Petition to kill off the unpopular formats

    • Petition to kill off the unpopular formats

      I was talking with reeplay about this, the game has taken too much a scattershot approach trying to please everybody and in the process diluted the playerbase over too many formats.


      These are all the "Queues" in hex:
      FRA
      Campaign,
      Siege
      Sealed Gauntlet
      Ranked
      Draft 0 wins,
      Draft 1 win,
      Draft 2 wins,
      Evo 0 wins,
      Evo 1 or 2 wins,
      Evo 3 or 4 wins,
      Merry Melee
      Immortal

      The playerbase is not big enough to support that many queues, and frankly, has never been. The problem is that Joe Schmoe ps4 player comes in and queues up for evo and doesn't find a match, which then makes him give up and not try again, and even leave the game. This has to stop, and stop now.

      At bare minimum, sealed gauntlet and immortal must be culled asap, nobody plays them and we don't even want people trying to queue for them and think "forget this." Reeplay also suggested that draft should not pair on wins anymore. I think this is an acceptable approach for the time being, so that at least it fires more often and people can play a game when they want. Let's do it Cory!
    • Yeah I think the queue problem is a big one and is only making the game look worse.

      Even the largest games try to keep less than 6 or 7 queues up at a time.

      Sealed and Immortal are obvious choices. Sealed was never that popular but since the switch to Bo3 it has gotten even worse, and evo is very similar to sealed anyway.
      I know immortal is linked to hex primal but the fact is in the games current state immortal just doesn't work. The prize is based on a gauntlet from almost 3 years before it when the packs made it worth playing but now with Bash+Clash, Cosmic coins, ladder and to an extent Account leveling they can't hold it anymore. At the very least the mode may be helped if it affected ladder rank so it is easier for players to justify playing it over ladder.

      On draft which icecon pointed out. Removing the win based pairings would make the queue much easier for players to finish. Since decks aren't changing like in evo it makes much more sense for players to be paired like the other asyn queues. I assume the whole reason it even pairs on wins is because of the prize structure but when so many players are splitting and so many are put off it to begin with it's clear the structure isn't winning anyone other.

      This is one is a pretty big suggestion. Make all on demand queues Bo1 including ranked. The whole point of Async is for convenience to the player. Bo3 means the player has to be ready for 20 minutes and potentially more. Being Bo1 can bring that down to 5 to 10 minutes depending on your deck. Not to mention the faster players finish a game the faster they can queue again.

      That's just my thoughts on it. It wouldn't be a fix to the game obviously but it would help the game look less bad.
    • I've always liked the sealed format but definitely think best of 3 doesn't work. switching back to best of 1 would work better. Immortal isn't really impacting anyone since not enough players go there anyway. Longer term with enough sets it will get more popular. just not sure the prize structure is right. evo obviously gets the numbers but it is a new player format. when I go into evo the pairings of experienced players versus new players just does not feel right and leads to frustration.
    • FRA Campaign and Siege are not "Queues". A queue, in this context, means waiting for another human player to be matched with you.

      The list doesn't include the direct challenge. If you want to include things like FRA, Campaign and Siege, just rename yo "Game Options" and include the direct challenging too.

      PS4 players don't even have the options of FRA, Campaign and direct challenging, which must be taken into consideration before any decision is reached.

      In my opinion, 1. PvE options do not retract from PvP options if you didn't have the PvE options the players would rather not play at all, they wouldn't magically play PvP and 2. Immortal queue and Sealed deck are so underpopulated that don't practically take players off from other queues.

      If there're any problems with EVO and draft, I am sure that someone could easily adjust the timer to widen the option to look for an opponent with a different score (system already does that). Now, if it takes 1.5 hrs to find an EVO opponent at 0-0 (the system should start looking for other scores within minutes) then that means there is no one playing EVO and, therefore, no measure you can think of will change that.

      Merry Mellee is retarded, how it asks for $1 to play while giving the same sleeve reward BUT changing it will be admitting they made a mistake and they don't do that. Also, it is unclear if those that play the casual formats would play anything else. Even EVO is competitive (ladder rank).
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

      AxelDWater wrote:

      It would be better if they fired at a fixed time, let's say every hour or 30 mins.
      Just as an aside, another ccg with a fraction of the player base of hex has their drafts fire regularly because the tournaments only fire once an hour.
      I know, that's why I mentioned it. It would be great, for example, if they had multiple rooms for people to gather every hour or half. Those that are left out because the room is not full to fire, are prioritized for the next hour.
      Not only our playerbase is slowly diminishing, those who want to play l, can't play.
      I don't play draft or evo for this reason. I can't wait doing nothing. Sometimes even I don't play standard if I have to wait for a more than a couple of minutes.
      I think that with their next whatever update, this should be a priority. Start salvaging slowly from little important things, IF they indeed have a backup plan.
      The Wardens of Entrath is a large, open to public community of Hex enthusiasts with a mission to help and support Hex players and content creators alike!

      Find us on our Discord server or website!
    • Sigh this is why I don't post here often anymore.
      You're allowed to be frustrated, you're allowed to not be happy.
      But going into every thread and saying something along the lines of 'game dead don't bother' helps no one. It makes the game even more miserable to be around. You got a problem? cool make a dedicated thread about it. But it's a joke that the same people are going into every friday post, every thread and saying the same thing.
      Hex has done stuff wrong. That does not mean the player can't do stuff wrong either. The term 'two wrongs don't make a right' applies perfectly to this situation.
      If you aren't happy leave. Don't try to drag the game down for those who still enjoy it.

      And yes this is directed @Ossuary and @Pandaemonium in this thread. There's other examples in other threads
      The 'game dead' posts are not constructive or even criticism and haven't been for months. It is an attempt to bring down a game simply because you don't like it anymore.
      If people want to offer a suggestion let them. It doesn't hurt you and it's just a show that there are people who still care about the game. I don't go into every 'dead game' thread and say 'game not dead me like it'.
    • Blame hex on the lack of communication not some idiot like me who is a random Joe on the forums. Reeplay would you tell your best friend to invest money in this game right now?

      Hex has had alot of opportunities to fix the queue problem and there has been zero discussion by them. Arguing with each other does no good.

      Edit the game may not be dead, but it is not in good shape. If you dont like people repeating that then report it to the mods.
    • Reeplay wrote:

      But going into every thread and saying something along the lines of 'game dead don't bother' helps no one.
      It would only need for the HXE dev team to go public and talk about their plans to fix the game for everything to stop. They are allowing the quoted behaviour with their deafening silence.

      Reeplay wrote:

      But it's a joke that the same people are going into every friday post, every thread and saying the same thing.
      Leave Dinobot out of this (see what I did there?).

      Reeplay wrote:

      The 'game dead' posts are not constructive or even criticism and haven't been for months.
      The 5 years of constructive criticism were ignored. The few months of non-constructive criticism did nothing to the wellbeing of the game.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

      Blame hex on the lack of communication not some idiot like me who is a random Joe on the forums. Reeplay would you tell your best friend to invest money in this game right now?

      Hex has had alot of opportunities to fix the queue problem and there has been zero discussion by them. Arguing with each other does no good.
      Well first of all I would never call anything spent on a game an investment. But if they were considering to spend money it would be the same answer it always is from me 'if you enjoy it then go for it'. The state of a game is redundant to if someone spends money to me, it's always decided by if they enjoy it because really that's the only thing that matters when it comes to video games. If a game shuts down 2 months after they brought something great they got 2 months of fun from the money spent.

      And I didn't take away any blame from hex. I just said that it doesn't make the players innocent. Players can affect a games success as well as the devs themselves. And when every thread is filled with 'dead game' that is going to negatively affect the game regardless of what the devs do. In the same way how some games can succeed because of players.

      And hex doesn't need to have a discussion on any kind of suggestion publicly on the forums. They can but there's nothing that says need for it. They may only talk about stuff internally or they may not. Either way though there's nothing wrong with someone throwing out the suggestion if they like the idea of it. Nothing happens from not trying but something may happen if they do try. If you disagree with the suggestion the person throws out then sure explain why you disagree with it but in a thread on that suggestion keep the topic on that suggestion.
    • I agree with alot of what you said and I also agree that the forums should be civil and discussions should be had rather than "no you are wrong" or "ironic and incorrect you post is" or "I used to respect you, but you should move on and get a life. Guess what neither you nor I are saying those things, someone else is.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

      I agree with alot of what you said and I also agree that the forums should be civil and discussions should be had rather than "no you are wrong" or "ironic and incorrect you post is" or "I used to respect you, but you should move on and get a life. Guess what neither you nor I are saying those things, someone else is.
      Well yeah neither of us have done it in this thread so far.
      And you're responding to icecon. Who in tern was responding to ossuary who came into the thread to do nothing except try to harm the game. I don't see you calling ossuary out on it, in fact you liked this post which implies you agree with him posting it. In an ideal world hex would actually enforce its rules and have removed ossuarys post but hex has always had incredibly lax rule keeping and in this case it's sort of left to the users to moderate themselves.
      As far as icecons response to you were incorrect in that icecon never said to remove PvE queues and instead pointed out that they are a factor in splitting the playerbase. (A lot of people in this thread seem to be misunderstanding the use of the word queue to be literally a queue when its intend use in this instance is that of a place where a player can play the game). And his ironic point is probably made due to you having a history of posting unrelated points to the thread. It may not be constructive or criticism but it's also not false either.

      Here's the thing I don't agree with Icecon's response, ideally if he had a problem with Ossuary he should have messaged him or even more ideally ossuary's post would have been removed but at the same time he is responding to someone who intentionally tried to derail the thread. Two wrongs don't make a right still applies but he also wasn't the one who started, he had started the thread with good intentions and you are choosing to go at him for responding than the person who did the original wrong.
      If moderation was done properly Ossuarys post, icecon's response, your response and my posts on the subject would be removed but they won't be.