A Look Back (I'm Bummed)

• MtG remains my number 1 TCG because it was so special, so amazing back in 1994 and during several years.
      Hex had the potential to transcend the genre, but they didn't execute... Hex is better than MtGO but not that better.

I am sure PvE is a gold mine. At the difference of PvP where sets are rotating and the size of universe doesn't change a lot, PvE allows you to add unlimited stuff and possibilities for nearly infinite replayability.

Would I have the money, I would buy the assets of HexEnt, fire everybody (if it's not already done...) and:
      - hire a top dev team and led by a A+ software architect to rewrite the code from scratch to create a planet-scale MMORPGTCG;
      - on the other side, the artists are great, I would stay with them;
      - change the business model to allow to play the whole PvP game for $10/month (you could still spend $X000 on collectible stuff);
      - focus on creating a huge PvE universe with content delivery each week;
      - transparently communicate with the community;
      - widely open the game to modding (UI, AI, dungeons...);
      - open source.

With such ambition, you need to imply your community at 100%. This should be THEIR game.

As I don't have the money, I will stay with the following lessons:
      - don't ever play again a game with such business model as it's a bad driver for the game design;
      - do your homework: what the track record of the team says about their ability to deliver the promise?
    • KaminOO wrote:

- do your homework: what the track record of the team says about their ability to deliver the promise?
      I mean... teams with minimal pedigree can produce masterpieces. Look at Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Slay the Spire, etc.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Fred wrote:

Echoing the sentiment here. I don't think I'd have the energy to build for another TCG what I built for Hex (that would be assuming that other games would be as open as Hex about their data).
      I'll do one better. I will never play another TCG or CCG again if it sells any kind of random packs. This business model leads to obsession, compulsion and unhealthy frenzy to collect if you have an addictive personality, which I guess I do. Yay me. It is expansion-style monetization, where you know exactly what you get, for me from now on or GTFO.

HEX was never complete enough to be even close to my favorite game of all time. Heck, I have played better games today. It is not even my favorite card game of all time. However, I can safely say HEX is the best digital card game I ever played. Full-fledged, immersive, co-operative MMO world would have easily elevated HEX to the best game I have ever played. PvE was that important to me personally.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

All are very small in complexity given what hex was aiming for.
      All I'm saying is that you shouldn't necessarily assume pedigree is going to equate to quality. I mean, the devs behind Mass Effect Andromeda were a reputable team who had produced quality games in the past.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• Hex isn't anywhere near my top games, and probably not my top card game. I'd have to give that title to MtG, a game I loved but can't really play much because of adulthood commitments. MODO is an awful cesspit, and I'd hoped Hex could scratch that itch but it never really got there. Pod drafting was probably peak Hex for me; changing to asynch killed my desire to go hard in limited, and a lack of proper casual support (Kitchen table, EDH, Wild west, guilds with loaner decks) meant none of my RL friends would really give the game a shot. I doubt I'll ever get into a digital TCG again; between feeling like I've been burned on Hex and the fact that I'm older with less disposable income will prevent me from opening my wallet.
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

Without the hype, the PvE is little more than a playable demo. No crafting, no consumables, no guilds, no achievements...
      I have already adjusted my expectations. I am certainly not going to care more than the devs do.
      And no to little trade either. PVE is also a free to play way to earn plats, if there's hype. I can still sell extra Brewed Ambrosia I find but that's pretty much it.
      Siege smasher since 2018.
    • Hex is my top card game , pass time , community engagement , time consumption of all time. Even in its current stage and form, if they continued set released i would play a ton.

The art, animation , community , gameplay was the best

Since i stopped playing , I have not found anything that keeps me more than 10 min before being bored. I tried all those ccg bull**it and they just are not getting my attention long enough

Anyways I’ll go continue and be sad now
    • Eraia wrote:

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't necessarily assume pedigree is going to equate to quality. I mean, the devs behind Mass Effect Andromeda were a reputable team who had produced quality games in the past.
      Mass Effect Andromeda was a good game. If it wasn't attached to the Mass Effect series it would have been received much better.
    • I'm not sure why I decided to log in today, but I did. Draft was at 6/8 so I joined and it launched within a few minutes. I built the deck quickly and had two back to back games almost instantly, which was a nice surprise. I'm now sitting for a long time in the 2-0 queue and will probably give up on finding a partner, no surprise since the 2-0 queue has always been slow even in good times. Still, that's much better than I expected based on reading this thread, and the game is still fun.

To those saying the server will shut down, I say this: why? Is the cost of keeping it live really that high, assuming they just halt all support? I'm certainly not anything resembling a business wizard, so maybe I'm way off here. Still, seems like they could go into "life support" mode by putting all the sets up into the store for purchase, set the various festivals and things to run automatically on repeat forever (no new item designs, just rotate the old ones), and so on. Depending on the cash flow of the game, maybe do a burst of development now and then.
    • DunYoss wrote:

To those saying the server will shut down, I say this: why?
      Because it'd be the decent thing to do, if there's no new PvP set or new PvE anything coming in the game. Yes, they can keep it up indefinitely as long as there's any amount of people paying X, where X is the tax + salary of the single person working + company tax + server cost (i.e. exactly what they need to be at 0.00 yearly balance). As long as the game is IN STASIS (which it is right now), there's ONLY downwards to go. You can't have profit if you offer a card game in stasis. AT BEST you break even.

So we wait.

P.S. It's Friday !!!~
    • if they want to keep the game online without further content they should make all sets available with all queues possible or at least change the current draft / evo into a more fun one - for example an ultimate kismet draft / evo with a great pool out of all sets (if there are ppl left who can build such pools ofc) - would be way better than playing the worst set since the start of hex until the end ;p
      Austrian Kickstarter & Slacker Backer
      -=] Dont mess with the bull, you gonna get the horn [=-
    • AceBladewing wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Mass Effect Andromeda was a good game. If it wasn't attached to the Mass Effect series it would have been received much better.
      Mas Effect Andromeda was a mediocre game mired down by a plethora of issues including graphical glitches, trite and bland writing, bad pacing, etc.

It was not an awful game and most people exaggerate how bad it was, but calling it a GOOD game is a huge exaggeration in the opposite direction.

• AceBladewing wrote:

"Good" is not a strong subjective word like "great" or "amazing". So no, I don't think calling a game "good" that is, as you claimed, "not an awful game" is a huge stretch.

Lay off the hyperbole a bit.
      There was no hyperbole in my statement.

It isn't atrocious. It's not 'worst game ever' like some claim. It's not a complete disaster. It has some interesting elements.... but it's not a good game. It is, at best, mediocre.

• Eraia wrote:

AceBladewing wrote:

"Good" is not a strong subjective word like "great" or "amazing". So no, I don't think calling a game "good" that is, as you claimed, "not an awful game" is a huge stretch.

Lay off the hyperbole a bit.
      There was no hyperbole in my statement.
      It isn't atrocious. It's not 'worst game ever' like some claim. It's not a complete disaster. It has some interesting elements.... but it's not a good game. It is, at best, mediocre.
      I guarantee you two will miss each other if we can no longer post on the forums. It might not seem like it now, but it will happen.