A Look Back (I'm Bummed)

• Might be a dumb question, but...

Couldn't folks host their own server for folks to play -unsanctioned-? As long as the game is defunct, I don't think anyone should mind much. Especially if no dollars are changing hands.

Or would this be cost prohibitive?

I seem to remember this sort of thing happening wtih a couple Blizzard games. But, I don't really know what would be involved.

Any ideas?
    • JazzfanTwentySev wrote:

Might be a dumb question, but...

Couldn't folks host their own server for folks to play -unsanctioned-? As long as the game is defunct, I don't think anyone should mind much. Especially if no dollars are changing hands.

Or would this be cost prohibitive?

I seem to remember this sort of thing happening wtih a couple Blizzard games. But, I don't really know what would be involved.

Any ideas?
      It generally requires either a leak or a LOT of reverse engineering for it to be possible(and even then, usually imperfectly). Blizzard games have millions of people playing and thousands of people working on them... making the required combination of leaks and reverse engineering far more likely than it is here...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Given the rampant power creep and less-than-stellar implimentations of things that actually made it into the game, I'd much rather see a spiritual successor over a legacy server.

Edit: Bonus points if that successor somehow gives credits for current collections. Impossible, I know, but we're talking about pipe dreams, not things we expect to happen.
    • Hex is the best game I ever played and ever will play. I've already told my guild, once done with Hex, I'm done with gaming.

Nothing in gaming will come close to the intellectual challenge and amazing company that was enjoying peak Hex.

If you have rich friends, please convince one of them to buy this thing and fix it up.
    • icecon wrote:

Hex is the best game I ever played and ever will play. I've already told my guild, once done with Hex, I'm done with gaming.

Nothing in gaming will come close to the intellectual challenge and amazing company that was enjoying peak Hex.

If you have rich friends, please convince one of them to buy this thing and fix it up.

I can't imagine being a serious content producer for another game; for me, it took quite a bit.
    • Assassin wrote:

Hex was a most expensive lesson for me.

Zubrin wrote:

icecon wrote:

Hex is the best game I ever played and ever will play. I've already told my guild, once done with Hex, I'm done with gaming.

I can't imagine being a serious content producer for another game; for me, it took quite a bit.
      These two sum it up pretty well for me. The idea, the dream of HEX would have been the best game of all time for me. The end result was still great, but not even close to what I hoped and expected. As to the cost of my particular lesson... Boy oh boy, am I glad I bought 1 x Grand King, 1 x Pro Player and 2 x Collector codes from the black market at the peak of HEX hype. You can all probably guess how much those went for. Now imagine paying a price so great you got all the codes without a bid war, because fuck that if you are insanely in love with a product. This is all on top of monthly spending of course. Yeah... I'm feeling juuuust awesome about my spending right now. HEX fundamentally changed how I think about games, however, so at least I got my life lesson out of it. I still feel completely betrayed by Cory. What a snake oil salesman. I hope he is proud of what he accomplished. Take people's money and then show them the finger. Great way to live. I would be embarrassed and ashamed, and would make a heart-felt apology at the very least. Meanwhile... *more crickets*
    • icecon wrote:

I have to say that even though I acknowledge what others say are faults, I tend to agree with the above, although i’d say best tech. Best rpg eg would be either elder scrolls 3, baldurs gate 2 or Witcher 3.

Even at this point in time I can’t find a tcg that is
      better. Hex may fall short of expectation but is that expectation that anyone has fulfilled.

My alternatives lie elsewhere like going back into large single player games or a classic raiding mmo like Warcraft which also had their shortcomings.
    • So Hex is nowhere near the best game I've ever played, personally. There are so many amazing games out there...

Hex isn't even in my top 100, honestly.(which doesn't even say that much, since I likely have several hundred games I've loved over my life.

But as far as TCGs go... it had the potential to be the best TCG I'd ever played. And it is certainly sad to find that potential gone. But I had fun with it while it was here, so my only hard feelings are directed at the person who made the decision to treat us like mushrooms. (Keep us in the dark and feed us bullshit)
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • I agree with Eraia, hex is definitely not the best game or tcg I played. But it had the greatest potential of being something no one has seen before. The potential is definitely what keeps me here until shutdown.

Hex is kind of like hellgate london in that sense, one day someone will get that genre right.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pandaemonium ().

• Hex was the best card game I ever played. Nowhere close to the best game, yeah. But it was such a good card game, frankly all other card games pale in comparison. Shame, really. I'm permanently spoiled for card games now, I guess. Everything else I've tried doesn't even scratch the itch. Guess I'll go back to waiting for Cyberpunk. ;)
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Zubrin wrote:

icecon wrote:

Echoing the sentiment here. I don't think I'd have the energy to build for another TCG what I built for Hex (that would be assuming that other games would be as open as Hex about their data).