Friday Update - Star Struck

• End of 2015 (hextcg.com/a-message-from-cory-2015/) Cory said that they have 120,000 active monthly players. I was active then already. For me this only could be a giant lie. Honestly I could not believe that people just went over that line and chose to either believe or just ignore it. For me that was the first giant red flag.

That was years ago (to illustrate that they have a history of lying). I very much feel lied to. Consistently. That and the fact that they got so many things wrong just in general (despite all the feedback) makes me have no mercy at all with them.

Yes...kickstarter should always be taken with caution. HXE did so many things wrong and the communication was so poor though that everyone can and should be rightfuly angry. HXE (and Cory) full well deserves the ire. I hope you can agree to that @Eraia.
    • For the record, as a tester on this game who knows many of the former staff personally, "active" refers to "logged in at least once during the month." It does not mean, for example, "played for at least 5 hours" or "logged in 10 out of 30 days." For whatever that's worth. :)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • They have lied so many damn times throughout the life of hex, hell there was some content on the main god damn front page of the hex website that wasn't even in the game (double backs, looking at you). The amount of communication errors and outright lies hexent has made is mind blowingly bad. Looking back now that ive pretty much quit, some of the stuff they put in rivals the BS some of the more notorious companies do. WoF, siege gambling, the doombringer sleeves.

Not to mention they strung us pve players along for 5 god damn years and have done jack shit on work on it since a few years ago. Stop giving them a free pass, they had malicious intent and gave us lies to string us along for this long. We need to get some youtubers on what happened here so maybe we can get a shred of communication from Hexent, artistgate was only discovered because the artists made noise about it. We should do the same for this.
    • Ossuary wrote:

For the record, as a tester on this game who knows many of the former staff personally, "active" refers to "logged in at least once during the month." It does not mean, for example, "played for at least 5 hours" or "logged in 10 out of 30 days." For whatever that's worth. :)
      I understand. But still..do you think the number is plausible (even back then) ? Does anybody ?
    • Metronomy wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

For the record, as a tester on this game who knows many of the former staff personally, "active" refers to "logged in at least once during the month." It does not mean, for example, "played for at least 5 hours" or "logged in 10 out of 30 days." For whatever that's worth. :)
      I understand. But still..do you think the number is plausible (even back then) ? Does anybody ?
      Yes, it's not a high number for the gaming community. Probably, 120k had a lot of make-up, but some number close to that might be actually true. For example, in the end of 2015 HS had 40 millons (statista.com/statistics/323239…eroes-warcraft-worldwide/), and I read elsewhere that half of those users were "active" (with a lax interpretation such as Ossuary pointed out). Hex should be counting players which registered and only logged in once or two times to arrive to that number.

Now, some more things behind that number. There's a common rule for internet communities: the 80/20. From the 100% of a community, only the 20% remains really active. 20% is an estimate, could be higher, could be less, depends on what you do. So, of those 120k, only 20% (+/-) remains active, which is not the same as "paying customer". So, 20k of "real active" users could be possible at that time (by real active I talk about what Ossuary says, people which logged in a few times during the month). And of that percentage, only a few remains the active community. Which, before the downfall, was around 3k of active users per month, a few years later could be a little higher.

I'm sorry if this reads a little confusing. To clarify: 120k "active" users actually means 20k of the constantly active users, out of which 5/6k could be the real active and paying customers.
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • I see no reason to suspect that the 120K number could have been an outright lie, as it's such a pathetically small number for an online game like this, there'd be no reason to use that as your fake number. No, it's definitely the accurate number, but using my previously stated criteria for "active" (and Plotynus's explanation for how many "real" active and paying players that might conceivably convert into).

Basically, even counting just 1 login per month as active, 120K is a laughably low population count for a trading card game in its so-called prime, so it must have been true. It's definitely not a number that anyone should have been proud of or bragging about.
      --ossuary

• It is just that even when you are willing to accept that the vast majority didnt show up as a possible opponent it still seems a little suspect imo. Even when you assume that just 1% played draft that means 1200 possible opponents. But even back then you played against the same guys with quite some regularity. Honestly 120 drafters seemed closer to the truth than 1200. Idk....

But I am willing to accept the possibilty that I am wrong (which happens rarely with me ;) ).

Maybe the number was true...maybe it was not enough even then. Matter of fact is that we are nowhere near this right now anyways.
      And I would also say that there are still plenty of lies regardless.

Like that player prize money should get paid soon. I can attest to that being a lie personaly ;) .
    • There's no question that the vast majority of them were PVE. That was the whole point. The problem is HexEnt thought they could convert non-paying PVE players into paying PVP players, when what they SHOULD have been doing is trying to convert any kind of non-paying player into any kind of paying player, by giving them lots of free content and a reason to want to collect more cards.

The way they talked, other than their weird hangups on paid cosmetics, that was what they originally wanted and intended to do, but at some point, they stopped trying to do anything other than push people into PVP tournaments, which was fatally misguided at best.
      --ossuary

• Ossuary wrote:

There's no question that the vast majority of them were PVE. That was the whole point. The problem is HexEnt thought they could convert non-paying PVE players into paying PVP players, when what they SHOULD have been doing is trying to convert any kind of non-paying player into any kind of paying player, by giving them lots of free content and a reason to want to collect more cards.

The way they talked, other than their weird hangups on paid cosmetics, that was what they originally wanted and intended to do, but at some point, they stopped trying to do anything other than push people into PVP tournaments, which was fatally misguided at best.
      Totally agree and I am kind of just going in circles with what I have been saying previously. Trying to convert f2p or extremely casual people to a hardcore pvp environment was stupid at best.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

There's no question that the vast majority of them were PVE. That was the whole point. The problem is HexEnt thought they could convert non-paying PVE players into paying PVP players, when what they SHOULD have been doing is trying to convert any kind of non-paying player into any kind of paying player, by giving them lots of free content and a reason to want to collect more cards.

Totally agree and I am kind of just going in circles with what I have been saying previously. Trying to convert f2p or extremely casual people to a hardcore pvp environment was stupid at best.
      I would go as far as saying it is impossible for the extremely casual players. It's just not in their DNA to be competitive. I am actually currently reading a book about habits, and one aspect it mentions is competitiveness. It either is in your nature or it isn't. I don't know any person who became competitive as an adult personally. They were always crazy about winning, even as a child and in their teens. I bet there are exceptions like always, but I have never encountered one. Really stupid strategy to try to change human nature.
    • I've experienced that behavior personally. I'm very much NOT a competitive person. Both of my children, for no apparent reason, are. They hate losing, even in friendly family games. My wife and I both actively encouraged playing fair, playing nice, having fun being more important than winning, etc. It didn't make a difference. In most other areas, we've had good success shaping them into little versions of people you can actually stand to be around, but when it comes to gaming, they're both the worst kind of assholes. ;)

Like, it's so bad, my 7 year old son accuses people of cheating if they win against him at Go Fish. Some people are just wired to be competitive, I guess. :P
      --ossuary

• Ossuary wrote:

I've experienced that behavior personally. I'm very much NOT a competitive person. Both of my children, for no apparent reason, are. They hate losing, even in friendly family games. My wife and I both actively encouraged playing fair, playing nice, having fun being more important than winning, etc. It didn't make a difference. In most other areas, we've had good success shaping them into little versions of people you can actually stand to be around, but when it comes to gaming, they're both the worst kind of assholes. ;)

Like, it's so bad, my 7 year old son accuses people of cheating if they win against him at Go Fish. Some people are just wired to be competitive, I guess. :P

To be honest though, this behaviour seems to be common in some very successful and driven people. If your kids have a passion for a sport for example, I bet they are dedicated as hell with that. Sometimes I wish I had more of that. I have dabbled in many sports, but I always lacked that weird "I knew I wanted to be a champion when I was 4 years old" mentality, so I never stuck with anything. You need both talent and some amount of crazy to be insanely good at anything. So I was usually just decent at everything. The sport that I follow is MMA, and this story repeats with all the champions. Every time. "I started wrestling when I was 3 years old." I was always very competitive." "I drove 4 hours to practice every day after work." "He never lets anyone win a round even in practice." etc.

Use that energy, Oss! Make them champions! Or master musicians. Ehh, what the hell do I know, don't listen to me. :)
    • Ossuary wrote:

I've experienced that behavior personally. I'm very much NOT a competitive person. Both of my children, for no apparent reason, are. They hate losing, even in friendly family games. My wife and I both actively encouraged playing fair, playing nice, having fun being more important than winning, etc. It didn't make a difference. In most other areas, we've had good success shaping them into little versions of people you can actually stand to be around, but when it comes to gaming, they're both the worst kind of assholes. ;)

They could also be sore losers. My boy is the worst kind and always blames his sister for any possible lost and when he wins he mocks everyone and sings ‘ I AM THE CHAMPION’

That being said , I always try to teach him a lesson and always try to beat him at everything to show that he can’t always win and needs to learn to be a good sport.
    • Portensio wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

They could also be sore losers. My boy is the worst kind and always blames his sister for any possible lost and when he wins he mocks everyone and sings ‘ I AM THE CHAMPION’
      That being said , I always try to teach him a lesson and always try to beat him at everything to show that he can’t always win and needs to learn to be a good sport.
      Maybe that's why he always wants to win so bad. His dad keeps kicking his ass, lol.