Sean Murray And The Controversial "No Man's Sky" Could Do It

• Sean Murray And The Controversial "No Man's Sky" Could Do It

HexEnt,

Where it feels like we are in the current state of affairs with "Hex:Shards of Fate":

"You [HexEnt] killed what should have been the greatest computer TCG ever, destroyed the most positive and supportive game community ever. I doubt I could have reach worst outcome for Hex if I planned it." --- RoyG

"Hex was supposed to be revolutionary MMOTCG,the lore,art and ideas were brilliant.It should of been at millions of players and bigger than MTG,making millions of dollars each months and entertaining and bringing fun to people.The vision that people wanted was abandoned for hard core PVP despite multiple red flags and warnings.
      There's nothing I want more than to use lots of **** words to explain more clearly what I think about Hex ent and the situation but it will most likely get me banned and I
      prefer to save it for next week." --- RoyG

"Hex Ent don't have the money to pay for art, or tournament cash prizes, and at this point probably programming and bug fixing." --- RoyG

"Stop it, please! Sell the game or just close the the servers." --- RoyG

Where "Hex:Shards of Fate" - perhaps possibly - could be:

"No Man’s Sky is back in the number one position on Steam after yesterday’s successful launch of No Man’s Sky latest update, called “Next"

"It feels like a corner has been turned in the game’s story, both in terms of the game itself and the drama surrounding it."

"In many ways it feels like the version of [i]No Man’s Sky that has always been promised to players."[/i]

"And the players are responding positively, at least so far. No Man’s Sky suffered a vicious backlash when the finished version of the game didn’t deliver what fans felt they were promised during the game’s hype cycle, and No Man’s Sky developer Hello Games went silent in the wake of the controversy.
      But they continued to work on the game and release updates, partly as a way to deal with the anger of the community."

"People ask what we did, and I don’t think we did anything particularly good or clever,” Sean Murray said in a recent interview with Eurogamer. “I’m not sure anyone can — an angry mob is crowdsourcing ways to make your life difficult, and they know how to do that. So I did what I did when I was a kid when I was getting shit at school or when I’ve had shitty bosses. I threw myself into work and made games.”

"The overall reviews are “mostly negative” after more than 83,000 players have weighed in. But the recent reviews are listed as “very positive” after 1,981 players have shared thoughts about the newer version of the game. While there are still some people who aren’t happy — welcome to life — the general sentiment has shifted in an overwhelmingly positive direction."

All above quotes procured from "The Second Coming of No Man's Sky" article [polygon.com]

I understand that most forum lurkers are going to respond concerning a No-Man's-Sky-Redemption for Hex with a well-deserved: "Yeah right - FAT FUC*ING CHANCE", and I wholeheartedly agree with such a response, but I'm guessing that the No Man's Sky player-base (before the major updates) said the exact same thing, and Sean Murray was able to pull off a come-back in spite of the overwhelming, yet non-irrational, negativity.

*Sigh* - Sure hope Cory and HexEnt finds a way to unlikely redemption; the core game is really fuc*ing good...and the remaining (and past player-base) HAVE HAD GREAT FUC*ING IDEAS to help pave a way.
    • Never played or really looked into No Man's Sky, but how big of a team did they have to develop it before and after launch and Next?

I'm saying this because Hex's big problem seems to be simply money management. NMS had a bad core game (so i've heard repeatedly), but if they had a good enough team behind it, and the cash to actually pay them reasonably, they could fix it. Hex has good bones, but they don't have the money to actually pay anyone to fix anything it seems. What we're left with is a game withering on the vine.
    • Here's the difference: Sean Murray strives under the negativity to prove everyone wrong. Cory Jones doesn't. It is the attitude and management that ultimately become this game's downfall whereas NMS only has gameplay issue and "false advertisment" to deal with. Hex's gameplay, unlike NMS, is never bad. Huge difference right there even though looking at them from the outside feels the same to you. They are negative for very different reasons.

Edit: Also, one incident doesn't suddenly make everything easily possible. You can look at Bill Gates and say that "I don't need a college degree to be extremely successful", but that's just ignoring all the people without college degree that are not as successful because they are not on wikipedia and are merely nobody. One Bill Gates doesn't suddenly make college degree obsolete.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Goliathus ().