Please stop the 44, 111, and 311 buyout scam.

    • This isn't a scam.
      The buyer got the item for the advertised price. That there was a better price availabe does not change that, and trying to police prices will lead to a dead marketplace.

      Sorting by lowest buyout by default (or at least making it clear what you have sorted by in the UI) is a good idea for unrelated reasons.
    • They added commas which helped a lot but it is a bit strange they didn't fix the spacing at the same time.

      There definitely a big difference between the guy who accidentally puts in an extra digit occasionally and the one who routinely posts for these amounts -and a quick check will easily see if the prices are also excessive.
    • Aiyers wrote:

      Most people don't buy cards you can get for a couple hundred gold in platinum. I think people are using this as a way to launder platinium without making it look completely obvious that that is what they are doing.
      There's a different phenomenon with people buying cards for ridiculous prices -if that's their intent it's stunningly dumb since they stand out so glaringly. Checking people's mail for plat transfers has to be much harder to pick dodgy things out of.
    • GobBluth wrote:

      The answer has always been to change the default sorting to lowest buyout. The fact they haven't made that change after YEARS remains the most confusing decision Hex has made.

      There IS the option to sort by lowest buyout. I disagree that it should be the default for the very simple reason that THE BID PRICE WILL ALWAYS BE LOWER THAN THE BUYOUT PRICE. Also EVERY ITEM HAS A BIDDING PRICE, NOT EVERY ITEM HAS A B/O PRICE. And that's not counting the fact that the default usage mode of an Auction House is bidding.

      The 4 sorting options that you have when sorting according to price is (1) Lowest Bid, (2) highest bid, (3) lowest buyout, (4) highest buyout. It's a toggle system depending on how many times you click the sorting option.
    • Bootlace wrote:

      Warning popup if someone tries to buyout a card when a cheaper buyout alternative is available in the AH?
      On that note to take a step back for a moment. Honest question and pardon my ignorance if there is a good reason for it; but if you are buying out a card, when is it ever better to buyout that card for anything higher than the lowest amount?

      I can't think of any reason right now and if there is none why not just circumvent this whole problem? I can see reasons why you might want to SEE what the other options are but never any where you would want to buy it for the more expensive price.
    • Funktion wrote:

      Bootlace wrote:

      Warning popup if someone tries to buyout a card when a cheaper buyout alternative is available in the AH?
      On that note to take a step back for a moment. Honest question and pardon my ignorance if there is a good reason for it; but if you are buying out a card, when is it ever better to buyout that card for anything higher than the lowest amount?
      I can't think of any reason right now and if there is none why not just circumvent this whole problem? I can see reasons why you might want to SEE what the other options are but never any where you would want to buy it for the more expensive price.
      Well it's a problem that's been around for years, maybe this is an easier fix to get in the game, who knows? And besides from my experience it's always a wise idea to have idiot proof UX in your site/game/app/whatever if you can as there'll always be people who do stuff wrong, even if you have everything set up correctly like I guess "auto sort by cheapest buyout" would be.
    • I think anyone should be able to list anything for whatever price they want. That being said the AH certainly needs some work. I saw a 31p rare listed for 311 earlier today, only the price wasn't visible at all, it had been scrolled under the bottom of the ah and I only got to see the price after selecting it and trying to buy it. Luckily I saw that it was ridiculously over priced and didn't buy it, but it would certainly have been a feel bad moment if I hadn't.
    • Funktion wrote:

      Bootlace wrote:

      Warning popup if someone tries to buyout a card when a cheaper buyout alternative is available in the AH?
      On that note to take a step back for a moment. Honest question and pardon my ignorance if there is a good reason for it; but if you are buying out a card, when is it ever better to buyout that card for anything higher than the lowest amount?
      I can't think of any reason right now and if there is none why not just circumvent this whole problem? I can see reasons why you might want to SEE what the other options are but never any where you would want to buy it for the more expensive price.
      I don't think there is ever a good reason to pay the higher cost.
    • Funktion wrote:

      Honest question and pardon my ignorance if there is a good reason for it; but if you are buying out a card, when is it ever better to buyout that card for anything higher than the lowest amount?
      There isn't really... I mean, there've been a few times where I've bought items in games for higher than lowest prices because I sometimes get sick of the 'undercut by 1' thing... but that's not really a GOOD reason, just me being stubborn ;)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

      Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Eraia wrote:

      Funktion wrote:

      Honest question and pardon my ignorance if there is a good reason for it; but if you are buying out a card, when is it ever better to buyout that card for anything higher than the lowest amount?
      There isn't really... I mean, there've been a few times where I've bought items in games for higher than lowest prices because I sometimes get sick of the 'undercut by 1' thing... but that's not really a GOOD reason, just me being stubborn ;)
      Same. And it's not uncommon, others do it too, out of spite.
      You can't underestimate the trolling spirit.
    • The real issue is not that people are listing at these prices, it is the broke 'cheapest only' function. The way the default view displays is cheapest list prices which favors the high buyout scam. if that function was fixed/removed, people would see the lower buyout prices by default instead of having to uncheck the 'cheapest only' box. Sure these people are intentionally trying to get more money from others but the answer is not to ban them from listing at absurd prices. The real answer is to change the default view from the broken 'cheapest only' crap that exists right now. That is the only reason why they're getting away with it.
    • Styk wrote:

      The real issue is not that people are listing at these prices, it is the broke 'cheapest only' function. The way the default view displays is cheapest list prices which favors the high buyout scam. if that function was fixed/removed, people would see the lower buyout prices by default instead of having to uncheck the 'cheapest only' box. Sure these people are intentionally trying to get more money from others but the answer is not to ban them from listing at absurd prices. The real answer is to change the default view from the broken 'cheapest only' crap that exists right now. That is the only reason why they're getting away with it.
      But that's wrong.
      The 30-311 relies on the buyer spam buying 30-31 cards. You can't do that with Cheapest only active.
    • Vroengard wrote:

      Styk wrote:

      The real issue is not that people are listing at these prices, it is the broke 'cheapest only' function. The way the default view displays is cheapest list prices which favors the high buyout scam. if that function was fixed/removed, people would see the lower buyout prices by default instead of having to uncheck the 'cheapest only' box. Sure these people are intentionally trying to get more money from others but the answer is not to ban them from listing at absurd prices. The real answer is to change the default view from the broken 'cheapest only' crap that exists right now. That is the only reason why they're getting away with it.
      But that's wrong.The 30-311 relies on the buyer spam buying 30-31 cards. You can't do that with Cheapest only active.
      I can just base this off my own experience and the only time i've been close to being fooled by this scam is when I searched for a card and cheapest only was active and I saw a card listed at 30 with a 311 buyout. With the cheapest only function active it was literally the only listing I could see. If cheapest only was not a thing, i would have seen a myriad of listings that included the 311 buyout but also had 31 buyouts. I can only speak for myself on this but I consider myself a savvy hex user and I was almost fooled. Had I seen every listing by default, it would have never even been an issue for me. Just one person's experience though.
    • Styk wrote:

      Vroengard wrote:

      Styk wrote:

      The real issue is not that people are listing at these prices, it is the broke 'cheapest only' function. The way the default view displays is cheapest list prices which favors the high buyout scam. if that function was fixed/removed, people would see the lower buyout prices by default instead of having to uncheck the 'cheapest only' box. Sure these people are intentionally trying to get more money from others but the answer is not to ban them from listing at absurd prices. The real answer is to change the default view from the broken 'cheapest only' crap that exists right now. That is the only reason why they're getting away with it.
      But that's wrong.The 30-311 relies on the buyer spam buying 30-31 cards. You can't do that with Cheapest only active.
      I can just base this off my own experience and the only time i've been close to being fooled by this scam is when I searched for a card and cheapest only was active and I saw a card listed at 30 with a 311 buyout. With the cheapest only function active it was literally the only listing I could see. If cheapest only was not a thing, i would have seen a myriad of listings that included the 311 buyout but also had 31 buyouts. I can only speak for myself on this but I consider myself a savvy hex user and I was almost fooled. Had I seen every listing by default, it would have never even been an issue for me. Just one person's experience though.
      I'm sorry then but that shows that you're more careless than the average player. Hardly what I'd call a Hex savvy player, if you didn't pay attention to Cheapest Only.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Vroengard ().