Friday Update - Star Struck

• I am glad I stopped paying for the game when I did, but I'm also perfectly happy with the money I put into it. I got plenty of enjoyment out of what I paid for, and I don't regret a cent of it.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Ossuary wrote:

Well I'm sure you can understand that the people who never even got what they backed for might not share your optimism over how things went down.
      This a thousand times, it is not about ev or some type of money calculation. It is about the handling of a game with such potential so poorly. It probably is my biggest disappointment in a game ever.

As a complete aside, a game like spellweaver with a fraction of the budget and player base has an easier time getting drafts fired because they are only scheduled for once an hour. Stupid stuff like that should be implemented like a three months ago.
    • I definitely did not get my money's worth. I put a metric shit ton of money into the game, and I did it willingly, BUT IT WAS ALL FOR PREPARATION of co-op, raids, immersive rpg elements, Double Backs etc., AKA all of that PvE goodness we once dreamed of. So of course I'm pissed. Good for people who didn't invest or bailed out a long time ago. You smelled the roses early. Well, I happen to be a very loyal supporter when I believe in something, so I was stupid and naïve enough to hope for way too long and paid for it. Literally paid for it. For me the amount of money is kind of a big deal, because I now feel I was being strung along with false promises and I was taken advantage of because of my belief in Cory. It hurts more because I was so emotionally invested.

Here's a hypothetical scenario: I would be very happy with the game, if HexEnt had admitted there will never be co-op, and that PvE was always going to be a side-project to PvP from the beginning. You see, I would not have invested a fraction of my money then. Sure, I might have still bought a few packs and some fun cards, but I would have only dabbled. And I would be completely fine with the situation today. Unfortunately, Cory sold me my dream game with his glorious promises, and I was all in. I was so all in it's painfully hilarious to think about now.

All this makes me angry, because I feel that Cory took my money for years, and when I finally dared to become antsy about not seeing any of the promised PvE features, he was like "APRIL FOOLS, MOTHERFUCKER!!"
    • Ossuary wrote:

Well I'm sure you can understand that the people who never even got what they backed for might not share your optimism over how things went down.
      If you look at a Kickstarter as a guarantee, then I feel no pity for you when it doesn't deliver. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment, and you have nobody but yourself to blame when it happens. Kickstarter projects are ALWAYS a risk, and they should be treated as such. What you are paying for is an opportunity to give a creator a chance to make a dream a reality, not a direct product.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Eraia wrote:

If you look at a Kickstarter as a guarantee, then I feel no pity for you when it doesn't deliver. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment, and you have nobody but yourself to blame when it happens. Kickstarter projects are ALWAYS a risk, and they should be treated as such. What you are paying for is an opportunity to give a creator a chance to make a dream a reality, not a direct product.
      Nice "blame the victim" mentality you have there.
    • Eraia wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

heard this annoying statement many times... you think with as many times it get pulled out their ass their never be any scams anywhere since everyone should have know how it would end....

lose all your money in stocks? your fault you invested in that company.

lose all your money to a divorce ? your fault since you should have know she was a gold digger.

let friend borrow money an lost it ? still your fault.

so let all be cynical assume everyone a thief or a fool with a dream which has a good chance to fail, keep every dime we have and only spend it when we are 100% going to profit...
    • Eraia wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

This site really needs a dislike button.

This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Kickstarter. It has to do with direct promises the developers made AFTER the Kickstarter, for literally years, that were literally complete lies. We were continually promised that things were being worked on and things were still coming, when it very clearly turned out in retrospect that they weren't even being worked on. Siege was "almost done" when AZ2 came out, and was pulled out "at the last minute" to give them a little more time with it. Fast forward to two years later, when they slapped some piece of crap half baked nonsense into the client with practically no thought or development and expected us to be excited for it. That's just one example.

You keep trying to make this about Kickstarter and minimum legal requirements. Can't you just admit to yourself that the developers lied and took money from people who wanted something they weren't willing or able to deliver? That the people who are upset about that are justified in being so, even if you, personally, are not? I feel like that's a bare minimum even you ought to be able to admit - that people who are upset have a right to be. :P
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • jimmywolf wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Ossuary wrote:

heard this annoying statement many times... you think with as many times it get pulled out their ass their never be any scams anywhere since everyone should have know how it would end....

lose all your money in stocks? your fault you invested in that company.

lose all your money to a divorce ? your fault since you should have know she was a gold digger.

let friend borrow money an lost it ? still your fault.

so let all be cynical assume everyone a thief or a fool with a dream which has a good chance to fail, keep every dime we have and only spend it when we are 100% going to profit...
      Fault? Not at all, but it's your responsibility because it's your money. Whenever you make an investment, there's a risk involved. That's why it's an investment: You're paying "less" in order to obtain "more" in a future. Without that risk, it should be very easy to make money. KS functions in a similar way. You're paying less for the things that you get, because you feel that they should worth more in the future (and for a time, in Hex, this was true).
      Twitter: @Plotynus
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Nice "blame the victim" mentality you have there.
      No. So many people have a stupid mentality towards kickstarter. Kickstarter cautions on its page you are NOT purchasing a product. If you disregard that and take Kickstarter as purchasing a product, you are earning the disappointment you get.

Am I disappointed that my 200 dollars into Project Phoenix is likely going nowhere? A bit. Does it piss me off, do I hate the dev, do I consider them horrible human beings, and do I regret my decision to put that money into it? Not at all. Because I was investing into a dream that I felt deserved a chance to live. The fact that, at this point, it is unlikely to ever come out does not change what the Kickstarter was about.

Am I annoyed that Mighty No 9 was poorly coded, glitchy, and altogether a mediocre experience? Ya. Do I regret the ~120 I put into it? Nope. Because again, it was a dream I wanted to see given a chance to live.

Am I sad that Soul Saga may never see the light due to a Unity glitch that seems unfixable currently? Yep. Do I regret the money I put down on that game? Nope. Because it was a dream I wanted to support.

A healthy approach to Kickstarter mitigates stupid investments and a lot of the feelings of anger and entitlement I see constantly. And not just here. All over the place. There are people practically sending death threats to the project lead of Project Phoenix, for example.

If you take a kickstarter as a promise, and make a decision based off of that promise without recognizing that this is a planned project - essentially a dream - not a product you are investing in... then it's your own damned fault.

To Ossuary. Yes, I agree, the way Hex handled things was awful from a game dev and project management standpoint. But I don't believe they ever overtly lied before the past maybe a year. I believe they had the best of intentions and really WANTED to do those things. It's only been the past 6-12 months that I feel like they've crossed the line into intentionally lying to us. And i don't think many people invested significant chunks of money in the past 6 months.

But yes, I can understand people being upset at having spent money on the game expecting something to eventually come out... but, in the end, they took a risk. They invested early because - if it worked out - they would've saved a whole lot of money getting the stuff they wanted over the people who came on board later.

That was why I bought extra packs, and why I bought the kismet reserve packs, why I always opened my primal packs in stead of selling, and why I bought the Angels of Foresight I bought... because I knew if I waited until PvE was fully implemented, they'd be way more expensive and I wanted them in case it did. But... I don't regret that purchase, because I knew what I was getting into AND I made a point of having fun with what I bought immediately. Not as much as I'd have had later if better PvE had come, but I still made a point of making use of what I had to have fun with when I could. So... it is what it is.

• It's not about investment or risk, it's about someone not delivering on promises made. Regardless of the way the money was collected, it's obvious that it's sensible to be unhappy when those promises are broken. Acting otherwise is completely asinine, but at this point I'm not surprised because I expect that out of you.
    • @Eraia I think that if it was just a Kickstarter promise, it'd have been a smaller blow.

However,
      1) It was also part of the Stretch goals (which, albeit it being part of the Kickstarter, it needs special mention and note),
      2) They did start delivering on it (again, it would have been very different if they couldn't do PvE at all; however they have shown that they can put it in the game) and
      3) They have been repeatedly gone on record to say that the PvE is not abandoned, they're still working on it etc.

I believe that if we got anyone from HXE to answer even nowadays, they'd say that PvE is still a thing they intend to deliver.

It's more nuanced that just "Kickstarted projects always overpromise and underdeliver"