Who is playing The Lord of the Rings Living Card Game?

• Who is playing The Lord of the Rings Living Card Game?

Becouse there is no offtopic section I wanted to ask here ...

Who else is playing The Lord of the Rings Living Card Game? Do you like it? What do you think overall about game?

For people who are not familar with game, Early Access started like week ago, so far i was able to found over 10 players from hex, mostly this players who was intrested PVE.

store.steampowered.com/app/509…e_Rings_Living_Card_Game/

review isnt great (mixed) but HEX had similar, why so low? they made 2 not best decisions at release around microtransactions/economy, but they changed mind and reversed them
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Tribunal streamed it a few days back. I honestly wasn't impressed enough to warrant a buy. One reason the reviews are so low is there is a loot box system in it that looks pretty poor. People consider a living card game something where you buy all the cards at once.

Actually there is absolutly no lootboxes inthe game. And they clearly stated during the dev of the game they want to stay far away of it.

So I don't know what you call lootbox ?

It is a LCG so you know exactly which cards are in a pack you buy. Not randomization...
      You can also buy all cards as singles with the f2p curren y of the game.

There is a palantir view which is like a chest in Hex more or less. So mayve you calle that lootbox... But
      1/ you never get in a palantir something you already have in full.
      2/ palantir are not purchasable items. They are gifted when you buy heroes packs (like hex chest) or as rewards if you perform well in the game...

You are not the first person I read who said that.
      I am clue less why you think that...

It is evel less lootboxy than ccg or Hex because of no random in pack opening...
    • I've been playing it a little. It's ok, it's got potential I think. If they can deliver on co-op I'll continue putting money in because hey, who else is doing that these days....?

On a related note, Ertzi got me into Faeria over the weekend, and I'm pretty much playing that non-stop at the moment. It's not Hex, but it's polished, different, and fun.

Just keeps going to show how much of an opportunity Hex squandered.
    • Gregangel wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Tribunal streamed it a few days back. I honestly wasn't impressed enough to warrant a buy. One reason the reviews are so low is there is a loot box system in it that looks pretty poor. People consider a living card game something where you buy all the cards at once.
      Actually there is absolutly no lootboxes inthe game. And they clearly stated during the dev of the game they want to stay far away of it.

So I don't know what you call lootbox ?

It is a LCG so you know exactly which cards are in a pack you buy. Not randomization...
      You can also buy all cards as singles with the f2p curren y of the game.

There is a palantir view which is like a chest in Hex more or less. So mayve you calle that lootbox... But
      1/ you never get in a palantir something you already have in full.
      2/ palantir are not purchasable items. They are gifted when you buy heroes packs (like hex chest) or as rewards if you perform well in the game...

You are not the first person I read who said that.
      I am clue less why you think that...

It is evel less lootboxy than ccg or Hex because of no random in pack opening...
      The palantir is what I was referring to and I concede that it is no where near as lootboxy as hex or other card games. I think the ire comes from it being called a lcg when that doesnt seem the case. It really is a small matter, but for whatever reason the game just didnt grow on me.

I should have played eternal awhile back but focused on hex, not sure if I want to devote time and resources to it now that it is a little older. Artifact will be something I will definitely try. It looks like solforge on crack and if they can keep the monetization reasonable then they might have winner.
    • cainhu wrote:

I played a few matches, and the potential is definitely there. What keeps me from playing more, is that I often encounter bugs, more than one bugging out at the final encounter of a mission. So, I wait a bit for patches.

I purchased the lowest package.
      there was some patch today with fixing bugs etc, devs forgot to put patch notes, so its hard to tell what they fixed actualy
    • Taleisin wrote:

I am liking it as well. interestingly enough, Eternal has captured my attention a bit more even. I am split between the two. Hard to believe a game that is only 2 years old seems so much more polished than Hex on any number of fronts.
      I was going to jump into LOTR, but I ended up trying Eternal first and I'm really liking it. I will probably pick up LOTR at some point, but I may hold off for right now. But yeah, Eternal is like Hex done right. Hex is still the superior game on many levels, but Eternal's product right now just seems top-notch.
    • I am playing LotR LCG when I have the time, which has been rarely these past few days. I was kinda on the fence for it for a while, but something recently clicked and I started enjoying it a lot more. You need to approach it very differently than other card games I have played. This took me some time and I wasn't having fun really, as something felt off. As a veteran of card games, it took me more time to "get" what makes it good/exciting/entertaining with this game than with any other card game I have played. But I got there. I see the appeal now. The co-op will decide everything for me of course.

Easily the best part of the game is the communication though. Check out this direct quote from a developer mere days (might have only been hours, didn't count) after a player had an issue (coming from HEX, you can imagine what this feels like to see):

"Moonshadow, I sent you and email on refund and how that can be
      accomplished. I would regardless want to keep working with you to fix
      the issue, even if you do get a refund since my goal is to solve this
      and all the other connectivity issues remaining.

The dev team
      has been focusing on server issues since launch, and we've made minor
      and major changes nearly each evening. Since we have a dev team on one
      end of the world and a community manager on the other, there will be a
      delay until US day time before the build notes are listed. We're
      looking at ways (other than Luke keeping Luke from sleeping) to improve
      that situation.

Last night a major server change was put in that
      will help alleviate problems for some, and we continue to look at this
      very closely. Our overall connectivity success rate is reporting back
      at 99.7% now, but these remaining issues are very problematic to crack.
      99.7% is not 100%, so it remains unacceptable.

To anyone who is
      still experiencing any issues on connectivity- we apologize. You want
      this to work and expect this to work, and we've fallen short. We are
      continuing to improve server speed and reliability for those who can
      connect while trying to fix issues for those who cannot. For those who
      cannot connect, please file a helpshift ticket. Obviously if you can't
      connect, you can't do it in the game, but you can reach out here: https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/asmodee-net/.

For
      the people like MoonShadow who have really complex issues, we may ask
      you to do a few things to help us work the issue. That's the only way
      we will be able to solve the remaining issues. I completely understand
      and accept that some people will tell us off and just get a refund.

That's
      your absolute right and we have fallen short for you. Maybe someday
      you might check us out again, or not. Either way, we're sorry to see
      you go but completely understand.

For those who are willing to
      work with us to sort these out, we will be very grateful and it will
      help us to sort out the issues for others who might be experiencing the
      same issue.

For those with Collector's Edition who want a refund,
      we will work with you. This purchase was done through the Fantasy
      Flight Games store. Therefore the refund will have to go through them
      as it is not a Steam direct purchase. You can do that here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/customer-service/

We will work with you to make sure that refund happens though you will have to go through the extra pain of a physical return.

We want you to play this game and enjoy it.

Tech issues are keeping you from doing that.

We will continue to keep working on this issue until we get it right.

Tim Gerritsen"

I mean, jesus. This alone will keep me as a customer, if they keep this up.
    • pjvedder wrote:

Taleisin wrote:

I am liking it as well. interestingly enough, Eternal has captured my attention a bit more even. I am split between the two. Hard to believe a game that is only 2 years old seems so much more polished than Hex on any number of fronts.
      I was going to jump into LOTR, but I ended up trying Eternal first and I'm really liking it. I will probably pick up LOTR at some point, but I may hold off for right now. But yeah, Eternal is like Hex done right. Hex is still the superior game on many levels, but Eternal's product right now just seems top-notch.
      Sadly Eternal sells random packs. I meant it when I said I will never touch those games again. Would love to test it otherwise. :(

If they ever change into a B2P model like Faeria did, I will be all over it. I paid $25 for Faeria about a month ago, I have played it over 80 hours and I have all the cards. Now THAT is a model I will support. None of this pay hundreds and still get nowhere shit. They will get my money on day 1 of the next expansion. Until that, it's LotR for me, unless something new and exciting pops up.
    • I mean, that response used to be something that Hex would write. But that was years ago. If they still acted like that, I'm sure there'd be a lot more players. But I think they ran out of the means to keep working so diligently and make assurances like those.
      Old username: Aradon | Collector backer | Starting a guild for Newbies -- "The Cerulean Acadamy" -- Taking applications once guilds are implemented
    • Answers like that came from Phenteo, and Chris Woods whenever they let him crawl out of his cubicle long enough to see questions on the forums. Once Shawn left, the whole company's responsiveness to the fanbase went in the toilet pretty much overnight. Most of the rest of the staff (with a couple of notable exceptions who are long gone now) either didn't know how to deal with the community, didn't care, or for some insane reason, wasn't allowed to.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • DraXor wrote:

cainhu wrote:

I played a few matches, and the potential is definitely there. What keeps me from playing more, is that I often encounter bugs, more than one bugging out at the final encounter of a mission. So, I wait a bit for patches.

I purchased the lowest package.
      there was some patch today with fixing bugs etc, devs forgot to put patch notes, so its hard to tell what they fixed actualy
      Thanks for the info. I'll try the game again on the weekend.

My experience with Asmodee and FFG is good so far, so I guess it won't be different for LotR.
    • I've got 15ish hours into it. I was originally very negative due to the microtransaction volume as well as the fact that I was expecting the paper LCG and that's not what we got.

But it's decently fun, if not stupidly easy. The presentation is nice, the story/asset team is doing a bang-up job. The AI is pants-on-head stupid (maybe not as stupid as Hex's AI) so the game is ridiculously easy. Even with the limited card pool within 12 hours I had a perfect score on every mission with every hero on hard mode and completed all of the "fun" achievements (most of the achievements are boring "volume" achievements.. kill 1000 orcs, etc).

It's a pretty fun solo casual game, though the microtransaction volume is a bit brutal.
    • Holy shit. Looks pretty fun too. I was honestly so cynical about anhything co-op after HEX that I was sure it would still take like 6 months or something, despite all the messages to the contrary. Wow, looks like they are actually pulling this off. Refreshing to see developers that deliver on their promises.

See, HXE, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO CREATE A UI FOR CO-OP! I can easily follow everything here and it's not messy to me at all. And this is just the test version. I'm even more certain now that the lack of co-op with HEX had nothing to do with technical issues.
    • Ertzi wrote:

Holy shit. Looks pretty fun too. I was honestly so cynical about anhything co-op after HEX that I was sure it would still take like 6 months or something, despite all the messages to the contrary. Wow, looks like they are actually pulling this off. Refreshing to see developers that deliver on their promises.

See, HXE, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO CREATE A UI FOR CO-OP! I can easily follow everything here and it's not messy to me at all. And this is just the test version. I'm even more certain now that the lack of co-op with HEX had nothing to do with technical issues.
      let me quote community manager from lotr lcg (from discod), right after coop stream, when we had conversation about coop, what we like and what we dont

"As always, the feedback helps us guide things in certain directions. I know people are passionate about the game, which is great to see. We've already made a couple calls based on immediate feedback, which we'll cover in Tuesday's stream."

it was just a 1st view of coop, of course it need polishing and balancing, but looks promising, they had EA release like 3-4 months ago and the yare planing to release coop this year, everything is going pretty fast in development.

Also they promised for 'content' release every month for a next year, last month it was new mode aka 'encounters', this month they are planing to release coop

for those who might didnt know, they gave up F2P model and now its plan to be more like dlc/expansion purchase model

more info here steamcommunity.com/games/50958…etail/1680298966363774538