Friday Update - Cake is Good

• You simply cannot wait too long in a multiplayer PvP game. Here's the thing, people want content and most people in the world are not super patient. This is especially so in a card game. Whenever a card game doesn't provide new content in a certain amount of time, doomsayers will come out and sway people away and most people will move on. In this case, there is no hope at all for Hex to succeed anymore. Look at PoxNora for instance, there are still a few veterans playing it, but it will never be huge again, no matter how brilliant or whatever the revival plan is. No people would buy the hype anymore, and like most entertainment products, one usually only have one chance to succeed. Just look at how many single album artists are out there, or games that are one and done, or movie that have a sequel-ready ending but didn't get a sequel because they don't make enough impact.

This is especially lethal to a game like Hex because no one wants to play in a ghost town. To me, the game isn't fun if only like 10 players are playing so I am not playing it either even if their miracle plan works.

More importantly, you are bleeding server cost if you just keep the server up with no plan. That, from a business perspective, is a horrible move.

GryphonGardens wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

AxelDWater wrote:

What I can understand from their latest moves, is that they have some kind of salvation plan.
      Please expand on that, because you're the first person to claim so.
      I too tend to believe they have a plan, because they did not do the most obvious cashgrab on their way out: devaluing players collections. They could for example set the card price ceiling at 5 times the price floor and to sell cards directly at this ceiling price. That would be a huge boon for new players and a short term boost.
      On the other hand, a successful rescue would take a remarkable competency. I would be shocked if HxE could do it.
      Or maybe they are just so horrible with their business plan that they can't even perform a successful cash grab.
    • GryphonGardens wrote:

Vroengard wrote:

AxelDWater wrote:

What I can understand from their latest moves, is that they have some kind of salvation plan.
      Please expand on that, because you're the first person to claim so.
      I too tend to believe they have a plan, because they did not do the most obvious cashgrab on their way out: devaluing players collections. They could for example set the card price ceiling at 5 times the price floor and to sell cards directly at this ceiling price. That would be a huge boon for new players and a short term boost.
      On the other hand, a successful rescue would take a remarkable competency. I would be shocked if HxE could do it.
      I get what you mean but the collections were devalued lately by (in chronological order)
      1. PS port having no trade (hence smaller market for cards, hence prices are down)
      2. Unbalanced price:value rate for the preconstructed decks (if you bought the Goldfather from the Store and sold the R/L cards individually you'd make a profit before the market adjust downwards)
      3. Removing cash prizes from tournaments (card usefulness goes down if it earns you less money or no money at all, hence its price goes down)
    • Vroengard wrote:

Is @Zubrin doing ok? His last 10-20 posts are all completely off-topic, talking about Rome, economic topics, books, other games.
      Are we witnessing the birth of Zubrin"the distractor"-bot?

Thank you for subcribing to Hex Tournament Facts.

Your Hex tournament fact: The largest competitive, non-test tournament in Hex's history was the December 18th, 2016 Platinum Plunder. It had 572 entrants and Ratticus was the winner. The second largest is a tie between the Radiant Rumble that had 435 players with Justiis as the winner and the First Hex Clash on April 2nd, 2017 had 435 players with Norwind winning the tournament.

Press 2 to unsubscribe to tournament facts.
    • Those were also free tournaments when the game had the potential of being the next big thing. I am sorry but hex should have realized years ago that a hardcore tcg was not viable. It drastically underestimated how many people were sticking around not to make $@×/# money on a tournament but having a fun game.
    • It's not that they don't care, it's that they're terrible at business and too stubborn to admit it or hire a business analyst or god forbid a project manager. It's sad, really, because practically anyone could (and did!) tell them these things if they'd only have listened. Great designers. Fucking awful business people.
      --ossuary

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
      - Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
    • Ossuary wrote:

It's not that they don't care, it's that they're terrible at business and too stubborn to admit it or hire a business analyst or god forbid a project manager. It's sad, really, because practically anyone could (and did!) tell them these things if they'd only have listened. Great designers. Fucking awful business people.
      Quoted for truth.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Those were also free tournaments when the game had the potential of being the next big thing. I am sorry but hex should have realized years ago that a hardcore tcg was not viable. It drastically underestimated how many people were sticking around not to make $@×/# money on a tournament but having a fun game.

Your Hex Tournament Fact: The Hex Clash was not a free tournament.

• Zubrin wrote:

Pandaemonium wrote:

Those were also free tournaments when the game had the potential of being the next big thing. I am sorry but hex should have realized years ago that a hardcore tcg was not viable. It drastically underestimated how many people were sticking around not to make $@×/# money on a tournament but having a fun game.
      Your Hex Tournament Fact: The Hex Clash was not a free tournament.

Who cares, 450 people isnt enough for a company to live off of.
    • Me: Post historical tournament data
      Panda: "Those were also free tournaments"
      Me: No, one wasn't.
      Panda: Who cares?

I mean, you brought up the distinction between free and paid, so you obviously care. When confronted on the misleading statement, you decided that the point that you solely brought up, didn't matter. So, great job making two posts that you declared to be pointless. I do recognize where you have moved the new goalposts to be for this argument that you are making, but who cares?
    • Zubrin wrote:

Me: Post historical tournament data

I mean, you brought up the distinction between free and paid, so you obviously care. When confronted on the misleading statement, you decided that the point that you solely brought up, didn't matter. So, great job making two posts that you declared to be pointless. I do recognize where you have moved the new goalposts to be for this argument that you are making, but who cares?
      That argument is pointless, I am wrong clash was not free at the beginning. I am sorry...

But the main point that I guess you dont want to talk about is that the tournaments showed that hex did not have enough players to live off on.

I am guessing the average tournament was around 170 players? Does the bot know? Does the bot think that any of those numbers are viable for a company like hex?
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

Zubrin wrote:

Me: Post historical tournament data

That argument is pointless, I am wrong clash was not free at the beginning. I am sorry...
      But the main point that I guess you dont want to talk about is that the tournaments showed that hex did not have enough players to live off on.

I am guessing the average tournament was around 170 players? Does the bot know? Does the bot think that any of those numbers are viable for a company like hex?
      I am not sure why you are arguing with the bot. The bot is here to provide factual points, not implying anything besides that. For instance, if a history bot shares fact about some horrible things people did to other people in WW2, it doesn't mean the bot is supporting those actions, it is merely presenting history.
    • Pandaemonium wrote:

We get it. You're convinced that HXE's PVP focus is what fucked up the game. You make this point in every single post. Not everyone agrees with you. I, for example, think every hour they spent developing PVE was wasted time, and if that time had been used on proper support for casual PVP formats (EDH, Rock/Pauper, Kitchen Table Mode) then the game would have done much better. No one is changing anyone else's mind at this late stage.