis. I guess what I'm saying is that as much as I don't get their decisions, I think that maybe I do? I mean I empathize with it. I've been there. I bounced back. Companies don't usually get that second chance.
      I really liked this post and 100% agree with you that depression can cause a illogical refusal to face someone. Very poignant and very true.

Depression or some type of illogical behavior could be the reason nothing is being done. My devils advocate argument is that if they tried something new and it failed while looking for investors, then it could cause a problem.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pandaemonium ().

• or they have just writen it off and let is die out. Bound by contracts to those hosters of their servers, they have to maintain them anyway so they keep HEX running with minimal effort and when those contracts expire they just announce they shut down the game.

Thats what is happening i think.