Please stop the 44, 111, and 311 buyout scam.

• AceBladewing wrote:

They've made a lot of promises they've failed to deliver on, so I think it's reasonable to not blindly believe everything promised and wait until it arrives to give praise until it's shown to be good.

For one example: how about those awesome double backs tacking individual card stats that were promised?
      Things change as time goes by. I draw a line between "recently announced" and "promised in the kickstarter campaign".
    • Bunk wrote:

Dont any of you ever try complaining when some scam artist sells your Grandmother that amazing cubic zirconium "diamond" for half her life savings as an investment. Buyer beware!

Do we really want a community that defends antisocial behaviour? Don't complain the next time someone losing to you in a match pulls the wait 4:59 to act routine.
      I never would complain on either point.

I might joke about someone being afraid of me by pullign the 5 minute to act routine, but I'd never straight up complain because I appreciate the system since I've had really good games because of people who took almost 5 minutes to reconnect after a disconnect. The positives outweigh the negatives to me. As do the positives of having a true free market outweigh the negatives of 'a few people have the opportunity to try to scam people'.

Once we start curating prices, it's no longer a free market. Once we start dictating how people can and can't sell, then we can't try to claim we have a true free market. And that'd be a huge loss.

That being said, they absolutely need to make changes to the way the auction house displays to minimize the EFFECTIVENESS of these scams. Adjust the font, change the default sort, absolutely. But I do not agree with any attempt to curate the auction house. That's just a bad idea.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Timlagor wrote:

Winds wrote:

Not that different, both involve one careless person (buyer who did not read properly/seller who did not post properly) and one person (buyer who keep refreshing AH to find deals in gold that should be in plat / seller who post misleading figures) who is looking to take advantage of said careless person. I just don't understand why one party should be punished but not the other.
      You don't have to constantly refresh to happen to be the one who catches the gold bargain.
      Valid point about reversing transactions impracticalities - I just responded quickly cos I don't mind if it happens but the issues aren't really insurmountable if they actually wanted to.
      You also don't have to be looking to take advantage when you post a buyout of 311 but the fact remains for both that it does happen.

Reversing transactions are impractical. 1 sec after it happens, sure, that's easy. But if you posted a ticket on support, wait for an answer (used to be 1 business day, now lots of complaints of delays) and it goes to days or weeks. After one day, that thing could have changed hands lots of times and the plat used up. I sell X for 311p, use all the 311p to buy A/B/C before support manage to process the claim. What do you reverse now? make my account have negative plat? reverse all the A/B/C I purchased, creating more victims in the process (prices changed, A/B/C could have dropped price by then and those sellers might not be able to sell them for that price again)? What if they also do not have plat cos they used the proceeds of the sales to buy other things? Go down the chain?
    • Eraia wrote:

The positives outweigh the negatives to me. As do the positives of having a true free market outweigh the negatives of 'a few people have the opportunity to try to scam people'.

Once we start curating prices, it's no longer a free market. Once we start dictating how people can and can't sell, then we can't try to claim we have a true free market. And that'd be a huge loss.
      Seriously?

Read the first post of this thread. The entire basis of this scam is the "curating prices" which CZE already does. If we actually had a "true free market" this scam wouldn't exist in this form (or at the very least, would be a lot less effective).
    • Winds,

The buyout scam and currency confusion have similar intentions but different causes and effects, except for the common effect of someone taking unfair advantage of someone else's mistake.

In the buyout scam:
      • The causes are bad typography and the minimum platinum prices.
      • The effects are:
        1. The seller takes unfair advantage of the buyer's mistake,
        2. The seller spams the auction house with cards with 44, 111, and 311 platinum buyout prices, and
        3. The success rate seems profitable because the seller doesn't have to look for victims. They spam the auction house with cards every 48 hours and let the victims to come to them.
      In confusing gold for platinum (but not platinum for gold):
      • The causes are the seller can use 2 currencies, their exchange rate is far from 1:1 (currently about 200:1), and their icons are small and next to each other in the sell screen.
      • The effects are:
        1. The buyer takes unfair advantage of the seller's mistake,
        2. Nobody spams the auction house, and
        3. The success rate seems unprofitable because the buyer have to look for victims. In my experience, I have only seen one card with this problem, where someone accidentally bought 8 copies of Clash of Steel for 100 to 280 gold instead of platinum between Oct 30, 2016 and March 1, 2017. It's a smaller problem than the buyout scam.

I think this currency confusion should have its own thread thread because it probably has different solutions. If you start one, then I will read it.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Perandus ().

• icecon wrote:

PATCH NOTES V1.0.5.039

• The Auction House now defaults to sorting by lowest buyout instead of lowest bid

Today, is a beautiful, just day.

Many kudos and thanks to the devs for being wonderful, hard working people.
      Kismet, Cory, and Corey be praised!

It has been so long in coming. So very long.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

icecon wrote:

PATCH NOTES V1.0.5.039

• The Auction House now defaults to sorting by lowest buyout instead of lowest bid

Today, is a beautiful, just day.

Many kudos and thanks to the devs for being wonderful, hard working people.
      Kismet, Cory, and Corey be praised!

It has been so long in coming. So very long.
      It's just the beginning too. :)
      Hex: Shards of Fate KS | Producer | Bounty of the Magus Highlands Magus

"Hoarded or shared, knowledge is the most fearsome weapon of all."
      "The Magi of the Carloth highlands are renowned for their enthusiasm and generosity."
      "Speed is far more important than size when determining the power of a strike."
      "One needs no armor if both your mind and your fist are faster than your enemy's."