Friday Update - Beep Boop

• It's a shitty mobile game using the Hex IP (mostly set 1 cards), and functioning like a Cerberus engine style deckbuilder (pretty much all of the deckbuilder games that Cryptozoic Entertainment makes are Cerberus engine).
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Such a great game, such an atrocious end.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Hidden wrote:

NeroJinous wrote:

Eraia wrote:

Chris is definitely still a CZE employee. And I imagine its as painful for him as it is for us to watch the game die. But I doubt he's doing more than an afternoon a week of work on the game. He's been transferred to other projects, almost certainly.
      Chris' main focus and new job is actually with 80Arcade working on the Shards AI. I'd also not consider Chris' work for hex any sort of care or kindness. Chris Woods is actually a partial owner of hex(Not CZE just Hex), and in addition to his salary also gets a portion of sales.
      I've heard this Shards thing referenced a few times, but I know nothing about it. Can someone fill me in?
      Here's my experience with Shards so far. Get invited to play the game, but instead of having a normal beta situation they want you to join a discord and ask for permission or something even after I already got an invite? Too much "effort" and hassle, decide to wait until I can just download the game or whatever. Get another email saying the client is available for download and I don't have to jump through hoops to play. Download the client and it just flat out doesn't work on my PC.

rip
    • Hidden wrote:

I've heard this Shards thing referenced a few times, but I know nothing about it. Can someone fill me in?
      You're not missing much. It's a pretty bland deckbuilder game, using cards that share names and art with Hex cards, but not much else.

Ouch @Katkilla that sucks - but don't worry, I got to play a few matches, and it's not really very good. Just a way of trying to make SOME money off the Hex IP since Hex itself didn't...
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

Also... I'm terrible at this game.
    • Ossuary wrote:

When WOW TCG was killed off, did they pay out the outstanding tournament prizes? I know they were 6-12 months behind at one point, but did they ever catch up? Or did the last handful of winners just get fucked over? That answer might give insight into what's likely to happen to the last few (ever) tournament winners for Hex, too.
      I am replying just to bump this because I am interested if they paid those people. If not, I am surprised this is the first time I heard about it.
    • AceBladewing wrote:

sindharin wrote:

Really been googling to find a really good tcg to play. Honestly finding it really hard to find one. I played MTG from 93 and it does still seem better than anything else. Heartstone just doesn't work for me I have played it seriously.
      I've said it before, and I'll say it again. MTG Shandalar Online would win the internet.
      Eh honestly I don't like MTG. I dislike the land system(and one or two other mechanical systems) and find the art and lore really bland... so that wouldn't get my interest, at least. But it'd probably be fairly popular. Certainly popular enough to be profitable, if they could design it well.
      Gamer. Streamer. Photographer. Writer. Anime Lover. Possessor of Stuffed Animals.

• The worst part of this dismal death to me isn’t the money I spent on the game, the ~$700 got me hundreds of hours worth of a pretty awesome TCG... the worst part is the emotional and technical effort I invested to try and help improve the game... Thinking how cool getting to the finals of the card-design intern competition and regretting that I could never to take the risk of quitting my job even if I did win... the super long forum posts espousing about all the possibilities and potential....

Just a big fucking waste on people that had a pretty solid initial vision and then shit else in execution, project management, community management and communication... but at least they nailed to snake-oil salesman hype enough to get a passionate fan base to set up a council of white knights and thank them for taking our money.

Remarkable sad mismanagement, but it’s really our fault, super obvious from day 0 and constantly reinforced.
    • Dekroma wrote:

The worst part of this dismal death to me isn’t the money I spent on the game, the ~$700 got me hundreds of hours worth of a pretty awesome TCG... the worst part is the emotional and technical effort I invested to try and help improve the game... Thinking how cool getting to the finals of the card-design intern competition and regretting that I could never to take the risk of quitting my job even if I did win... the super long forum posts espousing about all the possibilities and potential....

Just a big fucking waste on people that had a pretty solid initial vision and then shit else in execution, project management, community management and communication... but at least they nailed to snake-oil salesman hype enough to get a passionate fan base to set up a council of white knights and thank them for taking our money.

Remarkable sad mismanagement, but it’s really our fault, super obvious from day 0 and constantly reinforced.
      The exalted system may have done more harm then good. Fred's website, hexprice and hextcgbrowser I hope would have still existed if that wasn't around.

What amazes me is there are still some whiteknights around. They are definitely not shills though (there may have been one, but none of the above). I am going to the paranoid here, but I remember a podcast being "negative" and saying things should change and they got salt harpy as a spoiler.
    • Eraia wrote:

Eh honestly I don't like MTG. I dislike the land system(and one or two other mechanical systems) and find the art and lore really bland... so that wouldn't get my interest, at least. But it'd probably be fairly popular. Certainly popular enough to be profitable, if they could design it well.
      The reason Shandalar was awesome had nothing to do with the card game mechanics. It was the questing and playing to win cards to build your collection/deck. You could replace the card game with any card game you want and it would be great still.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Dekroma wrote:

The worst part of this dismal death to me isn’t the money I spent on the game, the ~$700 got me hundreds of hours worth of a pretty awesome TCG... the worst part is the emotional and technical effort I invested to try and help improve the game... Thinking how cool getting to the finals of the card-design intern competition and regretting that I could never to take the risk of quitting my job even if I did win... the super long forum posts espousing about all the possibilities and potential....

The exalted system may have done more harm then good. Fred's website, hexprice and hextcgbrowser I hope would have still existed if that wasn't around.
      What amazes me is there are still some whiteknights around. They are definitely not shills though (there may have been one, but none of the above). I am going to the paranoid here, but I remember a podcast being "negative" and saying things should change and they got salt harpy as a spoiler.
      Probably Threshold. The Knights of White drove off Outlandish Matt for being critical of some hex's decisions/abusing community goodwill.
    • I'm kinda salty that the game seems to end on a set like Doombringer.

By far my least favourite since Primal Dawn. And considering pve had been thrown down the bottomless abyss quite some time ago , I would have loved for Hex to at least go all the way to what was programmed pvp wise, aka set 10 and the wrap up of the whole Frozen arena saga.

But no.

" We'll be late 2 months for the latest set guys, and then give you some news"

But no news. There won't be any set 10, or else you would have started giving us some sneak peek, even maybe just to make us wait 2 more months like " we're sorry for the delay, but it's still coming guys, look at this new mechanic we're working on ! "

Or whatever.

But no.

I only pass by the forums and the hex website once a week anymore, and it's blablantly obvious that there is no intention to go on as a proper game.

Just milking the cow dry for as long as you can. I don't blame you for that, now that you're there, it's the best you can still do, but I do blame you for all the prior mismanagement that got the game in this position.
      Awaiting the Doomwalker's arrival in Entrath since the Beta.

" Honey, where's my chaos key ?
      - Have you searched in your chaos coat ?
      - Shoot I left it in the chaos car... "

... Still be waiting for a while it seems ...
    • Dekroma wrote:

This. We were just blinded by the marvelous promise. A good lesson for me : never ignore red flags.

Since servers are still running, there is a small hope, like 0.x% something good will happen.
      The only hope is a deep pockets editor relaunching the project.
      Plus : a lot of stuff already designed, gorgeous art
      Minus : I guess they would have to recode almost everything as HexEnt wasn't a tech company and engineering was obviously poor (meaning big technological debt, no scalability...) and one of the reason of the failure (Red flag 1: I have seen many enthousiastic people who left before Set 1!)
    • It was pretty obvious that they were really inexperienced with designing videogames... but experience can be acquired. They had years to learn and realize what they needed. Arrogance held them back.

• NicoSharp wrote:

It just saddens me to see something like pve campaign, and rpg merc systems that allowed for so much creative freedom get pissed away due to inept decisions leading to where we are today.

Who knows how long it’ll be until a game wrapped in a similar package, can deliver the same, and more, with the leadership and consistency needed to drive it towards success.

At least we know other companies are trying, but it’s still going to take a Herculean effort, to get to the core of what HEX offered, but so easily lost sight and focus of.
      "Once we build the buckets it'll be really easy to fill them" (paraphrasing @HEXCoryJones) . . . those buckets still look pretty empty to me.

I'm reminded of some of the discussions of making 'Star Wars 1313' where the developers and project leads would be working for months (or years) on things, then have George stop by and say "Oh, we should change the setting for this story to another location, there should be more bad guys, and I don't think this should be a Boba Fett story anymore so make it a random mercenary." Those ideas, which would take a week or two and moderate cash overrun to adjust in a film, would cost months of time to rework as well as a boatload of cash to adjust in a video game.

@HEXCoryJones is not George Lucas, but I think they have similar failings: trying to apply non-video game production logic to video game production. Not understanding the breadth and depth of how to render the scope of their ideas into a video game. Combined with an almost pathological aversion to making changes (even changes that are almost universally seen as good for the game) because it would violate a kickstarter promise imposed a rigidity that is anathema to software production. Cory's amazingly creative, but much like George, he needs an editor to tell him 'No' or at least say 'No, because what you're asking is technically possible, but practically unfeasible because of X, Y, and X'.

Hex had a lot of promise. I still think it could do well under the right direction. But given the current direction and leadership, I don't see how that happens without a rethink of a lot of items and I just don't know the possibility of that sort of rethink.
    • I feel like the community helped to instill a fear of making change in them, because every time they tried to make changes it burned them. Hell, they were still receiving flack for the SG changes as recently as a month ago...

But I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dylan. They just needed someone to rein them in and keep them on target... you know, a proper project manager like Ossuary keeps saying.